Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: solasis Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 297  
Subject: verbage of the con artist Date: 10/24/2002 1:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
i'm not the author but too good not to share

"Buddy" - real life experience has been bad with people that call me this.
"Between you and me" - uh, probably not
"Don't tell anyone but..." - probably a lie or in the public domain already.
"I don't want to tell you but..." - this line was actually used on me by a broker years ago. when someone makes believe they are telling me a secret that they are hesitant to release, they want me to beg or cajole, I know it is worthless or worse. Just a con.
"Have I told you...this guy, he's made a ton of money and looking for new partners" - a ton of something alright but probably not money
"as you and i both know"..... content is guaranteed to be marginally true at best or most often outright false.
<..>
Based upon my 34 years of law practice involving business transactions, I would add one other classic to your list. Anyone who says
"You can trust me on this" should be avoided. However, if he/she says,
"You can trust me because I am a God fearing man/woman", avoid him/her at all costs as he/she is definitely crooked.
<..>
as soros used to tell me " the more you claim you're honest, the faster i count my silver "

Print the post Back To Top
Author: rerics Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 245 of 297
Subject: Re: verbage of the con artist Date: 3/10/2003 3:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Also, more obviously:

"To tell you the truth, blah blah..."

or

"To be perfectly honest with you, blah blah..."

rerics

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement