Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: LittleCodeKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5683  
Subject: Vegetarian Chili Date: 10/9/2001 1:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Howdy.

As a newcomer to this board, I thought I'd offer up my chili recipe.

It's easy to make, very adaptable, and everyone thinks it's yummy.

Vegetarian Chili

1.25 cups canned tomatoes
.75 cup bulgar wheat
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1.5 cups canned kidney beans, drained
1.75 cups canned garbonzo beans, drained
2 cups tomato juice
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
5 teaspoons chili powder
1.5 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon basil
.5 teaspoon oregano

1. Chop and drain tomatoes. Reserve the liquid.
2. Bring 1 cup reserved liquid to a boil over medium heat.
3. Remove pan from heat and stir in bulgar. Set aside.
4. Heat oil in heavy, deep skillet over medium-low heat.
5. Add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add tomatoes, carrots, celery, lemon juice and spices.
7. Cook until vegetables are almost tender, about 15 minutes, stirring
frequently.
8. Mix in bulgar, kidney beans, garbonzo beans and tomato juice.
9. Reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occassionally.
10. Add more tomato liquid or juice if necessary.

LCK
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2759 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 10/9/2001 1:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi Kitten! Thanks for that recipe and welcome aboard! :)

I'm an aspiring (part-time) vegetarian, as I like to describe myself. One of the reasons I'm not full-time yet is that I don't cook at home as much as I would like; I'm still a novice in the kitchen.

I like your entire recipe and it sounds like something I can easily handle, but I'm wondering a bit what bulgar wheat is like? I've never bought it before and I'm curious how easy it is to add to other dishes, as well as what quantities is it usually sold in.

Thanks, $IQ

Author: LittleCodeKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2760 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 10/9/2001 1:49 PM
I like your entire recipe and it sounds like something I can easily handle, but I'm wondering a bit what bulgar wheat is like? I've never bought it before and I'm curious how easy it is to add to other dishes, as well as what quantities is it usually sold in.

Bulgar wheat is readily available at the supermarket (which surprised me -- the first time I made this recipe I automatically just went to a health-food store to get it.) It comes in a box about the size of a cracker box. (and isn't THAT a helpful description?) It gives the chili a nice texture and helps make it a complete protein.

You can actually cook and serve bulgar as a side dish, or use it to make a tabbouleh-like salad, but I'm afraid I don't have any other recipes that use it.

I'm not much of a cook yet, either, but I'm trying.

LCK

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2762 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 10/10/2001 11:27 AM
Re: bulgar.

Bulgar is wheat that has been cracked, steamed and toasted. It IS the main ingredient in tabbouleh.

In the box. The brand name here is "Ala" and the box is pretty small--maybe 5" wide by 8" tall by 1" deep. I think it is a red box. The box has good recipes on it. But tabbouleh only needs garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, mint, tomatoes & cucumber. (Their recipe has about 20 ingredients.)

The reason I can't tell you exactly what the box looks like is that I no longer buy it in the box at the grocery store. For 7 ounces they want $3 or so. At the bulk food stores it is more like 80c a pound.

I can get bulk bulgur at the health food stores, the little produce stores, the mill, import markets(particularly medditeraneun and middle eastern), or the big produce store.

Author: LittleCodeKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2763 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 10/10/2001 11:42 AM
Bulgar is wheat that has been cracked, steamed and toasted. It IS the main ingredient in tabbouleh.

Is it? I though tabbouleh was made with somethig else. But I'm such a novice about this stuff.

Would you happen to know why I can't find wheat pilaf anymore? You used to be able to get it at the supermarket.

LCK

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2764 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 10/10/2001 12:54 PM
Would you happen to know why I can't find wheat pilaf anymore? You used to be able to get it at the supermarket.

I don't know, but you can ask your store manager. Sometimes the store discontinues a product because of low demand, or they change suppliers. I used to talk to my manager frequently because I wanted specific products like large curd cottage cheese or no-salt no-sugar peanut butter. I even called the main office once! Now they sell those products.

Or you can call the company that made it to see where it is still sold in your area. Most packages have an 800- phone number or at least the name and city of the company so the number can be found. I couldn't find "ALA" on the web for you.

I checked a couple of cookbooks looking for the brand name of bulgur in other parts of the U.S. and they said that there are several sizes that the wheat is cracked into. One is for pilaf and one is for tabbouleh and one is for baking. But they disagreed on which size is for what. Oh well.

Vickifool

Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2765 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 10/10/2001 3:04 PM
Folks, thanks much for the info. and clarification on bulgar wheat. :) I went home last night, and realized I have got a lot of shopping to do; though most of the ingredients for the vege chili is on my list of staples, I've run out of at least half of the items; I love eating, but it's the cooking and shopping I have difficulty with, heh.

Again, thanks, $IQ

Author: bangar8 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2770 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 10/11/2001 11:33 AM
This looks so great!!! And I think I have all the ingreadients. Will try and let u know the results :))

Author: VeganLady Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2829 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 11/22/2001 10:19 PM
Happy Thanksgiving, everybody! I've missed yas! :-)

$IQ, it appears that I will be visiting your fair city in two weeks! Can you recommend some (fairly cheapo) vegan restaurants, or restaurants that offer vegan fare? I'll be staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania on 7th Ave, in the neighborhood of Madison Square Garden and the Empire State Building. Any advice you can offer will be most appreciated! :-)

And has anyone on this board ever tried making seitan from scratch? I've found several recipes for it, but they're all pretty different, and I don't know anyone who has actually made their own. I'm just wondering how difficult and/or messy it might be.

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

Love,
V/L

Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2832 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 11/23/2001 1:38 PM
Hi VeganLady! Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! :)

$IQ, it appears that I will be visiting your fair city in two weeks! Can you recommend some (fairly cheapo) vegan restaurants, or restaurants that offer vegan fare? I'll be staying at the Hotel Pennsylvania on 7th Ave, in the neighborhood of Madison Square Garden and the Empire State Building. Any advice you can offer will be most appreciated! :-)

Terrific to hear that you'll be visiting our fair city! I hope you'll have an enjoyable trip. In terms of vegan/vegetarian restaurants:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/best/results/97

This is a local website that listed the "best of" several vegetarian restaurants; you can click on it for more details, locations, etc.

Now, my personal feedback:
The only vegan restaurant I have gone to with some regularity is "Zen Palate" (on the above link). They have about 3-4 locations in Manhattan and I think their website is http://www.zenpalate.com (hope this works). I go there because they are moderately priced and tasty mostly Asian-style cuisine; it is a Buddhist-influenced restaurant. Note: Their desserts may contain ovo-lacto.

Another restaurant that I've heard raves over, but have never been to is "Angelica Kitchen" on East 12 Street, betw. 1st & 2nd Aves. I've heard excellent, terrific things about this organic, vegan restaurant, which accepts cash only (no credit cards). I've never eaten here because when I show up, I'm too impatient for the long lines.

The other restaurants on the above list sound really good at least by reputation, but I don't know of anybody who has gone to them personally. Some are pricier. I know the two restaurants I mentioned above are very reasonable, often in the $5-$15 (quite possible to eat for under $10 per person, with tip).

Side note: I also did a search under the www.zagats.com online directory for vegetarian directory. I must say that I was APPALLED by their inclusion of two restaurants that I know are fully omnivore. I think that their listings are self-described by the restauranteurs who feel that if they have one of two "vegetarian" dishes, they can be listed as such. Don't rely on that list.

Enough for now. If I can think of other NY travel or eating tips, I'll let you know!

Best wishes, $IQ

P.S. I don't know anything about preparing seitan. That hotel you mentioned, Hotel Pennsylvania, is conveniently located to many things and various forms of transportation. I've heard mixed reviews about the hotel; one person didn't like it, another person liked it. I must say it is probably 'average' for a NYC hotels (despite the high costs, most hotels aren't deluxe, by far).

Author: VeganLady Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2834 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 11/24/2001 10:33 AM
Hey, $!

Thank you SO MUCH for all the links and pointers and advice! If everyone in NYC is as nice as you are, I am bound to have a blast. I plan on making LOTS of new friends in 3 days. :-)

I'll definitely be checking out those links you sent. And thanks for mentioning Zen Palate. You had recommended that place before ("if you're ever in NYC," you said to me...to which I replied, "If I am, just shoot me." Which just goes to show...LOL!) but I couldn't recall the name.

I kinda figured the Hotel Pennsylvania was going to be so-so. Oh, well...I doubt we'll be spending TOO much time there! Afterall, yours is the city that never sleeps, right? ;-)

Thank you again! You're a sweetie! If you're ever in Wyoming, I'll return the favor!

Love,
Vegan Lady

Author: VeganLady Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2836 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 11/24/2001 11:08 AM
The only vegan restaurant I have gone to with some regularity is "Zen Palate" (on the above link). They have about 3-4 locations in Manhattan and I think their website is http://www.zenpalate.com (hope this works). I go there because they are moderately priced and tasty mostly Asian-style cuisine; it is a Buddhist-influenced restaurant.

I meant to ask you....which Zen Palate location do you normally eat at? I can't really tell which one will be closest to our hotel without a lot of map study, which I'm not in the mood for right now (I have the world's worst sense of direction, and I can barely fold a map right, much less read one! LOL!). Guess it doesn't matter much...they should all be the same, right? :-) By the way, your link to it DID work. Thank you! :-)

Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2838 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 11/24/2001 1:17 PM
I meant to ask you....which Zen Palate location do you normally eat at? I can't really tell which one will be closest to our hotel without a lot of map study, which I'm not in the mood for right now (I have the world's worst sense of direction, and I can barely fold a map right, much less read one! LOL!). Guess it doesn't matter much...they should all be the same, right? :-) By the way, your link to it DID work. Thank you! :-)

Hi VeganLady! :) Thanks much for the offer if I'm ever in Wyoming! (Btw, I think it's funny you never thought you'd be in NYC, but glad you're coming!)

I've been to two of the Zen Palates, the one on Broadway & 76th Street (upper west side) and the one downtown by Union Square and 16th Street. The one which is geographically closest to your hotel is the one on 9th Avenue & 46 Street, which is roughly 14 blocks up and 2 blocks west. BUT: What's probably easier - assuming you are taking the subway train, is to take the #1 or #2 train at 34 Street and take it up to the 79th Street train station at Broadway, and walk down 3 blocks. Manhattan is funny at times, that a farther is more convenient because of the easier train/bus access. I assume you will be taking the subways while you're in town? Taxis are modest, but they add up if you are taking them several times a day.

And, now, I thought of some more possible vegan-friendly options for you while you're in town; I realized you may not want to eat at a restaurant for all your meals and might want good quality take-out or related. I did a couple more quick searches and came up with these local NYC directories.

http://www.vegetarianusa.com/city/NewYorkCity.html
Take in particular note the list of healthfood stores and restaurants (organic, vegetarian, etc.). I suggest that you check out "LifeThyme" which has two branches (one at 410 Sixth Avenue & the other on Broadway & 82nd St; it's already opened). Most of the other names are vaguely familiar to me and I believe they all are well-established and reliable stores.

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/new_york/nyc/
This has a fuller list of restaurants, a few of which are not 100% vegetarian. I suggest that you stick with the ones listed as "vegan-friendly" or "vegan." I'm not sure how pricey some of these places are, but most of them tend to be moderate or cheap.

http://www.newhope.com/nfm-online/nfm_backs/Apr_01/som.cfm
This is an interview with the founder of the above-mentioned "LifeThyme" natural food stores. I never knew all this background about how they started and why, but their good service, quality of goods and selection have always appealed to me. In addition to the all vegan bakery and juice bar that the article mentions, they also have a salad bar which includes many good vegetarian (vegan?) selections.

Author: VeganLady Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2839 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 11/24/2001 8:20 PM
Thanks much for the offer if I'm ever in Wyoming! (Btw, I think it's funny you never thought you'd be in NYC, but glad you're coming!)

You are most welcome, the offer is genuine and I hope someday you can make it out this way! :-) And I think it's funny too, that I never thought I'd be in NYC and now here I come. My mother taught me to "never say never," but I guess I wasn't listening. Isn't life full of fun surprises? :-) I'm glad to be coming out there too. Last time I was in NYC I was 10. So that was 9 years ago! (HAHAHA.)

I assume you will be taking the subways while you're in town? Taxis are modest, but they add up if you are taking them several times a day.

I don't have a clue. Mind you, I come from a place where cattle drives tie up traffic. No kidding. Subways, buses, taxis...whatever's cheap and will get us where we're going! :-) Sounds like subways are best for traveling long distances, cabs for short distances...how are the buses? We're used to hiking, so we may hoof it a lot. Although I realize YOUR blocks are a lot bigger than OUR blocks! Well, we need to work up appetites for all that good food ya'll have there! So I guess we'll just spend the weekend walking from vegan restaurant to vegan restaurant and then waddle onto our plane to come home! :-)

But honestly, Dollar, you are a saint! Look at all the work you're doing on my behalf!!! I'm not worthy. Really, I appreciate it very, very much! I am printing lots of the lists to take with me, and it's an embarrassment of riches!

These sites you sent are wonderful. You should work for the NYC Chamber of Commerce. Or own your own NYC Veg*n Travel Agency. Or something!! :-)

Thanks again!!!

Love,
Vegan Lady

Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2840 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 11/25/2001 1:05 AM
I don't have a clue. Mind you, I come from a place where cattle drives tie up traffic. No kidding. Subways, buses, taxis...whatever's cheap and will get us where we're going! :-) Sounds like subways are best for traveling long distances, cabs for short distances...how are the buses? We're used to hiking, so we may hoof it a lot. Although I realize YOUR blocks are a lot bigger than OUR blocks! Well, we need to work up appetites for all that good food ya'll have there! So I guess we'll just spend the weekend walking from vegan restaurant to vegan restaurant and then waddle onto our plane to come home! :-)

Hehehe... I just loved your post, VeganLady. :) Gives me a very different perspective of living in NY!

Some thoughts about traveling in NYC: Actually, subways are excellent for either long or short distances, but my first preference always is to walk! :) The city is very easy to navigate on foot and it's hard to get lost as long as you know north and south (northwards, the street #s get higher; southwards, the #s get lower). Taking taxis here is often an exercise in futility, meant only for those who have more money than patience. The patience I'm referring to is the relatively brief waits for trains and buses, and for standing in general. If you are trying to get crosstown, taxis typically get stuck in gridlock. There is nothing humanly possible to deal with this. I usually avoid taxis altogether and walk when needing to go crosstown. Or, taxis are a virtual requirement if you have a lot of luggage or packages which make walking for train/bus riding too cumbersome.

In terms of buying the tokens/metrocards for taking buses and subways: I prefer the metrocards to tokens. The MetroCards can be bought in either the "unlimited" form per time period (one day, seven days, or 30 days), or the pay per ride (you pay a fixed amount for a fixed # of trips). If you plan to have relatively high frequency travel (3 trains or buses a day), it makes sense to get the unlimited. In your case, that would mean a $4 pass, per day. Since you are only staying three days, it would be an expenditure of $12 all three days, per person.

Let's see... hmmm, on walking (can't remember if I've spoken on this as yet). This is my personal favorite mode of traveling in the city, except when it's raining hard or if I am pressed for time (then I take the train). When you come to the city, just bring comfortable shoes for walking, or standing (if you have to wait in lines which is frequently expected). Also, in terms of dress, December is a funny weather month; sometimes it can be moderately warm (in the upper 50s), but dip down to freezing temperatures by night fall. It might rain, snow, or none of the above. Don't bring too much clothes, but be prepared for almost anything; I suggest wearing casual clothes that you can quickly and easily layer up.

Other things: It's quite possible to walk almost everywhere. There are some selective areas which might be somewhat seedier than the rest, but this often changes block by block. Even so, most of where you are will probably be very safe. The area near 9th Ave. & 46 St. (Zen Palate) is borderline seedy since it's at the edge of the old Times Square and the Hells Kitchen areas. There are numerous places I think are great for you to walk, specifically the famous Brooklyn Bridge which I used to walk to and fro for exercise, on the weekends (it takes me 70 minutes roundtrip, but you may walk it slower for the view). I wish I could've pointed where the Twin Towers once stood, which was quite obvious from the bridge's view. I haven't walked it since before 9/11. Also, this is very near Ground Zero, barely 15 minutes on foot. The Brooklyn Bridge is a block from City Hall, too. Chinatown is maybe about 20 minutes north on foot (and I recall that there are a few Chinese vegetarian places there).

Oh, I realized I rambled on so... very little of what I've said has anything to do with veg*nism, heh, but I do hope you'll have a great trip. I should point out that between Thanksgiving and New Years, there are numerous types of big events in NYC going on for all the holidays, the Christmas shows, etc. The biggest free events I know (don't know when you'll be here) includes the lighting of the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center (this is usually either the first Tuesday or Wednesday of Dec., but I'm not exactly sure!) and the famous dropping of the ball at Times Square on New Years eve. Each of these events require lots of patience, comfortable shoes for standing, and being dressed warmly.

Enough for now... VL, if you'd like to e-mail me directly for more info. or details, please do! :) I don't mind trying to expedite visitors to our city, at all. It's a great way of reminding myself how loved the city is and how different our experiences are, heh.

Best wishes, $IQ
Still trying to picture a cattle drive stopping traffic!

Author: VeganLady Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2842 of 5683
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Chili Date: 11/25/2001 7:45 AM
Enough for now... VL, if you'd like to e-mail me directly for more info. or details, please do! :) I don't mind trying to expedite visitors to our city, at all. It's a great way of reminding myself how loved the city is and how different our experiences are, heh.

Still trying to picture a cattle drive stopping traffic!

Good morning, $IQ!

Yes, I'll accept your invitation to email you directly, because I do have quite a few questions, which I didn't even realize I had until you brought up some excellent points. So it's all YOUR fault...you remember that. ;-)

Once again, I think you so very much for all the great scoop and advice! I'm the same way when folks express an interest in coming here. It's wonderful when you live in a place you appreciate so much that you want to share it with everyone! And I'll bet your posts to this board will inspire others to want to visit NYC! (Dang, now those lines are just going to be longer!) ;-)

Not only do cattle drives hold up traffic here, but my husband is a UPS man who delivers to a lot of the ranches in this area, and he routinely sees bald eagles, moose, and coyotes on his route...once he had to stop his truck to let a herd of elk cross the road! :-) And last Christmas Eve there was a mountain lion in our neighbor's driveway! (Caroling, no doubt.) ;-) It's sometimes hard to remember how really vast and varied our country is. NYC will be a fun experience...thanks in no small part to your generous help in making my visit go smoother!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Love,
V/L

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement