UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884512  
Subject: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 1:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
GoMC had an unfortunate incident his next-to-last day of vacation that left him in FL, without his driver's license as ID to get through airport security.

I overnighted him his passport.
I paid a considerable amount extra for the UPS "guaranteed by 10:30am delivery."

He really just needed it by non, but the options were 830am, 1030am and 3pm

Anyway, I was on the phone with him at 10:48am when it was delivered into his hands, and he signed the digital pad which was presented- but ho knows what that is really displaying..
Technically it was in plenty of time, but it was not by the guaranteed time.

I checked online and it was scanned as
10:26 A.M.
Left At: Front Door

which is fiction

The UPS system shows delivered on time - do I raise a fuss (since it was not)
or do i raise a different fuss that the driver scanned the package as delivered when it was not?
or do i just let it go?

peace & guarantees
t
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870134 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 1:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I think you would be wasting your time to complain, since those scanners are going to be calibrated to UPS' own internal system.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870136 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 1:48 PM
I KNOW is that the driver scanned the package before he delivered it, so tht the system shows an "on time" delivery...
I am pretty sure the drivers have a performance indicator related to that.

So the driver falsified the delivery, which actually annoys me more than the parcel being late.
it is not as if it were 2 minutes, it was nearly 30.

peace & just kind of looking for a price break
t

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870137 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 1:48 PM
our ups man enters his data before he even gets out of the truck. so if it took 10 minutes to find the package, verify it, then walk over to the recipient then that could account for the time.

So then the question comes up? Does he go and find your son and make him wait till all the paper work is done, or the other way around.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870140 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 1:52 PM
our ups man enters his data before he even gets out of the truck. so if it took 10 minutes to find the package, verify it, then walk over to the recipient then that could account for the time.

Not 28 minutes

So then the question comes up? Does he go and find your son and make him wait till all the paper work is done, or the other way around.

No- GoMC was outside when the truck pulled up and it was
Oh, hey the UPS truck is here...Hang on...Yeah, thanks

30 seconds?
He saw the truck pull up, walked out to it and the driver never even left the vehicle.

peace & stealing time
t

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870144 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 2:23 PM
Recommendations: 1
Actually 22 minutes.

I understand your annoyance, but I don't think it is worth your time.

UPS website lists: Next Business Day Delivery typically by 10:30 am.
I am not certain that delivery by exactly 10:30 am is guaranteed.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870145 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 2:35 PM

Er... I believe most, if not all, UPS drivers are equipped with scanners and since the package can not be scanned until it is found ...

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870147 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 2:50 PM
Recommendations: 4
or do i raise a different fuss that the driver scanned the package as delivered when it was not?
or do i just let it go?

No. Don't let it go.

GSF

Tired of letting things go.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870148 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 3:24 PM
I had something similar happen before Christmas with a local company. I got an email saying the package had been delivered to my front door and it hadn't. I called the company but they were having a party so I left a voice mail explaining my concern. A coupe of hours later, I looked out the door and it was there.

I did get a call both from Fed Ex and the company(Primal Wear) a day or so later to be sure I had gotten the package. I was annoyed because of my time to make and get calls. Also, because I almost put in the "special handling" box on the order form that I would just pick up the order which is my plan for next time.

That said, I am planning to work on letting things go in the new year so I won't mention that I had to pay the State of Colorado $1 today to make an estimated tax payment by electronic check ;)

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870149 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 3:49 PM
Recommendations: 10
I would not let it go. I would not make a huge stink as this wasn't the biggest deal in the world to you, but I do think UPS needs to know.

I would simply call, let them know what happened, let them know that they have a driver who is falsifying his times, and ask for a refund of the amount you paid for guaranteed delivery. That seems reasonable and proportional given the circumstances.

DEG

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870152 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 4:16 PM
I would simply call, let them know what happened, let them know that they have a driver who is falsifying his times, and ask for a refund of the amount you paid for guaranteed delivery. That seems reasonable and proportional given the circumstances.

The receipt should be read before assuming a refund is due. UPS next business day time-definite delivery is "typically delivered by". I don't see that they guarantee a refund if it isn't delivered by the time specified.

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870153 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 4:35 PM
The receipt should be read before assuming a refund is due. UPS next business day time-definite delivery is "typically delivered by". I don't see that they guarantee a refund if it isn't delivered by the time specified.

From the OP-

I paid a considerable amount extra for the UPS "guaranteed by 10:30am delivery."

DEG

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870155 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/4/2013 4:58 PM
From the OP-

DEG

I believe that the OP believes delivery time was guaranteed. Next business 8:30am/10:30am/3pm only states "typically delivered by" and not "guaranteed delivered by".

The receipt should be read to verify the actual guarantee.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870302 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/9/2013 6:18 PM
Recommendations: 2
From UPS's website:

UPS Next Day Air®
Get guaranteed overnight delivery for day-definite shipments

Delivery Commitment Next business day delivery by 10:30 a.m., 12:00 noon, or end of day, depending on destination

Service Area Destinations and Origins:
All 50 states and Puerto Rico, with some limitations in Alaska and Hawaii

Benefits Ideal for shipments that must arrive earlier in the business day
Guaranteed service

There is a link on the right side of that page that leads to the Terms & Conditions. From what she posted, her package meets them. She has 15 days in which to file a claim, either over the phone or with their online billing page.

I would do so. It's not an overly complicated phone call. The trucks has GPS on them. They will know what time he stopped at the address where GoMC was and pulled up the parking brake. The in-vehicle systems record that type of data. DH drives a vehicle with a similar system. Even if the driver scanned the package at a previous stop, the *truck* will have its own separate data record of its routes and times.

I sent DH's green card to Canada when he forgot it for a business trip. I think it was via Fedex, but I also had a service failure for on time delivery. No problem getting the refund.

Laura

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870304 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/9/2013 6:34 PM
UPS Next Day Air®
Get guaranteed overnight delivery for day-definite shipments

Delivery Commitment Next business day delivery by 10:30 a.m., 12:00 noon, or end of day, depending on destination

From Original Post
the options were 830am, 1030am and 3pm

I do not believe that the UPS Next Day Air information provided is for the same service.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870313 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/9/2013 8:33 PM
There are several levels of Next Business Day service, which have the various times tconi mentioned, thus the confusion, I suspect. Within the Next Day Air are also the times I listed.

The breakdown from their site -

Next Business Day
Delivery as early as 8:00 a.m.
UPS Next Day Air Early A.M.

Next Business Day
Delivery typically by 10:30 a.m.
UPS Next Day Air

Next Business Day
Delivery typically by 3:00 p.m.
UPS Next Day Air Saver

In any case, since tconi chose the 1030am Next Day Air which does have a guarantee, it's up to her if she wants to call. She had a reasonable basis to do so.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870357 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/11/2013 9:40 AM
The UPS system shows delivered on time - do I raise a fuss (since it was not)
or do i just let it go?

It's fraudulent reporting and should be mentioned to them. It might not go anywhere, but at least they'll have it on record that the driver isn't reporting the deliveries properly.

I lost any and all respect for UPS over the holidays. I had a late package that I took to UPS on the Saturday after Christmas. The guy scanned it and said that it would be sent out the following Wednesday with a guranteed delivery by Thursday for a mere $12.00.

When I asked him why it was going to be held up from Saturday until Wednesday for shipping, his partner at the other register looked at me like I was stupid and said "Uh, the holiday? New Years Eve"

I pointed out to him that their sign indicated that they were open on New Year's Eve and he said "Yeah, well that's just to take stuff in, not to ship stuff out."

I picked the package up off the scale and walked out. Drove across town to the USPS and paid $5 at the self service kiosk and dropped it in the bucket.

They got the package in the mail on Wednesday, and UPS lost a customer.

LWW

Author: Retrograde Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870362 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/11/2013 10:51 AM
Double check which time zone they were referencing in the system. It may not be the local time.

I noticed this when I had a package noted as delivered @ 11:30am when it wasn't even 11:00 locally.

I used UPS and USPS about 50/50 this holiday season. USPS was cheaper and got everything delivered -- even delivered some things on Sunday Dec 23rd. In contrast, UPS had one package that made it to the neighboring state and then sat for 4 days. That ended up a week late. Also, the price for UPS Ground vs USPS Priority (flat rate) were comparable for smaller sizes (12 x 12 x 8, 8 lbs.), so I don't see any reason for using UPS (unless it is very large boxes and you aren't time constrained).

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 870363 of 884512
Subject: Re: UPS- Guaranteed time Date: 1/11/2013 11:35 AM
Double check which time zone they were referencing in the system. It may not be the local time.

I noticed this when I had a package noted as delivered @ 11:30am when it wasn't even 11:00 locally.

The times should be local.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement