Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5657  
Subject: Vegetarian Hoppin' John Date: 10/6/2012 11:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I based this on a bunch of Hoppin' John Recipes I found:

canned black-eyed peas

canned diced petite tomatoes

imitation bacon bits (aka Baco's)

instant rice, cooked (I used brown, but after the arsenic discussion, might start using white when the brown rice runs out)

chopped onion

chopped green peppers

chopped red peppers

chopped celery

Saute onions, peppers, celery until onions are translucent, and veggies slightly browned.

Mix sauteed veggies with black-eyed peas, diced tomatoes, cooked rice and baco's.

That's it.

Note: I did not drain the cans--just let the rice absorb the liquid.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5450 of 5657
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Hoppin' John Date: 10/6/2012 2:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This the recipe with approximate measurements:

Vegetarian (Vegan) Hoppin' John

1 15-oz. canned black-eyed peas

1 15-oz. canned diced petite tomatoes

1/2 c. imitation bacon bits (aka Baco's)

2 c .instant rice, cooked (yields ~ 4 c. cooked)

1 medium onion, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 red pepper, chopped

2 ribs celery, chopped

In non-stick pan, coated with cooking spray, saute onions, peppers, celery until onions are translucent, and veggies slightly browned.

Mix sauteed veggies with black-eyed peas, diced tomatoes, cooked rice and baco's.

Note: I did not drain the cans--just let the rice absorb the liquid.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement