Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55941  
Subject: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/2/1999 6:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all cooking fools!

My brother-in-law is bringing his new girlfriend home and she is a vegetarian!

Help!

My mother-in-law is clueless, as am I!

I know to give her fruits and veggies, but what else?

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Thanks sooooooo much!

Deannda
::have nothing against vegetarians, just don't touch my hamburger, LOL::
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ajh1120 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4328 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/2/1999 7:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I know to give her fruits and veggies, but what else?

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!

Does she eat eggs and dairy?

How about quiche? [Sorry, I meant "egg-pie", for those real men who don't eat quiche.]

Pasta marinara/pesto

Antipasta salad - start with a small amount of lettuce and add a bunch of stuff. We usually add a little deli meat, but you can leave that out. Artichoke hearts, mushrooms, carrots, cheese, olives, croutons, etc.

Warning: I'm not a vegetarian either, but we do try to eat that way at least 1-2 times a week.

Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4329 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/2/1999 8:45 PM
For a main dish you might do eggplant, fried or baked, with marinara sauce. For a "starch", perhaps spaghetti squash, or a real starch like black beans and rice. If you're feeling really exotic, you might try South Indian sambar.

Author: Genygirl Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4330 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/2/1999 8:49 PM
There is a site that will be posting vegetarian dishes, I don't know when it will be done but you can start there as they also have a pasta and fish site.

The site is www.allrecipes.com

Just click on one of the icons, ie.,the pasta site is a noodle.

Hope this helps.

Genygirl

Author: Genygirl Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4331 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/2/1999 8:59 PM
There is also a site www.mealsforyou.com

Genygirl

Author: mikefar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4333 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/2/1999 9:52 PM
TDMENEUF:

Not trying to put you off, but you may get better results with this question on the "Health and Nutrition" Board.

Author: Linne Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4334 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/2/1999 10:52 PM

You really do need to find out if she eats dairy/eggs, since a lot of these have cheese. Thanks to Hunzi's great work, here are some ideas:

Tagliarini al Limone
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000096005

Spinach and Mushroom Enchiladas
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000141000

Eggplant Casserole
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000162000

Lasagna with Roasted Vegetables and Pesto
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000278007

Stuffed Eggplant
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000299000

Macaroni and Cheese
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000391026

Pasta Primavera
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000527000

Ratatouille
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000575012

Microwave Mushroom Risotto
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000024004

Potato Casserole
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000191000

Portabello Mushrooms
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000383003

Black-Eyed Pea Frittata
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000420003

Mushroom Pie
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000419008

Portabella Mushroom/Cheese Sandwich
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350008000558001

Author: lluviosa One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4335 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/2/1999 11:39 PM
you might check out the moosewood cookbook, a 70's vegetarian classic that i always haul out for guests who inexplicably won't eat leg of lamb:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0898154901/o/qid=933651272/sr=2-1/002-4195652-8645252

my favorite summer recipe is chilled cucumber-yogurt soup:

4 cups peeled seeded chopped cucumber
2 cups water
2 cups yogurt
1 clove garlic
several fresh mint leaves
1Tbs. honey
1.5 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp dill weed

chopped scallions or chives for garnish

Puree everything together in the blender (except garnish)

Serve very cold.

Author: mafoo One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4353 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/3/1999 3:07 PM
OK, I'm a vegetarian, too. And I don't eat cheese. But I'm an interesting, irreverent, fun-lovin' gal ... really!

Any way, it's really not that big a deal.
A few approaches:

1. Serve what you would normally serve, but keep the vegetable parts separate from the meat parts of the meal. My mother-in-law is still amazed that I'm not interested in picking the vegetables out of an everything-in-one-pot kind of meat and potaotes and vegetable dish. But i'm very happy eating salad, vegetables and bread. Make extra salad and maybe make one extra vegetable dish.

2. Serve pasta with marinara sauce (the red kind with no meat) or primavera, salad and bread.

3. Go to your local news stand and get the latest edition of Vegetarian Times. There will be lots of recipes in there and the investment is minimal. If you find youself intrigued, the Vegetarian Times cook books are good.

Hope this helps!!

Author: TGDennison Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4356 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/3/1999 5:07 PM
I have a few vegetarian friends. One of the easiest things I've done is ka-bobs. Put out lots of veggies (mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, squash, red/green/yellow peppers, onions, etc.) and marinated beef (or chicken or shrimp or ...) and let everyone string on those items that they like. Grill and serve with your favorite sides. It always works for me.
Good Luck

Tamara

Author: klash Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4357 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/3/1999 5:12 PM
and let everyone string on those items that they like. Grill and serve with your favorite sides. It always works for me.

That is a great idea!
Now if I could just keep my guests out of the porterhouse.

Klash

Author: LynnHerron Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4358 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/3/1999 7:13 PM
Is she coming for a meal or two or to stay for a while? If it is a meal or two, some good ideas have already been posted.

She's staying for a while? Phone and ask her what she eats and how you can cater for her. Just like meat eaters we veggies love to talk about food and recipes! You'll be friends before she even gets to your home!

Author: LynnHerron Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4359 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/3/1999 7:34 PM
Ratatouille is a really easy veggie dish which most non veggies enjoy too. No quantities given as you can be very flexible about this according to what you have available.

Sweat onions in olive oil until they soften. Add garlic, lemon juice, herbs if liked, sliced courgette with skin on or sliced marrow with skin and seeds removed, quartered tomatoes and sliced aubergine (don't peel), plus about an eggcupful of water (or wine if you are feeling rich). Some people like to add thinly cut celery, or substitute it for one of the other ingredients. Cook on lowest heat in tightly lidded pan until vegetables soft and swimming in 'juice'. Eat now or put in heatproof dish, cover with sliced apple, sprinkle with grated cheese and flash under grill until cheese bubbles.

Delicious with baked potato and/or good bread plus a green salad or cooked green veg.

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4360 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/3/1999 9:42 PM
LynnHerron said:
sliced courgette with skin on or sliced marrow with skin and seeds removed

Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't know what courgette and marrow are, but I'd bet that I'm not. I looked them up, and courgette is zucchini and vegetable marrow is defined as any of various smooth-skinned elongated summer squashes with creamy white to deep green skins.

Thanks for the recipe, Lynn...and I hope you don't mind my interpretation, and correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Patti

Author: SpeedyG39 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4361 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/3/1999 9:49 PM
Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't know what courgette and marrow are, but I'd bet that I'm not.

No, Patti, you're not. I've never heard those terms before either. You saved me the trouble of looking them up!

Pat

Author: laopera Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4362 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/3/1999 9:55 PM
Recommendations: 1

Take some spuds, a lot of them, say 10. Cube them, large cubes. Now take some butter and fry a chopped onion in the usual way in a saucepan. Meanwhile, deepfry or saute the potatoes in olive oil. If you're in a hurry, just brown them and cook them the rest of the way in the microwave. You don't have to cook them all the way, but most of the way.

Did I say you needed some tomatoes? About three or four, enough to make the potatoes a stew. Clean and dice these.

Get out a really large pot. Toss the tomatoes and the onions and the and the potatoes together into this pot and cook it for about forty-five minutes. Now get some kalamata olives, about half a pound, pit, and toss 'em in, too. And garlic and salt of course. Just add your own damn seasonings. But make them Greek-y.

For this is a delicious Greek Lenten dish, a potato stew, which tastes as rich as meat but without any meat at all. It's amazing.

laopera

Author: Devicall Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4385 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 2:34 PM
You might try sending a note to NewLeafLLC@aol.com. Patricia is a vegitarian chef and may give you some ideas.

Author: teep2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4387 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 3:10 PM
LynnHerron wrote:
>>> Ratatouille is a really easy veggie dish which most non veggies enjoy too. No quantities given as
you can be very flexible about this according to what you have available.
<<<

I agree. Ratatouille (rat-a-too-ee for those lacking in french) is a lovely food. Here is an alternate recipe that we use in my family. Same concept, somewhat different ingredients. Amounts can vary as to taste, we use the amount given in parenthesis after ingredient.

You will need a LARGE frying pan. The big size. Biggest you have, with a lid. Really great if it has deep sides, like for frying chicken. If it is cast iron, you have rung the cherries for 'approved by Jessica' cookware.

olive oil (4 T), mushed cloves of garlic (four or five), coarsely chopped onion (half a really big one): sautee until aromatic. Add (in the order of the list)

Peeled cubed eggplant (one medium sized one)
halved, sliced zuchinni (one not-huge one)
quartered, sliced yellow summer squash (one smallish)
sliced green pepper (one pepper)
sliced red pepper (one pepper)
sliced yellow pepper (one pepper)
tomatos cut into wedges (two fist-sized tomatos)
sliced mushrooms (half an 8 oz box)
basil, oregano, splash or two of cheap white or pink wine.

(oregano like three shakes, basil about six shakes, maybe more, wine is probably between 1/4 and 1/2 cup but I don't measure it)

Put lid on, turn heat to a med-low setting, it should be able to boil covered, but not very vigorously. Stir every ten minutes or so. Cook until all veggies are pretty wilty and the juice is tasty, probably 1/2 hour to 40 min. Serve over rice, good on basmati, brown rice, or regular white rice. Also good on (please don't cringe) spaghetti type things (with cheese on top) instead of sauce.

Serves four with seconds, nukes well, can be frozen.

NB: If the squash (zuchinni and yellow squash) is sort of large and has a tough skin, peel it first. If they are young and have tender skin, leave it on. You are aiming for a sort of chunky vegetable stew sort of thing, all pieces should be ballpark-mouth-size so that a knife is not required.

Jessica

Author: teep2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4392 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 3:39 PM
black beans and rice, easy but time consuming. You *can* use canned beans, but I don't like them as much.

Ingredients: 1 16 oz. bag dried black turtle beans, 1 large white onion, cumin (a spice), tabasco (or other pepper sauce) bay leaf, garlic (several cloves), red pepper, black pepper, rice, tiny amount curry powder.

Directions:

Wash beans and cover them with water the night before. Let them soak, remove any floaters.

Next morning, pour the whole mess into the crock pot or into a regular large pan as you'd use for soups. You add the garlic and onion (chopped up), a bay leaf, and 2 teasp. cumin, several shakes of peppers and pepper sauce at this point. Boil solidly, or turn the crock pot on high. Stir to keep from sticking, add water if it seems dry. Cook until beans are completely soft and juice has thickened and is the color of hot-chocolate brown. This takes two hours (maybe) on stovetop, 8 in crock pot. If you do not feel it is thick enough and the beans are completely cooked, take a cup of beans and food process, put back in, and voila, it will be thicker. Your goal here is about the consistency of baked beans.

When beans are done or nearly done, cook rice but add a pinch of curry powder (not much, all we want is the yellow color) to the water. This will color the rice yellow so it looks cute with the black beans.

Serve with sides of : grated white cheese (monterey jack, anything white and kind of mild), salsa cruda (chopped tomato, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, cilantro, chopped jalapeno).

This makes a 'complete' meal with all proteins in there. Very healthy, hardly any fat. Good for you and cheap besides.

Makes lots and lots. Freezes, reheats well.

Jessica

Author: nattjazzz Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4393 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 4:28 PM
One Step Meatless Lasagna
14 1/2 ounce can diced Italian style tomatoes
14 ounce jar spaghetti sauce
8 ounces lasagna noodles
16 ounces fat free cottage cheese
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Combine/mix tomatoes/spaghetti sauce and Ground Meatless in a bowl. Spread 1/3 of this sauce in bottom of 11x7 in. baking dish. Arrange 1/2 of the uncooked noodles over the sauce. Spread 1/2 the cottage cheese over the noodles. Top w/another 1/3 of sauce. Repeat using remaining noodles/cottage cheese and sauce. Cover w/alum. foil and bake for 50 minutes.
Uncover & sprinkle w/mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Let stand for 10 mins., sprinkle w/parsley and voila, you're finished.

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4395 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 7:00 PM
mikefar points out:
Not trying to put you off, but you may get better results with this question on the "Health and Nutrition" Board.

While the Health and Nutrition board would be great for just that, I need recipes.

I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong board, but I thought for sure that if I needed recipes, I should come to the "RECIPE"" board.

And I thought for sure that there would be people who are practicing vegetarians here that could give me some advice and "recipes".

I don't plan on becoming a vegetarian, and as often as this brother-in-law comes home (maybe 2 times a year) all my mother-in-law and I need are some "recipes" so we can fix some dishes for her and not just hand her raw and/or cooked vegetables and fruits.

But thank you for your input.

Deannda
::who is trying to find out just how strict a vegetarian the girlfriend is::

Author: TDMENEUF Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4396 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 7:08 PM
Thank you everyone very much!

I really appreciate your efforts!

We found out that they won't be here as long as we expected, but that's okay, we will be ready next time they come.

And I now have some more great recipes to try. I hear that going meatless a couple of times a week can be really good for you!

I will never be able to get my family to give up meat completely but if I can get them to go a couple of days a week without, well all the better for this houshold!

Thanks again!!!!!

Deannda
::love all these new recipes and links, the printer is going nuts!::

Author: twocbock Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4397 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 7:41 PM
I will never be able to get my family to give up meat completely but if I can get them to go a couple
of days a week without, well all the better for this houshold!

Deannda,

Here's the trick - don't tell them!! Don't say anything about how healthy the food is or how clever it is that there isn't any meat in the meal. Simply make it and serve it. A few months from now maybe say something, but not right up front. I learned that from my husband. He said it was okay for me to try different things, but I couldn't tell him about it. He knew himself well enough that if I told him it was healthy (or vegetarian or low-fat or whatever), he would immediately take a disliking to it. But if I don't say anything, he'll eat it and honestly judge it. Give it a try!

twocbock

Author: mikefar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4399 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 8:16 PM
TDMENEUF:

I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong board, but I thought for sure that if I needed recipes, I should come to
the "RECIPE"" board.

And I thought for sure that there would be people who are practicing vegetarians here that could give
me some advice and "recipes".

Deannda,

My answer was a sincere effort to be helpful. Sorry if you took offense!

mike

Author: LucyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4404 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 11:28 PM
re: don't tell your family there's no meat.
My nieces just found out that the "Abalone Casserole" that their Dad (my brother) had been making for them for years was actually....EGGPLANT....yechtch (according to the girls)
Lucy

Author: Missmes Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4406 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/4/1999 11:36 PM
Nice diversion. Thanks for the sweet correction Mikefar. Check out Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. It won Julia Child Cookbook Award and James Beard Foundation Award.

Don't forget that where there's a vegetarian lurks a vegan at heart. May not want any animal products or by-products including cheese, milk, etc. Power to the animals!

Now where does this lead us on the stock market? Can conscious investing lead us to investing in companies with a conscience? The first time I heard of it was through an activist in the '70s who turned me on to Working Assets. Food for thought.

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4413 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/5/1999 3:24 AM
Missmes:
Now where does this lead us on the stock market? Can conscious investing lead us to investing in companies with a conscience? The first time I heard of it was through an activist in the '70s who turned me on to Working Assets. Food for thought.

Thanks for the inspiration, but I take my profits straight up! Business is business; religion is religion; fun is fun; life is life; activism is activism... Why on earth would you want to go and mix them all up into one pot???

Oh, I forgot, sex is sex.

8^)
OleDoc

Author: rvbradish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4422 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/5/1999 12:19 PM
Hi, Deannda:

"I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong board,"

Not to worry, you've got the RIGHT board. If the question and/or answer pertains to food -- 'DIS IS DER PLACE!

Dine on!!!

Ray

Author: TuJeste One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4432 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/5/1999 7:00 PM
Heres a veggie recipe that we're eating at home tonight

Quick and easy to put together

8oz red lentils
8oz fresh tomatoes, sliced
1 pack frozen spinach (10oz?)
grated cheese

Wash and rinse lentils, cook in 1 pint water until soft, season with salt and pepper. Drain.
Thaw spinach and drain as much water off as possible

In a shallow casserole dish
Layer in the drained spinach, season with salt and pepper
Then put in tomatoes as a layer
Now put on lentils and spread to cover

And finally cover with grated cheese
Bake in a medium oven until cheese is bubbling (20-30 minutes)

Author: LynnHerron Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4434 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/5/1999 8:08 PM
'Perhaps I'm the only one who didn't know what courgette and marrow are, but I'd bet that I'm not. I looked them up, and courgette is zucchini and vegetable marrow is defined as any of various smooth-skinned elongated summer squashes with creamy white to deep green skins'

Ooops sorry! I'm posting from the UK and we have different names for some vegetables. Yes courgette is zucchini. I'd define Marrow a bit more tightly as what you'd get if you let a courgette continue to grow into a big vegetable. A friend who is a keen gardener tells me that seeds/seedlings are actually defined as being 'courgette' or 'marrow' but we're both agreed that if you pick a marrow when it is still baby sized then you get something that looks and tastes just like a courgette and if you pick a courgette which has grown too big while you were away for the weekend you get something which looks and tastes just like a marrow! (Unless a marrow is very young with tender skin it needs to be peeled and have the seed core removed, while courgette is just sliced whole). The classic 'Ratatouille' recipe uses courgette/marrow but anything fitting your definition would do the job just fine in the recipe.

Author: TMFKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4438 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/5/1999 11:44 PM
Omnivores get all upset when vegetarians come for dinner. They seem to focus on what can't be had and lose sight of what can be had. Another problem is they try and cook with ingredients (like tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc.) they rarely if ever buy and prepare. Cook with ingredients you know.

Another problem is that somehow the word vegetarian has been linked with dairy products. Very few vegetarians actually eat dairy products. I would not add it to any dish. Certainly, cheese can be on the side for omnivore or cheese eating vegetarian use.

Making meals without dairy or meat products is simple. Every culture has several such meals (except American LOL).

Here are some thoughts from around the world...I don't use recipes when I cook but I will post something if requested:

Chili with beans is excellent. Serve it over brown rice. Have some cheese on the side if the omnivores are going to grumble (I doubt it though).

Pasta with vegetables.

White bean jambalaya

Cereal with soymilk (in case she stays for breakfast LOL).

If your familiar with Asian cooking and ingredients it is practically all vegetarian. It is only Americans that add the chicken or beef strips. Stir fry some veggies and mushrooms and serve over rice.

Roasted vegetable wrap sandwiches are fun. Simply roast a whole bushel of veggies (eggplant, mushrooms, onion, squash, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, etc.). Get some whole wheat burrito wraps. Have some different condiments around for people to use (tapenade, dijon mustard, honey mustard, hummus, salsa, etc.). Then let people build their wraps.

Patrick

Author: SK2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4439 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/6/1999 3:42 AM
Honey, paleeeze, what is all the uproar about!? I personally have been a "vegetarian" ah, for 16 years! Number One rule to remember: We like people food too! Go ahead and cook as you normally would for any adult human being. I especially love down home cooking - ie: baked beans - get the vegetarian ones with no pork - Bush's makes a really good one - I add sliced green onions, hot catsup, and a little brown sugar, and a little yellow mustard when I cook them. Also: any kind of potatoes! Scalloped, baked, red, any kind! This is where potato salad comes in great. (Or,If you make a mean cole slaw - go to it. Serve some type of rolls with butter. If you want to serve some type of vegetable dish - go for it. There you have it! Don't go and try and make a "vegetarian meal" without some type of practice - Your dinner could turn into a disaster.Go ahead and make your meat dish for the rest of the guests! You really don't have to do anything different - I mean who needs the stress???? Vegetarian is nothing but a fancy name. Keep me posted.

Author: SK2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4440 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/6/1999 3:53 AM
Right, like this girl is really going to know how to make South Indian sambar???? And eggplant???? Eggplant is the hardest thing in the world to try and cook, without ever doing it before. I'm not trying to be nasty, but paleeeze get real. She doesn't need someone trying to be fancy. She can just cook as she normally does, except the sister-in-law just doesn't eat the meat - get it?

Author: SK2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4441 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/6/1999 3:55 AM
As far as that chilled Cucumber-Yogurt Soup - that sounds really gross!

Author: SK2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4442 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/6/1999 4:03 AM
Excuse me, but you said a Greek Lenten Dish? Where are the lentils? Anyway,the recipe sounds good, except for the lentils.

Author: LucyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4447 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/6/1999 11:15 AM
Not lentel as in peas/beans LENT as in Ash Wednesday, Easter, etc.

Thanks for the belly-laugh!

Author: Trevar Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4465 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/7/1999 1:47 PM
My brother-in-law is bringing his new girlfriend home and she is a vegetarian! Help!

As a long-time vegetarian, I am always uncomfortable when I go to someone's home and they make a big fuss over making sure I get enough to eat -- simply because I don't want the meat. My advice is to simply prepare your menus with lots of fresh fruit, salad, vegetables, and whole grains -- prepared in an attractive and healthy way -- and then just relax. I adapt very easily to whatever is being served -- I simply avoid the meat. It would be good to know in advance, though, what type of vegetarian she is. If she's vegan, then you will also need to be aware of the use of dairy products (e.g., cheese) in any prepared dishes you might make.

Trevar

Author: temple1 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4488 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/9/1999 5:59 PM
JABoa, what is South Indian sambar, and how do you make it? Sounds intriguing.

temple1

Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4490 of 55941
Subject: Re: Vegetarian Recipes Needed, ASAP Date: 8/9/1999 8:40 PM
Sambar is a sort of vegetarian curry based on lentils or dried split peas. It's quite spicy, and you serve it over rice and with something like Indian lime pickle to heat you up further, and raita or just plain yogurt to cool you down.

I don't make it myself and haven't had it often, but here is a link I found:

http://indiancook.homepage.com/index.html.

When I clicked on this to check the link, I got a mildly nasty message from homepage.com that said I was being naughty or something. Where it says click here, do that and it will go through.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (39) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement