Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: drss Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 294  
Subject: variable annuity or index fund Date: 10/12/2000 12:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife and I are both 36, and we work at public schools. We have a good pension through the state and the option to participate in a supplemental investiment program. We are fully funding two Roth IRAs (Vanguard Total Stock Index and Janus Mercury). We're trying to decide on the supplemental investment plan. The options are: variable annuity (1.45% total fees for the subaccount we like) with exceptional results over the past several years, or a newly instituted S&P 500 index fund with very low fees (no cost to state employees). What do you think would be the best long term investment? I'm thinking the S&P index due the low fee.

Thanks in advance.

DRSS
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFBofa Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63 of 294
Subject: Re: variable annuity or index fund Date: 11/15/2000 7:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey drss:

Remember that there are also some tax advantages available with a variable annuity that may or may not offset the difference in fees. The Fool has a lot of info that can help you analyze this choice.

Hope this helps!

Bofa

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement