No. of Recommendations: 0
I am wanting to buy some Vanguard (VTSMX in particular). I was wondering if there is any advantage to buying directly from Vanguard or if just going through my broker (TDAmeritrade or Scottrade) would be ok?

chr7is
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
I am wanting to buy some Vanguard (VTSMX in particular). I was wondering if there is any advantage to buying directly from Vanguard or if just going through my broker (TDAmeritrade or Scottrade) would be ok?

Check to see if there are fees to buy at the broker. Vanguard funds are generally free to purchase at Vanguard, but can incur fees at brokerages.

AJ
It will cost you $49.99 to purchase VTSMX from your TDAmeritrade account.

- Craig
No. of Recommendations: 2
You can buy shares in the VTI etf instead. It's the same underlying fund, and only $10
No. of Recommendations: 3
I would definitely go through Vanguard, 1) because you can buy it without a fee, 2) Vanguard is very investor friendly 3) you can buy & sell their ETF's completely commission FREE 4) they have some of the lowest operating expenses in the industry (keep more of YOUR money working for YOU).

Most of their mutual funds have a corresponding ETF & are more tax advantaged in a taxable account in that they don't have yearly capital gains distributions and only incur cap gains when sold.

Vanguard: 877-662-7447.

Note if you are interested in ETF's & individual stocks you'll need a Vanguard Brokerage Account which has a direct line @ 800-992-8327. But I suspect either number will help you get set up with either/both accounts as you generally will have a "Sweep" account that is a linked money market fund to hold your cash until purchases or when selling.

See: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sweepaccount.asp

They are very easy to deal with and incredibly helpful to new investors. Good Luck.

Disclosure: I have a Mutual fund account & a brokerage account @ Vanguard. I also have brokerage accounts @ Scottrade & Schwab (Schwab also used as my bank/bill paying, direct deposit of pension & SS. I keep Scottrade as I like having their Streaming Quotes Application for my portfolios.
Thank you all very much for the info. You all have made it easy for me to make my choice. Also thank you the tip on VTI, I'm going to look in to that.

chr7is
Advertisement