UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DoLoop Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10373  
Subject: Upgrading to new version of Quicken Date: 7/16/2012 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm going to be helping a friend install / upgrade Quicken on a new computer. The old computer is running Quicken 2000 on Windows XP. The new computer will be using Quicken Deluxe 2012 running on Windows 7 64 bit. My friend wants to transfer / import all of his old data to the new setup.

I've googled and read several things on this. Most significantly, two different positions:
(1) - Sure, no problem. Q2012 will import the old data just fine.
(2) - Before trying to import the data into 2012, you have to first import and save it using Quicken 2004 (or later).

Any one here have any experience with this situation? What did you find to be the case?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DoLoop Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9986 of 10373
Subject: Re: Upgrading to new version of Quicken Date: 7/16/2012 1:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Actually, I mis-described what I found via Google.

I found differing positions as to whether Q2000 would install / run on Windows 7 64 bit. Some said it would - others said no, it wouldn't. And, because it wouldn't, I would not only have to install a newer version of Quicken but also, then go through the two-step process of converting the data files.

So again my question: has anyone gone through this? How did it work out?

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9987 of 10373
Subject: Re: Upgrading to new version of Quicken Date: 7/16/2012 4:37 PM
Recommendations: 4
Check out this thread from about a month ago.

http://boards.fool.com/updating-quicken-30083730.aspx?sort=w...

I think you want to update/convert your Quicken file to the required format (sounds like Q2004) on the old machine. Then install Q2012 on your new machine and open the old file. Let Q make any updates to the file at that point.

Keep copies of each transitional file until you are certain all your data has been converted and is readable in the newest format.

Good luck
Kurt

Author: DoLoop Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9988 of 10373
Subject: Re: Upgrading to new version of Quicken Date: 7/16/2012 5:21 PM
Thanks Kurt. I had seen that thread you referenced but had forgotten about it.

Thanks also for the pointer about updating to Q2004 on the old machine. I was wondering about that and I think it's the right way to do it.

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9989 of 10373
Subject: Re: Upgrading to new version of Quicken Date: 7/17/2012 4:42 PM
I'm going to be helping a friend install / upgrade Quicken on a new computer. The old computer is running Quicken 2000 on Windows XP. The new computer will be using Quicken Deluxe 2012 running on Windows 7 64 bit. My friend wants to transfer / import all of his old data to the new setup.

I've never made that big a jump. I did upgrade from Q99 to Q2004 when I got a new computer. (IIRC, that was a move from Win98 to WinXP.) I installed Q2004 on the new computer, restored backup files, and spent a couple hours running between the computers and figuring out what odd, years-old transactions were different because the numbers didn't match. I don't remember the details, but it was some stuff that I had entered clumsily before Q99 that Q2004 misinterpreted the sign on.

I have no idea whether it's necessary to go to 2004 before 2012, as I'm at 2006 now. I think it's a Very Good Idea to keep Q2000 running on the old computer until you can verify that the data on the newer version on the new computer matches. If there are a lot of years of data, you might find something that needs to be fixed. Or you might not; your friend might have been smarter about transaction entry than I was.

Patzer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement