Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NechesInvst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1626  
Subject: Valuation of an engineering firm Date: 12/2/2011 8:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm in a position to buy into a local, private engineering firm. But I'm curious what the best way to find the valuation.

Is it strictly sales? If the company had x in total sales it's worth x?

Or is it some ratio of that? Total sales times 0.75? or 1.25?

Just curious on your thoughts.

Mike
Print the post Back To Top
Author: agg97 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1557 of 1626
Subject: Re: Valuation of an engineering firm Date: 12/2/2011 12:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Just curious on your thoughts.

I'd value off of net profit. Then, value it based on the internal rate of return you want for that investment. Stocks are on the order of ~10% IRR. Rental real estate is ~20% IRR. I would think an engineering company is more risky than that, so you're in the range of 22-28% IRR.

Author: PaulEngr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1558 of 1626
Subject: Re: Valuation of an engineering firm Date: 12/2/2011 8:52 PM
You need to look at net profit. Many folks use EBITDA. But on top of that you'll have to look at their backlog (ongoing jobs) to try to get to an estimate of value since the smaller the firms, the more that a particularly large project will "spike" the data.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1559 of 1626
Subject: Re: Valuation of an engineering firm Date: 12/2/2011 10:03 PM
I would think you would want to give careful consideration to what it would cost to create an equivalent firm on your own.

Most engineering companies probably have few assets other than staff, and their reputation and relationships that allows them to bid on and get new contracts.

Hence, you are acquiring mostly reputation and staff. Finding the value of the hard assets is the easy part. But you would think the value is strongly tied to future sales and a sales agreement that reflected that would be most desirable.

Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1560 of 1626
Subject: Re: Valuation of an engineering firm Date: 12/2/2011 10:13 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hence, you are acquiring mostly reputation and staff. Finding the value of the hard assets is the easy part. But you would think the value is strongly tied to future sales and a sales agreement that reflected that would be most desirable.

Yeah, I think a lot of firms actually have one guy who brings in most of the business through his contacts, you want to make sure you're not losing that guy if you buy the company.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1561 of 1626
Subject: Re: Valuation of an engineering firm Date: 12/4/2011 7:41 PM
"Just curious on your thoughts.

Mike "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Run.

Howie52

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1587 of 1626
Subject: Re: Valuation of an engineering firm Date: 8/16/2013 6:39 PM
Recommendations: 2
>I'm in a position to buy into a local, private engineering firm. But >I'm curious what the best way to find the valuation.
>
>Is it strictly sales? If the company had x in total sales it's worth x?
>
>...Just curious on your thoughts.

I know I'm coming to this thread pretty late, but here's *my* thought:
If you don't know the answer to your own question, don't buy. A good candidate to buy the company would be somebody who knew the value of such firms and had some idea how to run it...someone who had maybe worked there or an equivalent place, had thoughts about the good things and not-so-good that management did, and had an understanding of the money in / money out aspects of this kind of business.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement