No. of Recommendations: 0
US,

I wish GG had participated in this introspection exercise. I made a similar list:
http://boards.fool.com/1106/why-did-gg-fail-30013160.aspx

I was inconclusive in my analysis.

All their questionable sell, buy or hold decisions are less than a dozen out of 100+ recommendations. I don't think this is enough to wreck a well diversified collection that GG was.

I won't harp much on changing advisors either. Tim left when GG was already deep into the fall as evidenced on the fall in number of subscriber posts on the boards. Just BM leaving cannot derail a newsletter. Case in point - HG has a very high churn rate but its classic scorecard extended till today still outshines as ever. HG was a major process based success.

Your point on GG's focus on non-growth stocks in growing markets is a really good way of putting it. More on it below but in a different flavor.

I think GG got stuck in the wrong bend of time (long stagnant times for international stocks) and failed to reinvent itself. For example, people subscribe to morningstar feed at hefty costs for information rather than some scorecard. Why couldn't GG become the primary information feed on global stocks, ETFs and Mutual Funds? This would have attracted Global audience to GG. Many foreign subscribers were interested in GG for info on US stocks that were relevant internationally and GG was left wanting in that arena. RBS, II, SA and HG have a solid collection of stocks that are very much international in their focus. It is not just Baidu but also IPGP, GOOG, AMZN or APPL and a few dozen more (just check the II newsletter). These are all international stocks. I talked about this specifically many times over the years but I never even got a debate from the advisors. What about a global dividend stock collection whether or not they can be purchased in US? GG had a good collection and so did II. This could have been better integrated. How about a list of well tracked global commodity stocks? There were many avenues that GG could have explored but didn't. This is where a deeper integration with the community could have helped. Years ago when I asked about it I was told they had surveys. But why not open debates on the boards?

Anurag
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement