UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Barbisol Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4657  
Subject: Upholstery Question Date: 3/24/2004 12:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently contacted an upholsterer to recover two small couches. If I purchase fabric thru her I will pay for the fabric and the labor. If I provide the fabric, she charges a fee of $14.00 per yard in addition to the labor charge. Does anyone know if this fee is typical? Frankly, I could see a certain amount of upcharge since she wouldn't make any profit on the fabric if I provide it, but this fee seems pretty steep to me. Any other opinions out there???
Print the post Back To Top
Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3362 of 4657
Subject: Re: Upholstery Question Date: 3/24/2004 3:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I recently contacted an upholsterer to recover two small couches. If I purchase fabric thru her I will pay for the fabric and the labor. If I provide the fabric, she charges a fee of $14.00 per yard in addition to the labor charge. Does anyone know if this fee is typical? Frankly, I could see a certain amount of upcharge since she wouldn't make any profit on the fabric if I provide it, but this fee seems pretty steep to me. Any other opinions out there???

Hm... are the couches in need of anything other than fabric? Will cushions need to be replaced? Structural materials?

The upholstery work COULD involve something other than fabric and labor. If all such things are included in this $14/yard surcharge, I might consider it.

But otherwise... how much does the fabric cost? I'd probably be looking for a different upholsterer.

Author: mukluk Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3365 of 4657
Subject: Re: Upholstery Question Date: 3/24/2004 7:05 AM
It sounds like the $14/yd. is the upholsterer's markup on the fabric -- i.e. they discount the cost of upholstery and make their money on selling fabric. You may be better off if you can get some quality fabric for a cheap price at a fabric warehouse. I got some brand name chenille for a chair for $5/yd. at one of those places that would have retailed for around $40/yd.

Generally, the best way to tell if you are getting the best price is to get several quotes.

Mo.

Author: VesperLynd Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3366 of 4657
Subject: Re: Upholstery Question Date: 3/24/2004 8:58 AM
Recommendations: 1

If I were you, I would shop around. When I recently had my sofa reupholstered - there was only one charge for the labor itself. I did purchase my fabric from that company as well, but the price would have been the same for labor, regardless of whether I provided it or they did.

VL

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3367 of 4657
Subject: Re: Upholstery Question Date: 3/24/2004 9:34 AM
You may be better off if you can get some quality fabric for a cheap price at a fabric warehouse. I got some brand name chenille for a chair for $5/yd. at one of those places that would have retailed for around $40/yd.

I've bought some beautiful fabric on ebay for very good prices -- a lot of the fabric on ebay is sold in small pieces (suitable for covering a pillow), but 20 minutes of looking will find you large pieces of name brand fabric -- Richloom, Greff, Waverly, etc., etc. -- in large pieces.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement