UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75807  
Subject: Variable APR's May Last Longer Date: 1/26/2012 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
The Fed's announcement that they will not raise interest rates "until at least 2014" is good news for anyone with a variable rate loan, like perhaps an equity loan.

Just a little thing to consider.

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70042 of 75807
Subject: Re: Variable APR's May Last Longer Date: 1/26/2012 11:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Not good news for retirees who bought into the concept of 60% fixed income investments such as bonds and CDs as the safe way to go. They've seen their interest income halved or worse. For some that's a huge chunk of their retirement income gone and not coming back at time soon.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70043 of 75807
Subject: Re: Variable APR's May Last Longer Date: 1/27/2012 2:36 AM
Recommendations: 0
billjam writes,

Not good news for retirees who bought into the concept of 60% fixed income investments such as bonds and CDs as the safe way to go.

It could be worse. You could have bought into the Larry Portfolio with 70% 1-Year Treasuries.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/24/your-money/stocks-and-bond...

intercst

Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 70044 of 75807
Subject: Re: Variable APR's May Last Longer Date: 1/27/2012 6:45 AM
If anyone is all in ANYTHING they can suffer over time. I've always tried to maintain my IRA in a variety of things. Good old AT&T, for example, pays a pretty consistent 6% or so dividend, and there are others out there, too.

However, I also try to stay nimble and buy or sell within my IRA, as the situation seems to warrant.

People need to study, learn and handle their money.

Vermonter

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement