No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I have been in the US for six months and plan to be here permanently, having married a US citizen.

I have four separate pensions from UK employment and want to make the best use of them. The limited guidance I have received so far suggests the only way to transfer them to a US arrangment is into a US employer's retirement scheme; that transferring to a 401K is not open to me.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or guidance in this area? I have seen cdr46's post re "An immigrant's view of Roth" (Thankyou!)and will follow the links to do my own research - but can anyone give me a "quick hit" on this issue?

Thanks for anything you can do.

Best wishes for the holiday season.

Trevor
Print the post Back To Top
Greetings, Trevor, and welcome. You wrote:

I have been in the US for six months and plan to be here permanently, having married a US citizen.

I have four separate pensions from UK employment and want to make the best use of them. The limited guidance I have received so far suggests the only way to transfer them to a US arrangment is into a US employer's retirement scheme; that transferring to a 401K is not open to me.

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience or guidance in this area? I have seen cdr46's post re "An immigrant's view of Roth" (Thankyou!)and will follow the links to do my own research - but can anyone give me a "quick hit" on this issue?

To qualify for a transfer/rollover to a U.S. employer's qualified retirement plan, your UK pensions must meet the requirements of the US Tax Code regarding qualified plans in all respects. I can assure you your plans do not meet this requirement unless somehow in someway your UK employer(s) obtained a favorable determination letter for those plans from the US Internal Revenue Service. Having seen this issue raised on many occasions by other UK folks resident in this country, I have yet to see one with a plan that met that requirement. Accordingly, you almost certainly will not be able to transfer those proceeds into a US employer's retirement plan.

Regards..Pixy
Hi Trevor,

I've been here nigh on 7 years and during the first year spent much time on this very subject.

The consensus of opinion I got was "Can't be done, laddie, can't be done"

So, have you decided to keep up your NI payments? :-) (Just to throw another tricky question into the fray)
Advertisement