UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 190051  
Subject: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 2:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm considering setting up an extra monitor on my office computer. I have to read PDF files while writing Word documents about the records on the PDFs, and I have to switch back and forth from that sort of work to our agency's case management software. Also, am doing web research throughout the day (and some off-task "research", naturally). I think especially in working with the Word docs and PDF files I can get a lot of benefit out of the set up.

I read an article on Lifehacker that described how to do it, and described it as easy in Windows 7. However, it was recommended to use two monitors of the same size. I was hoping to get a larger monitor for my new one, simply because they are cheap nowadays. I can get a 23" for what I paid for a 20" two years ago.

So my question is: how much more of a hassle is it if the monitors are different sizes? The article I read said that the problem arises with the mouse cursor not tracking correctly across two differently sized monitors. What do y'all think?

Thanks

Rita
Print the post Back To Top
Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176964 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 2:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Rita,

It is VERY easy to setup, Windows will allow different resolutions on each monitor.

My work setup has a 20" and a 22". I have the 22" monitor in standard landscape mode and the 20" I keep in portrait mode. One of my developers has 3 monitors of different sizes. His primary is a 24", secondary is a 30" monster and third is a 20" in portrait mode.

Hope that helps. If you have further questions, let me know.

xSSMBB

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176965 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 2:47 PM
Rita I don't know about your needs, but I saw a setup used by a Tax firm that I thought was slick. Two largish monitors -- 23 inch size. The key point was both monitors were rotated so the longest dimension was vertical. The users would have tax forms/program on one monitor and client files (in pdf form) on the other side. They had software that did a good job of automatically orienting the pdf scans. A human sorted client paper by form/schedule.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176966 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 2:58 PM
Gordon, I would love to have a monitor that swiveled to portrait mode. But they are impossible to find. I have come to the conclusion that they are a specialty item available only commercially. Do you know anything different? Because, you are right, being able to see the PDF files in a format that looks more like real paper would be a huge benefit.

Rita

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176967 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 4:10 PM
Made me look, I thought mine rotated, part of the stand, but it doesn't... But here's the link... Samsung monitors are great...

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/learningresources/monitor...

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176968 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 4:12 PM
Alas, not Macs, tho...

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176969 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 6:50 PM
I agree, Samsung monitors are very nice. H-P, too - H-P makes a monitor with the glossy screen, like the iMac and MacBook Pro.

You linked to info about positioning software, but wouldn't I have to have a monitor that swiveled into the portrait mode? From what I've seen, those are pretty expensive. Maybe I'm missing something, does this software change the viewing perspective?

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176971 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 8:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
Rita all the Dell monitors I have had over the years rotated. Now I did not buy the least expensive ones -

See http://tinyurl.com/3p53tz4

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176972 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/24/2011 9:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
Yes on Macs. You don't even need any special drivers or software--it's built into Mac OS X.

See this: http://osxdaily.com/2010/12/28/rotate-mac-screen-orientation...

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176973 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/25/2011 3:18 AM
Ahh, good for us Mac users, but I'd still have to find a way to remount the screen.. In the earlier link it listed several Samsung monitors, might be that one or more of them have it built into the stand.. I can raise and lower mine, but maybe if I look closer there is a way to remount... Link should set it up for PCs... Maybe it was on the CD that came with the monitor..

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 177036 of 190051
Subject: Re: Using Two Monitors on Windows 7 Date: 11/28/2011 1:55 AM
So my question is: how much more of a hassle is it if the monitors are different sizes? The article I read said that the problem arises with the mouse cursor not tracking correctly across two differently sized monitors. What do y'all think?

There are two questions:
*1) Do the monitors have the same native vertical dots-per-inch resolution? (This is the more important question.)
*2) Do the monitors have the same native vertical screen size (in lines)?

If the answers to both questions are 'yes' you're in great shape. Set them up side by side and as close to vertically aligned as is convenient.

If the answer to only the first one is 'yes' then you're in really good shape. Set them up side by side and get the *tops* of the screens as close to aligned as is convenient. When you try to move the mouse from the bottom of the taller screen to the area below the shorter one, it will hit a wall.

(Actually I should test this... I'm not certain if it's the tops or the bottoms that should align. Unfortunately I'm not at home and don't have the second monitor here.)

Otherwise, you're going to have some degree of the mouse seeming to jump vertically when you move it from one screen to the other. But you'll get used to it.

You also want this: http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement