Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 82103  
Subject: Using the WSM... Date: 9/6/2012 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
OK...1poorlady, like me, had in her head "offset" smoker. She's thinking (as I was) 8 hours of smoking to get flavorful, tender meats.

So, if I tell her we should get a WSM (which I've mentioned seems to be a fave of the aficionados) it would help if I could explain better.

So...I have some hypothetical ribs...I want to let them smoke for 8 hrs, get really yummy but NOT charred/burned. Using the WSM, how would I accomplish this with the coals in the same chamber as the meat? Use the "fuse"? It seems that's the way to make it last for 8-12 hrs without having to open the chamber.

It will sell better if she thinks I know what I'm doing. ;-)

(And I have questions about the "fuse", but will save those for later.)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77459 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/6/2012 1:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The answer is... it depends. What kind of ribs? Baby back? 3 hours @ 225 F. Spare ribs (my preferred ribs) 6 or so hours. Beef ribs? I've actually never done them, but they take a while for sure.

I don't have an offset smoker, so I can't really comment on it. I have an older 18" WSM. I absolutely love it. It doesn't get much easier. The water pan (some don't use water, but I do), helps regulate the temperatures so you don't have to watch it so much (you'll still want a good thermometer. I recommend a wireless two-probe one).

I can fit about 8 racks of St Louis-style ribs on my WSM, but it's crowded. I also have a ProQ extender (no longer made for the old WSM, but you might find them on eBay), which gives me room for 4 more racks. I rarely load it up that much. Usually I do 4 racks on one of the WSM racks and then some horse-douvers.

The Virtual Weber Bullet is the best site in the world for WSM info:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cook.html#pork

They also have a great forum where you can ask questions. Not that you can't ask them here too.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with a WSM. The price is right, it's fairly compact, and it's fairly easy to operate and learn.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77460 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/6/2012 1:50 PM
Oh, and for lighting info for the WSM, see this, and in particular, the Minion method (linked under the heading 'Page 2', on the right).

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup1.html

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77461 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/6/2012 1:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
So...I have some hypothetical ribs...I want to let them smoke for 8 hrs, get really yummy but NOT charred/burned. Using the WSM, how would I accomplish this with the coals in the same chamber as the meat? Use the "fuse"? It seems that's the way to make it last for 8-12 hrs without having to open the chamber.

With spare ribs, I'd probably use the 3-2-1 method (3 hours in smoke, 2 hours wrapped in AL foil and 1 hour basting them), all @ around 225 degrees F and using the Minion method with the charcoal (hot coals dumped on top of a pile of unlit coals, throw some wood chips on - For pork, I like Apple wood chips, but Pecan or other could work OK). This video looks pretty close WRT to the prep and cooking process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNsvsxwOs0

I like to coil my ribs like this when I smoke them - just a different option: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1_photos/britu7.jpg

Bob

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77464 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/6/2012 9:12 PM
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/weber_smokey_mount...

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77465 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/6/2012 11:32 PM
This video looks pretty close WRT to the prep and cooking process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNsvsxwOs0

Here are some additional options in using the 3-2-1 method, quite a few in fact, though there are more - It's, pretty much, a pick and choose process, adjusting to what hits your and 1pl's pallets favorably - If you split the rack into 2 slabs, you can even, relatively easily, accommodate variations in favorite preferences: http://majorleaguegrilling.com/2012/01/09/competition-ribs-3...

By way of example, one might like the ribs sauced before wrapping in Foil and putting back on the smoker (or oven - I've never used an oven in the process.) Another might like their ribs w/o sauce, sauce served separately at serving, and/or different sauce ingredients - really no big deal, with the 3-2-1 method, and either splitting a rack into slabs, or Q'ing more than a single rack.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77467 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/7/2012 8:33 AM
This is a pretty good place to pick up rubs developed by significant competitors on BBQ competition circuits: http://php2.secure-shopping.com/hawgeyes/home.php?cat=4 I think he probably carries nearly every BBQ competition team's rubs and sauces. One of my personal favorite rubs was Smokin' Guns, Hot, though I don't know that I could handle the heat very well anymore. They also make a mild version that I haven't tried: http://www.smokingunsbbq.com/products.cfm

You can also make you own rub and experiment with the ingredients and ratios. Basic ingredients often tend to include:

Brown Sugar (most prominent)
Chilli Powder (I'd venture maybe 2nd most prominent)

Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Black Pepper
Salt
Cheyenne Pepper

Maybe a little Paprika (for a little added "smoke" flavor) and maybe a little Lemon zest - depends on what you like.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77469 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/7/2012 11:03 AM
I like that better than the 3-2-1 thing. I don't WANT to use the oven. (Especially in the summer...it's already hot here, I don't want to run the oven!)

Thanks for the link. I will be saving that one.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77471 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/7/2012 1:10 PM
I like that better than the 3-2-1 thing. I don't WANT to use the oven. (Especially in the summer...it's already hot here, I don't want to run the oven!)

With a WSM you can use the 3-2-1 method with the Minion method all on the smoker - It will keep up. I've never had to use an oven to finish what I started with a WSM... I did have to add some charcoal when smoking beef brisket, but have never had to with pork ribs.

I've not tried the fuse method, and I am looking forward to what James reports back in his experience in trying it.

Bob

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77472 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/7/2012 1:15 PM
I thought once the food was on you didn't want to touch the coals or it would stir up ashes that would get on the food. No?

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77473 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/7/2012 2:00 PM
I thought once the food was on you didn't want to touch the coals or it would stir up ashes that would get on the food. No?

Well, with a 6 hour rib smoke, you shouldn't need to add charcoal, at least not charcoal briquettes. (Lump charcoal tends to burn hotter and faster in my experience.)

Secondly, there's a water bowl between the charcoal and the meat, so adding coals isn't likely to get ashes on the food, unless you might get pretty careless. Of course, the grates have handles on them so, with gloved hands, you can remove the meat, if you want... I've not found it necessary though.

Bob

Author: 34Phantom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77474 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/7/2012 4:58 PM
Recommendations: 3
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93374

If you go to this link it will give you some pretty good instructions along with pictures how to cook ribs on the WMS.

Phred

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77585 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/20/2012 9:47 AM
I got this in an emailed newsletter on BBQubg that I subscribe to this morning. This month the guy is featuring an article on smoking beef ribs. http://www.smoking-meat.com/september-20-2012-smoked-beef-ba... In the article he mentions buying a new, TS120P Meadow Creek reverse flow smoker. http://www.smokymtbarbecue.com/store/TS120P_Push-Around_BBQ_... This is a very decent reverse flow, horizontal offset smoker. Its design, material (3/16" to 1/4" plate) and reverse flow feature should keep temps consistent across the entire cooking surface. At a $3250 base price, I can't afford it, but it might provide some ideas on building a close clone from a scrap tank, plate steel, other materials and a stick and/or MIG welder.

Before he passed away, Charles Robinson (often posted here) had a horizontal smoker/grill built from a pretty good size tank - Think propane tank pretty much large enough to fuel an entire small house for most of if not an entire winter. Whoever built it did a pretty good job.

Bob

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77586 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/20/2012 12:01 PM
I can't afford that either, but it looks really nice! The firebox is not only to the side, but below. I would think that end would still be warmer than the opposite end, but if they get good flow inside then maybe not.

Cool.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77589 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/20/2012 10:43 PM
Here's a link to the thread in which crobinso (Charles Robinson) introduced his custom built smoker to the board. Unfortunately, the links to his pics of the smoker no longer work, but I think you may get an idea from the posts about what is possible with a tank, steel plates and a stick welder, for a reasonable amount of cash money.
http://boards.fool.com/okay-lets-try-this-again-22568981.asp...

Charles passed away not too long after the smoker was built. He was a really nice guy.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77590 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/21/2012 7:18 AM
Here's a little more on how a decent reverse flow horizontal smoker is built and the theory of it. I've been mulling over building one for some time - You prolly saw da smoke rising.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/54542/building-an-italian...

In the meantime, I'm very glad I got my WSM.

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77591 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/21/2012 8:06 AM
"'My' Homemade (reverse flow) BBQ Smoker"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUhfsVaBPQ

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77593 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/21/2012 9:37 AM
This guy did some mods to an inexpensive horizontal offset smoker - I might look into that - Grill Great ceramic tiles might play a part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wioPExhN7YM&feature=relat...

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77597 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/21/2012 11:38 AM
Here's a link to the thread in which crobinso (Charles Robinson) introduced his custom built smoker to the board. Unfortunately, the links to his pics of the smoker no longer work...

But this one still works...

http://www.bbqfools.com/images/crobinso/Charles'_New_Smoker.jpg

Bill

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77598 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/21/2012 11:56 AM
Nice job. Alas I have neither the tools nor the skill to do that. I'm pretty good with wood, but not metal. Still, it gives me an idea of how these things work.

I'm starting to wonder if I can modify my Genesis Silver C. :-)

Author: jamesmw Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77608 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/22/2012 2:20 AM
http://www.bbqfools.com/images/crobinso/Charles%27_New_Smoke...

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77610 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/22/2012 9:20 AM
I'm starting to wonder if I can modify my Genesis Silver C. :-)

I ben thunking about modifying a (less expensive) Fiesta G@$ grill to a charcoal/wood smoker, keeping the G@$ side burner.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77618 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/22/2012 2:41 PM
keeping the G@$ side burner

Those are awesome for starting the charcoal chimney.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77620 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/22/2012 6:18 PM

They're also good for flambeing stuff - My kitchen stove is electric... Plus, I don't want to set my apartment on fire, again. ~ ~

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77624 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/22/2012 11:55 PM
That's too funny. The original link is valid, but TMF's "sumpthinoranuther" clipped it so that it isn't "clickable."

jamesmw "clipped" the original link and made it work in a post.

And, just because I'm anal, I "fixed" the whole thing by removing the offending apostrophe so that I could post a corrected URL...

http://www.bbqfools.com/images/crobinso/Charles_New_Smoker.j...

...but left the original just in case.

Bill

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77631 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/23/2012 1:46 PM

I will do just that in a few minutes, and use the hot coals over a bunch of unlit charcoal to smoke sum chicken quarters, beer brats and a rack of spare ribs in my WSM, using the Minion method. I also picked up sum apple chips that I'll throw on top of the coals a couple of times, early on, and sum apple juice fer da water bowl - I'll prolly add sum garlic to the apple juice in the water bowl. I'll rub da ribs and chick quarters wid sum brown mustard for glue and dust dem down wid sum Luzianne Cajun Seasoning mixed wid sun brown sugar. I bought a small bottle of Jack Daniel's Honey Smokehouse BBQ sauce to finish.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77632 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/23/2012 9:30 PM
Dang!! I fell asleep and the WSM hit and held 275 degrees F until now. The meat is way overcooked.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77634 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/23/2012 10:02 PM
Well, at least I know that the WSM can keep up, and then some.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77635 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/24/2012 12:28 PM
Dang!! I fell asleep and the WSM hit and held 275 degrees F until now. The meat is way overcooked.

How much monitoring is required? I thought the whole point was to be able to set it up and let it go for 6-8 hours until you have tender juicy smokey goodness. No?

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77636 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/24/2012 12:56 PM
How much monitoring is required? I thought the whole point was to be able to set it up and let it go for 6-8 hours until you have tender juicy smokey goodness. No?

It needs to get stabilized first. I left it with the bottom vents wide open. After it gets up to heat, you need to close the bottom vents some until the heat in the smoker stabilizes at around 225 degrees F. It usually stays pretty steady thereafter, but you should check it every now and then.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77637 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/24/2012 1:16 PM
... or get a wireless remote thermometer with an alarm on it ...

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77639 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/24/2012 6:31 PM
... or get a wireless remote thermometer with an alarm on it ...

*good grief* Now he cain't smell the meat burnin' neither without another techknowlodjicalthingy.

Bill

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77640 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/24/2012 6:46 PM
The last time I burned meat, it were supposed to be burned.

Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77646 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/24/2012 10:59 PM
The last time I burned meat, it were supposed to be burned.

Roger.

Bill

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77654 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/25/2012 10:27 AM
I'll probably smoke another rack of spare ribs this week, when/if I'm not so worn out and tired... My bad.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77655 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/25/2012 11:19 AM
Just how long did you cook the ribs at 275? I really wouldn't expect them to be burned unless you went quite a while. I do them at 225-250 for 6 hours without a problem. None of that fancy 3-2-1 stuff either.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77656 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/25/2012 2:24 PM
around 7 hours. They're pretty burnt looking.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77657 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/25/2012 3:12 PM
Heck, I'd eat 'em. Or chop 'em for sammies mixed with sauce or somethin'.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77659 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/25/2012 7:26 PM
around 7 hours. They're pretty burnt looking.

The rib meat would still go well mixed with cream cheese and cheddar cheese in ABTs.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77660 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/25/2012 8:50 PM
3 words: po'boys.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77661 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/25/2012 8:54 PM
Well, I left them in the smoker and they've been outside a couple of days. I'm just going to smoke some fresh. This time I will let the smoker heat up and regulate it before I put them on, and set my alarm clock at 1 hour intervals to make sure they're doing OK. I have a wireless cooking thermometer that monitors both the internal smoker thermometer and meat temp, though I doubt the later would be much good for ribs... I just didn't use it. I used a standard pronged smoker thermometer, but fell asleep and didn't check it. 6 or so hours of smoking after 6 or so hours of working gets to be a pretty long day for me to stay awake - Hopefully, the alarm will help.

It's about $20 worth of meat throw out. I don't like it, but I'd rather throw it out that eat it, especially after 2 days in the sun w/o refrigeration. I did eat a couple of chicken legs after removing the skin. The meat wasn't extremely dry - I guess the skin held some of the juices in.

Thanks,

Bob

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77662 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/26/2012 7:23 AM
Recommendations: 4
“around 7 hours. They're pretty burnt looking.”

I’da slop on a thin barbecue sauce, say one of the bottled sauces mixed 50:50 with stock or apple juice, wrap dem in foil and reheat in a low (say 225 degree) oven fur 1.5 or 1 hours, me.
;-)

C.J.V. - do dat wid my ribs, yes

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77663 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/26/2012 8:31 AM
I’da slop on a thin barbecue sauce, say one of the bottled sauces mixed 50:50 with stock or apple juice, wrap dem in foil and reheat in a low (say 225 degree) oven fur 1.5 or 1 hours, me.
;-)

C.J.V. - do dat wid my ribs, yes

That sounds like a great idea - Thanks, CJ. I think I will try separating a rack into thirds, pull 2 of the 3 after around 2-3 hours in the smoke, freeze those and finish them as leftovers that way. I rarely eat more than a third of a rack at a time anyway, so I think that might work very well for me.

Alternatively, I might pull one of the thirds of the rack after an hour or 2, split the bones apart, steam them in some sauerkraut to finish and make some homemade dumplings or smashed taters to snack on while the other 2 finish smoking - might help keep me awake.

Thanks, very much,

Bob

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77685 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/29/2012 11:53 PM
I'm gotting to give another go at it.

Starting tomorrow morning, I'll dump what's in the WSM, take it to the car wash, spray it off, clean the grates, go to the grocery store and pick up a chicken, rack of spare ribs and some sausage to smoke.

One of my friends from high school called tonight. We will celebrate our 45 year high school class reunion 10/6. If they don't have anything planned for tomorrow, I will smoke the stuff there.

Bob

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77687 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/30/2012 6:13 AM
I'll dump what's in the WSM, take it to the car wash, spray it off, clean the grates, go to the grocery store . . .

Bob, if you gots a buildup of smoke residue in da WSM, I found dat spraying wid dat cheep oven cleaner from da “Dollar Store” followed by a water rinse tends to dissolve it betterer den anyting else. If da buildup is reel heavy, you’ll have to spray a number of times to remove it all.
;-)

C.J.V. - I do dat when da buildup starts flaking off and onto da food, me

Author: tdbowz One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77688 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/30/2012 9:45 AM
One of my friends from high school called tonight. We will celebrate our 45 year high school class reunion 10/6.

Bob, I quit going to my HS class reunions. Jest been two many old folk showing up there lately.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77692 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/30/2012 7:00 PM
One of my friends from high school called tonight. We will celebrate our 45 year high school class reunion 10/6.

Bob, I quit going to my HS class reunions. Jest been two many old folk showing up there lately.

I figure I better go before too many more can't show up. I went to a dinner with 30 or so classmates a few weeks ago. I didn't recognize half of them, until they told me their names. The guy who's accepting the fig for the reunion dinner had a heart attack and open heart surgery 2 weeks before that gathering. I was very surprised when I heard about the heart attack, and even more surprised that he was there. It was great to see each and every one of them.

Bob

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77693 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/30/2012 7:03 PM
We had our 1 year HS reunion last week. Everyone pretty much looked the same, except me. I looked even younger.

*cough*

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77694 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/30/2012 7:32 PM
I got nominated for "Best of Class", can you imagine? I think the lady who nominated me has the "HOTS" for me, but I'm not into having sex with my cousin.

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77695 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/30/2012 7:37 PM
If I didn't live in Tennessee, I'd probably make a joke about Bob's comment.

Author: MikeInIndy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77696 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 9/30/2012 7:51 PM
I really don't think you should let living in TN stop you.

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77697 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 10/1/2012 1:24 AM
Every body went back for seconds - made me feel pretty good...

Thank you, all, for teaching me... "Success" is very sweet, if not fleeting!!

Thanks, very much!!

Bob

Author: ez3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77704 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 10/1/2012 2:24 PM
If I didn't live in Tennessee, I'd probably make a joke about Bob's comment.

I was in Texas awhile back working with folks from the North Carolina State Forest Service. Mostly hill folks with a differant sense of humor.

ie. "If a couple gets divorced in North Caroline, can they still be brother and sister?"

ez3

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77711 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 10/2/2012 10:15 AM
Every body went back for seconds - made me feel pretty good...

"Seconds" basically amounted to eating at least 1/2 of a whole chicken. My high school friend ate 3/4 of a chicken - The leg/thigh separated from the breast when he picked it up from the pan by the leg. I haven't had an appetite like that since I was 5 or 6 years old.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77715 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 10/2/2012 2:07 PM
"Four fried chickens, and a Coke."

Author: JGBFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 77717 of 82103
Subject: Re: Using the WSM... Date: 10/2/2012 5:57 PM
"Four fried chickens, and a Coke."

And some dry white toast please.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (56) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement