Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: Put income and capital gains Date: 7/30/2010 11:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Using short puts (30-60 days) I am making $1500 or so a month in extra income. I don't worry about getting the put "put" to me because I invest in good (Fool recommended)companies and due to the immediate put income made I can immediately write covered calls at a lower (out-of-the-money) strike on any contracts I just bought, making more income, and at a price that almost guarantees the sale. I really don't want the stock, just the income.

Then I turn around and do it again the following month.

My concern is if this is a reasonable technique - why havn't I already read about it in the Fool?

I think you mean in-the-money covered calls, since you turn around and say the price almost guarantees the sale. If I understand you correctly, the process is something like this:

XYZ is trading around $50. You sell puts at $45, pocketing the premium. If XYZ trades below $45 and you get the stock put to you, the plan is to sell covered calls at $40 to get rid of the stock. Do I have that right?

There is no particular tax issue to make this a bad idea. As long as the stock is never put to you, the expired puts give you short term capital gains, you fill out a lot of lines on Schedule D and Schedule D-1, pay your taxes, and are happy with the profit.

The problem is Black Swan events in the market. Say you sold 45 strike puts on XYZ when it was trading at $50. While your puts are open, news breaks that XYZ had an oil rig blow up, or had the CEO indicted for fraud, or the entire industry melted down because it didn't price loans correctly, or the company chose to burn all its cash acquiring a bad business, or whatever. The price drops to $28 overnight. You are put the stock at $45, and can't unload it for more than $30 even including the premium for the covered call, because things changed while you had the put outstanding.

That's why people shy away from this strategy. It can go on for a long time making a steady income, then something changes and wham! You have a trading loss that wipes out years of profit on the open options. You do get a reduce AGI and reduced tax liability from the trading loss, but it's cold comfort to pay $2,500 less in taxes because you lost $10,000.

Now, you may be smart enough to do this at prices that compensate you for the Black Swan events and turn a profit long term, anyway. I'm not that smart, and TMF thinks no one is that smart. (I'm less convinced that no one is that smart; it's enough to know that I'm not.)

This one is not primarily a tax issue. It's primarily an investment/trading issue.

Patzer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement