Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

What CJBB wrote is absolutely correct.

Such a statement is required for what should be obvious reasons:

The fact that you file from your APO address on April 30, doesn't necessarily mean you were already "in-country" on April 15 and thus eligible for the extension.

In addition to the statement suggested by cjbb, I suggest the following:

In big bold (preferrably red) lettering at the top and bottom of your Form 1040 write the following: "TAXPAYER ABROAD".

If nothing else, this makes it a little bit less likely the person processing your return will overlook your overseas residence statement.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.