UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757323  
Subject: US Loans Nissan $1.4 billion Date: 1/9/2013 8:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130109/AUTO0104/3010903...

Nissan Motor Co. said it will begin U.S. production of its all-electric Leaf on Thursday in Tennessee as part of a $1.4 billion government loan.

The Leaf will be built alongside the company's gasoline-powered products.

Last year, Nissan sold 9,819 Leaf EVs in the United States — up 1.5 percent over 2011.

Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn has previously predicted that 10 percent of all vehicles sold by 2020 worldwide will be electric vehicles.

Nissan says the addition of Leaf production and battery assembly has resulted in the creation of more than 300 U.S. manufacturing jobs —
"a number that can increase with demand."

Doesn't it seem costly to gain ONLY 300 jobs for a $1.4 billion loan. Couldn't that money be spent or loaned for higher employment of Americans elsewheres?

Oh well them learned sophisticated congresspersons prolly know what's best fer us ignorant savages in fly over country.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665471 of 757323
Subject: Re: US Loans Nissan $1.4 billion Date: 1/9/2013 8:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Oh well them learned sophisticated congresspersons prolly know what's best fer us ignorant savages in fly over country.

I bet if we took a clandestine survey, we'd find those sophisticated congresspersons with newly remodeled kitchens and bathrooms--courtesy of Nissan.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665494 of 757323
Subject: Re: US Loans Nissan $1.4 billion Date: 1/10/2013 12:28 AM
"Doesn't it seem costly to gain ONLY 300 jobs for a $1.4 billion loan. Couldn't that money be spent or loaned for higher employment of Americans elsewheres? Oh well them learned sophisticated congresspersons prolly know what's best fer us ignorant savages in fly over country." tiscotto
--------------

The Nissan Plant, about ~ 9 miles from where we live, has hired an additional 3300 workers to build the Nissan Leaf. First they hired 2500 new workers and trained them and then more recently Nissan hired an additional 800 workers and is in the process of training them. A least 6 people who we go to church with work at the Nissan plant and Steve, a good friend of mine at Church works in Human Resources for Nissan. Starting pay is over $16.00/hour which is really good for Tennessee.

Art

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665572 of 757323
Subject: Re: US Loans Nissan $1.4 billion Date: 1/10/2013 12:17 PM
The Nissan Plant, about ~ 9 miles from where we live, has hired an additional 3300 workers to build the Nissan Leaf. First they hired 2500 new workers and trained them and then more recently Nissan hired an additional 800 workers and is in the process of training them. A least 6 people who we go to church with work at the Nissan plant and Steve, a good friend of mine at Church works in Human Resources for Nissan. Starting pay is over $16.00/hour which is really good for Tennessee.

Art

Hi Art:

It is my understanding that the Smyrna manufactures both electric & gasoline powered vehicles. And that the loan is for funding the electic vehicles. And that there are 300 workers on that line.

Is it possible that the additional 3300 you refer to includes those hired for manufacturing gasoline powered vehicles too?

I dunno, Bloomberg sez 300 employees for the electric vehicle line.*
I don't care what comes from Nissan's pocket to fund manufacturing electric vehicles. I do care about what comes from Uncle Sam's pocket or rather the taxpayer's pocket. I'm just trying to get the facts straight here.

* http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-12/nissan-s-u-s-batter...

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665588 of 757323
Subject: Re: US Loans Nissan $1.4 billion Date: 1/10/2013 2:01 PM
"Is it possible that the additional 3300 you refer to includes those hired for manufacturing gasoline powered vehicles too?" - Tiscotto

----------------

The extra workers were all hired in the last two years when Nissan decided to build the Leaf here.

Art

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665661 of 757323
Subject: Re: US Loans Nissan $1.4 billion Date: 1/10/2013 6:24 PM
Recommendations: 1
The extra workers were all hired in the last two years when Nissan decided to build the Leaf here.

Art

OK I'll take your word on it.

But even with 3300 workers. $1.4 billion!
That's almost $425,000 per worker to build less than 10,000 electric cars? Sounds like a boondoggle to me.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665671 of 757323
Subject: Re: US Loans Nissan $1.4 billion Date: 1/10/2013 7:07 PM
But even with 3300 workers. $1.4 billion! That's almost $425,000 per worker to build less than 10,000 electric cars? Sounds like a boondoggle to me.

We already know this administration is math-averse.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement