Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I work in the US on a J1 visa (for a US company), but am a British citizen. I recently ran into confusion with my UK bank over a maturing TESSA which I could (if I lived in the UK) have rolled over into an ISA. The bank's advice was confusing, and I can see all sorts of potential tax and legal nightmares on the horizon in future, as I have investments in both countries... arrgh!

Can someone offer me some advice on how to best employ a tax professional to guide my money and I through the 'two-country' tax situation? What sort of professional should I be looking for? Can anyone recommend (or warn me against!) particular companies/outfits/types of accountant?

The nature of my work means more foreign travel and possibly another change of resident country (choose between the UK, the US and Chile) - I would appreciate some Foolish advice.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.