Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ems79 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120780  
Subject: Using I-bond for educational expenses Date: 8/5/2013 2:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a $6000+ tuition bill due. For 2013 my total tuition paid will be about $9500. This is for graduate school and I believe is considered less than half time (4 credits in spring and now 8 credits in Fall).

For the past half dozen semesters I've owed about $3000 per semester. What I have been doing is to use 0% credit card checks... Every few weeks I'll get a set in the mail offering 12-15 months at 0% with only a 1% transaction fee. My "system" has been to use those to spread the $3000 over a period of 5-7 months of even payments. I carry no balances and I stop using the card with the balance to prevent any hiccups. So far it's been a success. I could use the same system for this semester...

Another option I am considering is cashing an I-Bond. I have an I-Bond from 2001 with a $5000 face value and about $4500 in earned interest. It's earning about 4-5% now. It has a fixed rate + inflation, so it has earned as high as 8-9% in the past and it will not drop below 3%. I believe--and this is sort of where the tax question is--that if I use all the proceeds of the bond for my tuition (which I think just translates into cashing the bond during the same tax year as the tuition payments) then I will not owe income tax on the interest.

If I were to cash the bond today I would owe about $1100 at my 25% federal rate. At the present earning rate, that's about 3, maybe 4, years of earnings, meaning if I planned to hold the bond at least that long I would break even vs. the tax savings today.

If I sold the bond, my plan would be to repay myself the total proceeds of the bond (about $9500) over 12-15 months time by contributing to an existing brokerage Roth IRA which I have not been contributing to lately, and do not plan to contribute to during 2013 or 2014 (I also have no other Roth IRAs, so contribution over 2013/2014 should be possible w/o taking place of other retirement savings). I would likely be buying some mix of S&P index and MF:SA stocks with the IRA.

These bonds have represented my "catastrophic e-fund". I am comfortable with losing access to that value for 12-15 months while I re-pay it. I believe that if it's in the Roth IRA I should still be able to access it because I can withdraw contributions at any point w/o penalty or tax event (is that right?)

The downside to converting the value of the I-Bond into stocks/MFs held in a Roth IRA is that my principal value is no longer guaranteed while invested somewhere that I expect to provide a comparable return (3-9%) ... tho I do feel reasonably confident that spread around a bit I should be able to do reasonably well without too much risk.

Have I made any wrong assumptions regarding taxes? I know this is a tax-specific board, but overall does this I-Bond idea seem reasonable, or does it seem like a mistake?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

The American Energy Revolution
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement