UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190809  
Subject: url links Hotmail-sent not 'live' in Chrome Date: 11/12/2012 7:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone have any ideas about this? I've always lazily used Hotmail and
never had a problem with copy/pasting links to things in email. I.e., the
links were always 'live' when received and worked with just a tap. Now,
for no known reason, all of the links that I send through Chrome, (not thru
IE), are 'dead'. The same exact letters in the same exact order ... but
no blue 'live-ness'. Any idea what may be the cause of this?

THANKS!

nl
Print the post Back To Top
Author: chasb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182524 of 190809
Subject: Re: url links Hotmail-sent not 'live' in Chrome Date: 11/12/2012 11:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Your email service is treating the link as plain text, not as a link.

Does the link start with http:// ? If not that may be the problem.

Charlie Brown (never a hotmail fan)

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182526 of 190809
Subject: Re: url links Hotmail-sent not 'live' in Chrome Date: 11/13/2012 2:21 AM
Hey Charley .. thanks for the time and trouble --

yes .. all of the links start with 'http://' -- that seems to be automatically
and properly added by chrome/hotmail when sending. But for some unknown
reason there is no 'life' to the links. As you say, what would normally
be a live link is sent as mere plain text.
I seem to be getting indications now that this may not be true for those
I'm sending TO ... so it seems that only in sending to myself this is true.
Though, when I receive links from others they are live. It's nuts!
Any suggestions of what I might try? Can't see anything about this on the forums!

I know -- hotmail is the cheapest of the cheap.

thanks again -
nl

Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182527 of 190809
Subject: Re: url links Hotmail-sent not 'live' in Chrome Date: 11/13/2012 8:00 AM
Hey NL,,,

You didn't say which CHROME, I assume "Google/Chrome". Also, are you using the Old Hotmail/Version or the New/Outlook version???.

I just tried, with my Hotmail account, with Google/Chrome and Iron/Chrome, and just about every Link format, and they all worked just fine!!!

You may want to check Google/Chrome Settings and Hotmail/Options, and check all selections, there maybe something that got reset in the New Hotmail/Outlook version, if that is what you are using???

Example of Hotmail/Options:

Block content from unknown senders

Hotmail always blocks content from suspicious-looking senders, but you can control what we do for senders that have good reputations but who you haven’t marked as safe.

o - Show attachments, pictures, and links for senders with good reputations
o - Block attachments, pictures, and links for anyone not in my safe senders list

TK...

Author: chasb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182529 of 190809
Subject: Re: url links Hotmail-sent not 'live' in Chrome Date: 11/13/2012 12:31 PM
nl I use Thunderbird as my email program and Earthlink for my ISP.

FWIW, when I'm composing email and paste in a "live link" it does not appear as live. However, when I send it, it becomes live. I can verify this by looking at the email in the Sent folder. There, the link is live.

Does this help at all?

Charlie Brown

Author: notablelaggard Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182597 of 190809
Subject: Re: url links Hotmail-sent not 'live' in Chrome Date: 11/20/2012 1:31 PM
FWIW, when I'm composing email and paste in a "live link" it does not appear as live. However, when I send it, it becomes live. I can verify this by looking at the email in the Sent folder. There, the link is live.
Does this help at all?
Charlie Brown

===========================================

CB -
I truly appreciate you attempt to help.
My situation, as it turns, is that I simply cannot send MYSELF any links and have them be live. When I send to others it LOOKS like they are not live, but they receive them as live. In my Sent file they also appear to be dead, and if I receive them from me they ARE dead. However, in any replies that I get back from people the link I sent them has become live by passing through their system. And this is true only sending through Hotmail (using Chrome) and NOT through my gmail account.
SOmeone said this was google trying to discourage the use of a MSFT product. I donno, but for me it's frustrating cuz I like to send myself relevant links OFTEN!
So .. SOMEthing has 'shifted' somewhere in things and my http links no longer get 'turned on' by me before they leave. How could any man not find this alarming!?
Again, thanks for your help. NO one, not even those Wizards who normally come through for me, can figure it out. :(

nl

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement