UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: keats Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Vanguard 500 vs. Growth Date: 3/14/1998 2:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings,
Can anyone comment on the advantages or disadvantages of the 500 Index fund over the Growth fund offered by Vanguard. Especially in light of the prospectus noting the Growth Fund being more attractive to those not interested in a dividend....that would be me, since I would most likely open a retirement account with the $1000 minimum.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tc001 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2202 of 75383
Subject: Re: Vanguard 500 vs. Growth Date: 3/14/1998 4:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<Can anyone comment on the advantages or disadvantages of the 500 Index fund over the Growth fund offered by Vanguard. Especially in light of the prospectus noting the Growth Fund being more attractive to those not interested in a dividend....that would be me, since I would most likely open a retirement account with the $1000 minimum.>

I think the fine line between the two funds gives investors a psychological choice rather than a performance choice. I just received my annual Vanguard report for index funds (it covers all the index funds in one report). Looking at both funds I can see differences, but I also see too many similarities to believe that there will be a significant performance difference over time.

I have heard of one strategy that uses both the Vanguard Growth and Value index funds, investing more in the fund with the lower annual performance from the previous year. Or maybe it was the other way around!? This combination was supposed to *slightly* outperform investing in just the S&P 500 index. But I don't hold money in an index fund so that I try to actively manage it. I invest and then go I rollerblading.

Try posting on the mutual fund board. You might get more responses.

Author: keats Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2205 of 75383
Subject: Re: Vanguard 500 vs. Growth Date: 3/14/1998 10:51 PM
Thanks, tc001,

....for yr input, and the suggestion to post on the Mutual Fund board.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement