Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 2:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Next week I'm on vacation! Where? At home. DW and I took an expensive vacation in March so we're going to have a vacation at home to even things out. Ok, home is NYC, and as many tourists as we get, I figure there must be something to it.

We're going to the US Open one day, a museum every day, Brooklyn (never get there enough) and a bunch of other places we want to check out. At first I was kind of disappointed and feeling poor but now I've really gotten into the idea. I'll post the results when I get back.

So who's done this and what did you think? I can almost see this as a once a year thing, but first I'll have to go through it to see what I think.

nmckay
if it's called tourist season, why can't you shoot them?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: phantomdiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 510 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 2:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
if it's called tourist season, why can't you shoot them?

I live near and work in DC, and sometimes I wish we *could* shoot them! Ohmygosh!

Anyway, yep, I've vacationed at home. Works great! But the kids don't like it so much now that they are old and sophisticated and can't stand to go to the Smithsonian again, poor babies. ;-)

phantomdiver

Author: Eldrehad Big gold star, 5000 posts CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 511 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 2:52 PM
So who's done this and what did you think? I can almost see this as a once a year thing, but first I'll have to go through it to see what I think.

I've done it... and it was great.

I live in the greater L.A. area and there were a lot of very interesting places to go and things to see that I had jest never gotten around to seeing.

Museums, historical sites and buildings, etc..

Actually, what most often gets me to go to some of these places is an out-of-town guest - but it was very nice to have the time to get to know the area in which I live a little better... see some things I haven't seen before, and revisit some of the places I hadn't been to in quite a number of years.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Eldrehad

Author: WhiskeyRiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 512 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 3:02 PM

We're going to the US Open one day

The US Open is great!
Just watch out for the $6.50 hotdogs and $4.50 cokes, WHEEEW!

-Whiskey

Author: electrasmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 513 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 3:17 PM
I have done it and enjoyed it. I live near Dallas so took in a museum or two, or just plain goofed off. Visited the library and did some reading. Very relaxing.

Wish I had time to do it again this year but not enough vac :-(

electrasmom (Electra likes when I stay home with her)

Author: tutone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 514 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 3:28 PM
Recommendations: 3
The US Open is great!
Just watch out for the $6.50 hotdogs and $4.50 cokes, WHEEEW!

============

I was in N.Y.C. last year on vacation and stopped for a hot dog. There's a big stand right at the entrance to Central Park. Not your typical rolling Nathan's stand. They were selling gourmet dogs with lots of toppings. I didn't know the toppings were $2 each, so I got bacon, cheese, mushrooms, and a couple of other things. It ended up being a $15 hot dog.

I initially choked and gasped, but then I decided to go ahead and get it. How many times in your life do you get a chance to order a $15 hot dog? I even took a picture of it. So how was it? Pretty darn good actually. Although I'll never do it again, it was worth the cash for the experience.

tutone
never buys food at stadium events

Author: JBtheJunkist Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 516 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 4:19 PM
Recommendations: 1
We do it all the time. We just tell everyone that we are on vacation and please do not call us, as we won't answer the phone.

These times have been the most relaxing "vacations" by far, mostly because we use the time to rest and get "caught up" on everything we are behind on.

JB

Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 517 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 4:34 PM
Yea, living in NYC means you're never shocked by prices.

Of course when DW and I went to London the prices were the same except they were all in pounds - OUCH!

We went to Toronto last year (ok, we take weird vacations, so what) and went to see the Blue Jays play the Yankees. We were chastized by some locals for paying 3 Canadian dollars for ballpark peanuts. They all brought theres to the game from home.

Toronto is a nice LBYM vacation. Canadians are LBYM by nature. The exchange rate makes it even better. Probably after SARS there are even better deals.

nmckay

Author: monica3674 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 518 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 5:19 PM
Recommendations: 3
My husband and I wanted to go somewhere before I went back to school this year, but we couldn't think of someplace we really wanted to spend a long weekend that wouldn't be really expensive. We'd been to Yellowstone and the Tetons this summer already.

We decided to stay home and go out to a nice dinner - some place more expensive than we usually eat but where we had been wanting to go. Because we saved hundreds of dollars on the trip by not going, I didn't feel bad about spending $40 on dinner. (As I write this, I'm realizing (amusingly) that $40 isn't all THAT much to spend on dinner. We don't drink wine or beer when we're out. And we had a coupon!)

Anyways, have fun at home, take it easy, and go someplace nice to eat!

Monica

Author: dsemmler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 519 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 5:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
Monica wrote,

I didn't feel bad about spending $40 on dinner. (As I write this, I'm realizing (amusingly) that $40 isn't all THAT much to spend on dinner. We don't drink wine or beer when we're out. And we had a coupon!)

LOL! Isn't it funny how things can seem expensive when you are not accustomed to spending a lot of money on those things? And what a beautiful way to tie in LBYM by using the coupon!

dt

Author: nukenick Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 521 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/21/2003 6:38 PM
Recommendations: 2
<<<tutone
never buys food at stadium events

>>>>>

I always buy food at stadium events. This then helps me justify getting cable.

Nick

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 565 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/23/2003 1:59 PM
We have tried the vacation at home thing, and it just doesn't work for us. There is always some project that needs to be done or something clamoring for my atttention, and I am too goal-oriented to just let it be. Now that DW is working out of the house, I suspect that this will be even more true.

Since we have been sucked into the vortex of attending two out of town weddings ($$$$) our vacation this fall will be going camping in the Finger Lakes for a week. We did this a couple of years ago when we were both in grad school and broke and it was a great cheap trip. It is beautiful up there and there are lots of things to see (and 70+ wineries). Since the campsite is a whopping $13 a day, it is pretty easy to keep total out of pocket to $50 a day or so for the two of us and still do lots of things. We will likely repeat this in other places in coming years. I'm tempted by some of the more remote areas of WV, Smoky Mountains, Blue Ridge Mountains, Catskills, Adirondacks, ec.

Author: HoneyRyder Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 566 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/23/2003 3:24 PM

brewer -

I see we like the same places. We should trade tips.

Tip # 1 (you may already be aware of it) - Lakewood Vineyards on the western side of Seneca lake. I particularly like their Pinot Noir, although Finger Lakes wines tend to be favored by fans of sweeter wine.

HR

Author: Crazyinlovefool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 577 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/26/2003 12:35 PM
DH & I did the same thing for the 4th of July weekend. I posted my plans on the LBYM board. Just one of the benefits of living in NYC. What are your plans for Brooklyn? I live just a few blocks from Prospect Park & The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens so I take advantage of alot of the free events.

Crazyinlovefool

Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 578 of 5069
Subject: Re: Vacation at home Date: 8/26/2003 1:35 PM

brewer -

I see we like the same places. We should trade tips.

We found that the best place, bar none, was Hermann Weimer, whose rieslings are like a Finger Lakes take on the Moselle. However, there are a lot of other places that either have their own charm or do something in particular very well. We found Bully Hill to be amusingly irreverent (they make some decent farm-style wines, too); Hunt Country is refreshingly unpretentious with wines very true to the grapes and where they are grown; Wagner has an amazing range of stuff, with something for everyone; Keuka Spring made an excellent Gewurtztraminer; Heron Hill probably had the most impressive facility; and Konstantin Frank's is a must simply because of its pedigree.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement