UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 62060  
Subject: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 11:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 32
Who would have guessed that a Gov't-run operation like the Post Office would be half the cost of the "much more efficient" conservative-approved, for-profit shop like UPS?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/21/nyregion/21ups.html

Posing as customers, reporters for The New York Times visited several U.P.S. stores last week looking to mail an item by Priority Mail — one of the postal service’s signature offerings. In nearly every instance, they were quoted prices well above the government postal rate, and only one of them was told they were paying a premium for the convenience of using a U.P.S. Store.

One store on the Upper East Side said it would cost $21 to send an eight-pound package by Priority Mail to Old Greenwich, Conn. The clerk suggested using U.P.S. Ground instead for $19.90. At the post office across the street, the same package cost $8.80 to ship. Each arrived in two days.

</snip>

I'm sure tele and SP will point out it's all a mirage. <LOL>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22293 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 11:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
<<One store on the Upper East Side said it would cost $21 to send an eight-pound package by Priority Mail to Old Greenwich, Conn. The clerk suggested using U.P.S. Ground instead for $19.90. At the post office across the street, the same package cost $8.80 to ship. Each arrived in two days.

</snip>

intercst >>

Heh, heh! Imagine that --- a business that sells a service for more than it costs 'em.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22294 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 12:09 PM
Recommendations: 7

intercst

Price gouging on the part of business is part of a free market. Don't you get it? It more efficiently takes more money off people for the same thing that could be done cheaper. That's what marketplace efficiency is all about

Author: temsike Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22295 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 12:19 PM
Recommendations: 23
intercst:

I can't wait to see how our resident Teabaggers spin this.

As for me, I ALWAYS use the "the public option" called the USPS. I find UPS and FEDEX far too expensive.

I wish I could use the "public option" for my healthcare. Oh well.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22296 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 12:33 PM
Recommendations: 0
If it fits in a 'flat rate' box it ships at that rate.

Otherwise, you can get socked....

The Post Office is convenient and they have a handy dandy machine to use with hardly any wait......but it doesn't understand 'flat rate' boxes.....you have to stand on line.

UPS stores are all around, but charge a few bucks extra .......

I just order on line and let the on line store ship it...

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22297 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
"Heh, heh! Imagine that --- a business that sells a service for more than it costs 'em. "

Compared to the 100 million dollar buy off for Dodd on health care, and the 43 million dollar buy off for the NE Senator...despite his governor and other senator totally opposed, and thanks to 100 million plus in buyoff to LA.......

our government operates a whole lot less efficiently than any business. What's that...every pocket is going to pay for a 100 million dollar 'research university' in Dodd's home state....buy off Reid with 100 million in payments for the Nev share of Medicaid.....buy off NE with the same deal, plus tens of millions more for 'rural NE hospitals' and other special deals......

you don't have a clue what Obama Care will cost you, or how many trillions disappear to special interests......but, what they heck, midnight votes on bills no one has read is how the country is run these days.

You really think the Post Office isn't bleeding tax payer money? hee hee...

t.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22298 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 1:49 PM
Posing as customers, reporters for The New York Times visited several U.P.S. stores last week looking to mail an item by Priority Mail — one of the postal service’s signature offerings.

Small wonder the Times is in financial trouble if this is the best thing they can think of to investigate. What idiot doesn't know that you're going to pay a convenience fee and has to be hand held by the people they willingly went to to be ripped off? The same people who buy their stamps at the grocery store for more than it would cost at the Post Office?

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: CountUptoten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22299 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 2:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
As for me, I ALWAYS use the "the public option" called the USPS. I find UPS and FEDEX far too expensive.

I sent some Crispness packages Priority mail using the USPS website. Painless, and you get a price reduction for doing everything on line.

I also checked the UPS website. It was more - I don't recall how much more, but more.

Count Uptoten

Author: temsike Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22300 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 3:51 PM
The USPS is far better for international stuff also. FedEx and UPS charge ridiculous prices for international packages.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22301 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 4:08 PM
Recommendations: 4
telegraph complains,

"Heh, heh! Imagine that --- a business that sells a service for more than it costs 'em. "

Compared to the 100 million dollar buy off for Dodd on health care, and the 43 million dollar buy off for the NE Senator...despite his governor and other senator totally opposed, and thanks to 100 million plus in buyoff to LA.......

</snip>

I don't know what they got in Nebraska and Louisiana, but you'll be relieved to know that Dodd's $100 million payoff will go to the Uconn Health Center in Farmington -- a wealthy area West of Hartford home to many insurance executives. It's not like a bunch of poor people, or God forbid, illegal aliens will benefit.

intercst

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22302 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 4:49 PM
<<Compared to the 100 million dollar buy off for Dodd on health care, and the 43 million dollar buy off for the NE Senator...despite his governor and other senator totally opposed, and thanks to 100 million plus in buyoff to LA.......

</snip>

I don't know what they got in Nebraska and Louisiana, but you'll be relieved to know that Dodd's $100 million payoff will go to the Uconn Health Center in Farmington -- a wealthy area West of Hartford home to many insurance executives. It's not like a bunch of poor people, or God forbid, illegal aliens will benefit.

intercst >>

I'm guessing that a good many young people are experiencing how the Congress actually works and are getting a realistic civics lesson.

Many will probably be lifelong supporters of limited government and the Republican Party, although there has been a regrettable gap between the two in recent years.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22303 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 7:46 PM
Phil: "The same people who buy their stamps at the grocery store for more than it would cost at the Post Office?"

Most stores sell the stamps at face value.....I think it is illegal to charge more ....other than in vending machines...... the stores do it as a convenience...the local Kroger used to do it....I'm not sure if they still do.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22304 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 7:55 PM
intercst: "you'll be relieved to know that Dodd's $100 million payoff will go to the Uconn Health Center in Farmington -- a wealthy area West of Hartford home to many insurance executives. It's not like a bunch of poor people, or God forbid, illegal aliens will benefit."

Well, that really wasn't a buy off for Dodd...he just figured he was dishing out so much money, he was entitled to another measly 100 million for his state......

And I'm sure Pelosi got some special favors...maybe for her hubby's interest in Guam? give special tax breaks for him? She's done it time and time again.

There are 2047 pages of pork and fine print in the bill......which should take a normal person about 25 pages to write..... the rest are fine print for special interest groups all over the place.

I'd bet a few billion stick to ACORN and SEIR for 'community organizing' those 10 billion in 'community clinics'...that will never get really built and will provide maybe 3 million dollars in services for the 10 billion thrown at them. The rest will end up in lib dem coffers in the next election campaign, pay for the buses to get the purple shirts to the various political rallies, etc....

intercst, you really didn't think this was about actual health care reform? That's the last thing on the lib dems minds. It's about tax and spend and new entitlement programs that aren't funded, relying on medicare cuts that won't get made.....

It's about 2030 pages of handing out grants, building another 1 million person federal bureaucracy, keeping 50,000 new lawyers and lobbyists busy, and red tape forever. You'll have 100,000 new people fighting the fed bureaucracy on medical claims......

But, then again, it is going to be 1.5 million 'new jobs' created that produce nothing but paperwork and red tape.....and suck billions in actual productivity out of the economy.

t.

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22305 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 7:58 PM
"I'm guessing that a good many young people are experiencing how the Congress actually works and are getting a realistic civics lesson."

You now that when the lib dems have to hold a vote at 1 am in the morning because this bill stinks to high heaven.....dragging a 92 year old senator into the capital building at 1am in the morning to cast the 60th vote......just after the biggest single day snowfall in the capital....

that this is a bill that more than stinks of porkulus and Chicago style strong arm extortion.......

IT's the best government that 'money can buy', literally......

2047 pages of fine print as special interest group paybacks.....and tax breaks......and opt outs....

t.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22308 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 9:04 PM
<<You now that when the lib dems have to hold a vote at 1 am in the morning because this bill stinks to high heaven.....dragging a 92 year old senator into the capital building at 1am in the morning to cast the 60th vote......just after the biggest single day snowfall in the capital....>>

Another six inches or so of snow an the whole bill might have failed for lack of being able to get people in for a vote.

This sounds like a genuine disaster that may be caused by global warming...

Seattle Pioneer

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22309 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/21/2009 9:52 PM
Recommendations: 6
I'm a former Ebay power seller. I've used a lot of UPS and USPS. There are advantages and disadvantages to each. UPS stores are LIGHTNING QUICK. The post office is slow and plodding to the point where if they didn't have the automated kiosk out front, where I can mail a package every 90 seconds (I've timed it and memorize the touch sequence on the touch screen) I wouldn't go there. UPS has much better assured delivery and tracking. The post office will ship you materials for free though their track record for completion is not good.

They're not screwing customers. Everyone has a choice. You don't get screwed when you have a choice. If they screwed customers over so badly then why, in the other direction, do so many businesses choose them? Is it because they enjoy seeing their bottom line hit, or is it because they provide a good, competitive alternative?

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22310 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 9:47 AM
I'm guessing that a good many young people are experiencing how the Congress actually works and are getting a realistic civics lesson.

Many will probably be lifelong supporters of limited government and the Republican Party, although there has been a regrettable gap between the two in recent years.

Seattle Pioneer

-----

Maybe I'm not awake yet, but there seems to be a fundamental flaw in the logic here.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22311 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 10:02 AM
"I'm guessing that a good many young people are experiencing how the Congress actually works and are getting a realistic civics lesson."

Folks are 'getting the message'.

Congress and the fed workers get a $3000/yr increase.

Medicare premiums go up more than 5%.

THose on SS get zip, and likely to get no cost of living increase for the next 3 years.

Meanwhile, every fed worker gets a 2% raise, and most state workers get a 2-4% increase this year.

HOwever....the tens of millions barely getting by on SS have to pay higher Medicare premiums but get no COLA?

Yep......only Congress would vote themselves a pay raise ...and only fed and gov't workers DEMAND pay raises when inflation supposedly is zero...

That is how your government works......

t.

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22314 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 10:45 AM
Worst of all, UPS will leave packages (even computers with a big "DELL" on the outside) sitting right on your steps, where anybody can walk off with them. The Postal Service will make you pick it up at the Post Office. If I know something will come by UPS I will have it sent to my office for safety's sake.

Bill

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22315 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 10:45 AM
IT's the best government that 'money can buy', literally

What's that quote about it's best not to look closely at how either sausages or legislation are made?

Author: mapletree8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22316 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 10:59 AM

The Post Office receives no taxpayer money.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22317 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 11:00 AM
most state workers get a 2-4% increase this year.

Really? My husband, a state worker, got no raise at all this year. Of course, SC is in bad shape coz it's so liberal ;-)

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22320 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 11:33 AM
"Really? My husband, a state worker, got no raise at all this year. "

Every lib dem union dominated atate is trying to get raises, either via the front door or the back door....

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/Jindal-to-reject-state-worke...

"BATON ROUGE, La. -- Gov. Bobby Jindal will reject the Civil Service Commission's plan to revamp the way pay raises are doled out to thousands of state government workers.

The proposal would replace the near-automatic 4 percent annual pay raises given to state employees with a sliding scale of salary increases tied to performance."

Wow....4% no matter what...

- - - --

and in WA

http://www.theolympian.com/politicsblog/story/1063393.html

"Republican state Sen. Joe Zarelli has launched a broadside against Gov. Chris Gregoire over pay raises he says are going to unionized state workers. The raises of up to 5 percent a year are costing about $83 million this biennium and adding to the state's budget woes, he says."

- - - - -

NV

http://www.npri.org/blog/the-untenable-nature-of-nv-state-em...

"The ongoing recession has drawn attention recently to the lavish pay raises enjoyed by Nevada's state government workers. However, what has been lost on many observers is that the pay structure for state workers suffers from a systemic problem. Pay raises for state workers are far out of line with what workers in the private sector earn even during periods of robust economic growth. "

"dditionally, state employees often receive annual, across-the-board "cost-of-living adjustments." These pay increases are in addition to the annual 4.5 percent increase that many state employees get. As with the step increases, they are also percentage-based, meaning they compound over time.

It is curious that COLAs only ever adjust upward. In the current fiscal year, for example, state employees are receiving a 4 percent COLA despite the fact that the prices of rents, land and gasoline are all in decline in Nevada."

- - ---

Pick a state...nearly every one is getting pay raises for 'merit' or COLA or some other thing.....

Same for cities......

The feds are getting pay raises.

Congress is getting a $3000/yr pay raise, voted for by a commission they set up to give themselves pay raises....

SS? no pay raise for you, but due to inflation we're jacking up Medicare prices by 5-10%.......hee hee...

t.

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22321 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 11:37 AM

The Post Office receives no taxpayer money.

-----

<palinista-teabaggermode>
b-b-but it's a government owned and run operation! It MUST be getting taxpayer dollars! It HAS to be subsidized! They can't do ANYTHING right! You're a liar!
</palinista-teabaggermode>

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22322 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 11:45 AM
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/01/postal.shtm

"However, because the USPS is a federal government entity, the USPS’s competitive products operations enjoy an estimated implicit subsidy of between $39-$117 million a year."

t

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22325 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 12:07 PM
Recommendations: 8
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/01/postal.shtm
"However, because the USPS is a federal government entity, the USPS’s competitive products operations enjoy an estimated implicit subsidy of between $39-$117 million a year."
t

-----

Interesting that you left off the little tidbit directly above the snippet you provided;

Federally imposed restraints on the USPS’s operations increase its costs to provide competitive products by an estimated $330-$782 million a year. That would appear to substantially more than offset the "estimated implicit subsidy".

Do you know what "estimated implicit subsidy" means? Not necessarily that the USPS gets funds, but that their cost of operations may be below market because of Fed regs. That's why it's 'estimated'. They get no direct funds.

But let's not allow ALL the facts get in the way of your piffle... er, I mean rant.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22327 of 62060
Subject: Re: UPS screwing customers at Christmas Date: 12/22/2009 12:46 PM
<<most state workers get a 2-4% increase this year.

Really? My husband, a state worker, got no raise at all this year. Of course, SC is in bad shape coz it's so liberal ;-) >>

Boeing is coming.

That is a very telling comment since Boeing is exiting Washington State to get away from a lot of things my liberal friends value.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement