UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: warqueen Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: variable universal life insurance Date: 12/21/2001 12:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone have some thoughts on pros and cons of this? Better to invest in an IRA first?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: RECCLES4 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32855 of 75335
Subject: Re: variable universal life insurance Date: 12/21/2001 12:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Anyone have some thoughts on pros and cons of this? Better to invest in an IRA first?

In short, keep your term policy, invest the dif in an IRA or (ehem) Mutual Fund. You will get more, pay less and earn higher interest on invested dollars.

rec

Author: jrr7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32856 of 75335
Subject: Re: variable universal life insurance Date: 12/21/2001 12:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
VUL is indicated in some cases for tax planning purposes, but in many cases, the extra fees that they hit you with are higher than the taxes you'd pay if you just invested in a taxable account! (Somebody has to pay the salesman's commission and that somebody is you.)

This question is often asked on the "Insurance" board.

Author: REITster Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32866 of 75335
Subject: Re: variable universal life insurance Date: 12/21/2001 9:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
I don't think life insurance should ever be bought solely as an investment. I have had a lot of experience in helping people who have policies that have turned out to be dogs. IMO you should purchase life insurance only to (1) meet a need in the event you die prematurely, or to (2)provide funds to pay estate taxes. To meet number 1, term insurance usually is much cheaper. If estate taxes are a problem, you will need permanent life insurance, and there are a number of sophisticated methods using life insurance to meet estate tax needs. Of course, estate taxes are scheduled to leave us forever, but don't bet on it.

Variable universal life is permanent insurance. The investment element of variable universal life sounds good. But on a universal life policy, no insurance company that I know will guarantee either the level of the expense charge that you will pay or the mortality rate that you will be charged. If you carefully read the contract and illustrations furnished, you will see that the guaranteed results are terrible. And always ask to see a sample of the contract before buying (they will not give you one unless you ask). Variable whole life is much better than variable universal if anyone still sells it.

So, I don't know your needs and can't give you any advice, but the average person should buy term insurance and do their investing in the IRA.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement