UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: xcwmjx Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 1/30/2001 5:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
When a credit card is presented at a retail establishment - is the individual accepting the card responsible for verifying the identity of the
person using it. If someone other than the owner has used the credit card - can the retail establishment be at fault?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: EditorialWe Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56175 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 1/30/2001 7:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
If you dispute a credit card charge, the credit card company will look to the retailer for documentation of the charge. If the retailer can't provide proof that the charge was made by an authorized person, then the charge will be refused.

Your liability for unauthorized charges is technically $50 but in most cases they won't even make you pay the $50. If you dispute an unauthorized charge right away after you get the bill, you will be better off.

Don't make the mistake I made when I was young and naive and discovered my first-ever fraudulent charge on a credit card bill. I disputed the charge and thought I was done. Well, then I got my *next* bill and there were about a dozen more unauthorized charges. Someone had gotten ahold of my information and was continuing to use it. For safety, I'd say that any card you see an unauthorized charge on should be cancelled immediately. You can get the card issuer to give you a new card with a different number.

EditorialWe

Author: Dummheit One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56257 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 1/31/2001 9:57 AM
====When a credit card is presented at a retail establishment - is the individual accepting the card responsible for verifying the identity of the
person using it. If someone other than the owner has used the credit card - can the retail establishment be at fault? ====

My wife is in charge of stocking the supplies at the company she works for (one of many "extra" jobs she has picked up there). She pays for the stuff with her bosses AMEX card. I asked her if anyone had said anything and she said no. She asked the cashier why they had never asked her for ID or noticed that her name is nothing like the one on the card and the cashier replied that the store was would approve any charge regardless of who signed for the item, without checking ID, because they did not want to inconvience/insult their customers!

Dummheit

Author: impolite Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56259 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 1/31/2001 10:07 AM
My second job includes acting as a cashier. I always ask for ID, and won't run the card unless they 1) have ID with them, and 2) it matches the name on the card. Some people get upset! One lady asked why she should show me her ID, and I said she didn't -- and she wouldn't get her furniture.

Why would anyone be upset if someone wanted to see their ID? I write "SEE ID" on the back of all my CCs, so that I am always asked. I don't want a criminal to be able to use my card, even if I'm not liable for anything over $50.

Sheesh.

impolite
disgruntled cashier

Author: mlomker Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56265 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 1/31/2001 10:45 AM
even if I'm not liable for anything over $50.

My understanding is that it is $50 liability from the time that you report it missing. If someone runs up a ton of bills before you can report it (perhaps you didn't notice the card was missing) then you are strictly on the good graces of your CC company to reverse the charges.

Author: susiepooh Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56271 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 1/31/2001 11:18 AM
<<Why would anyone be upset if someone wanted to see their ID? >>

Only once was I upset about an ID being checked, but that was because of the way it was done. I was making a charge purchase that was maybe $11. The cashier asked to see ID, which I had no problem with. But then he started scrutinizing the signatures between the two IDs and asked to see another one with photo. He was looking at the photos, looking at me, looking at the signature, and asking me questions as to whether this was really me or not. It was insane. All signatures were pretty much identical, and the photo was recent, so it was definitely me. He was treating me like a criminal, all for $11. I never shopped there again.

On the flip side, I once complained to my bank for *NOT* checking ID. I usually made very small withdrawals from my checking account, maybe $200 maximum. One day I showed up with a withdrawal slip, already signed before I got to the window, for about $2500. They didn't check my signature on the computer against the one on file, nor did they ask for ID since I hadn't even signed it in front of them. I could've just picked up somebody's withdrawal slip off the floor and took off with the money. I was disturbed that they were that careless with checking who was doing transactions on my account, especially with such a large amount of money.

Sue

Author: bcfrench Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56280 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 1/31/2001 11:41 AM
My second job includes acting as a cashier. I always ask for ID, and won't run the card unless they 1) have ID with them, and 2) it matches the name on the card. Some people get upset!

I would always be happy to provide ID or wait while my signature is being checked. It's for MY protection.

However, I do run an online business and I accept Visa and MasterCard (merchant fees for Amex are too high for me to accept those right now). Accepting credit cards is part of doing business on the Web; you really can't NOT offer this and expect to stay in business online, especially since I have customers in 26 countries.

It's impossible for me to verify ownership of a card when I can't compare signatures. My network does require address verification and I never accept a card outright when the card name and applicant name don't match; I have called people at my own expense to verify that they do have permission to use a card for someone else.

In my six years as an online business, I've had maybe six chargebacks -- cases where someone has disputed a charge. In one case, it was apparently a case of mistaken identity. In the other five cases, the person did not recognize my business' name (FBRL Services) as the website (Fanciers Breeder Referral List). Now, on all my return receipts I tell people that their statement will show a charge to FBRL SERVICES and I've had no chargebacks since.

I'm very interested in the new stuff on electronic signatures. Maybe this will help with this issue in the long run.

...Barb

Author: MerriSedai One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56479 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 2/1/2001 6:20 AM
Regarding why people may not want to show ID: I have been divorced for five years. At the time of my divorce, there was a chance the children (my ex's from his first marriage) would continue to see/ live with me, so I did not have my name changed at the time of the divorce. Now I have no contact with anyone from that family and I use my original name. Since DMV was willing to change my name on my driver's license, but some of the credit card companies would not change my name without a court order, I don't "match." Most store clerks have been understanding about the problem (especially since my married name was hyphenated & therefore my maiden name is obvious), but it's more of an explanation that I want to go into when I'm in a hurry.

Of course, I don't use my credit cards any more, so there shouldn't be any more problems . . .

Author: MuddleHeadedFool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56667 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 2/1/2001 9:39 PM
Merri said: Since DMV was willing to change my name on my driver's license, but some of the credit card companies would not change my name without a court order, I don't "match."

I retained my maiden name when I got married. Five years later, I took my husband's last name on our anniversary. The law, in my state anyway, is clear on the requirements and there is no requirement to have a court order to change your name. You may simply start using whatever name you wish to, as long as you are doing so to commit fraud. That said, I figured it was a) easier to make the adminstrative functions of all the companies I do business with happy, by presenting them with a copy of the court order, and b) the court order document made for a nice presentation to my husband over our anniversary dinner.

Since there was a court order done in my case, two entities decided they require a copy of it to make the change. One was the mortgage (probably partly to do with the registry of the deed) and the other is my passport. ALL my credit card accounts accepted me at my word and changed the name without a court order. I suggest that you call them all again, and have the CSR get their supervisor if necessary.

And then again, if it's easier to get the court order, this is a simple process. You want to see the probate court in your district, there's a simple form you fill out, and file with a fee (in NH it was $25, I think) and then you'll be placed on the docket and be notified of an appointment to meet with the judge. It's basically a big rubber stamp experience. Hold onto the official copy of the document. Many companies will accept a copy of this, without the embossed seal, but the few entities that require an official one (Social Security) usually only want to SEE it, not necessarily keep it. A few will need to keep it (like the passport authority), so if you know you need to provide a keeper, plan that ahead and pay the fee to have a couple official copies provided. Otherwise, you can simply order them by mail when you need them.

MHF

Author: MuddleHeadedFool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56668 of 308881
Subject: Re: Verifying who's using a credit card Date: 2/1/2001 9:41 PM
Recommendations: 1
You may simply start using whatever name you wish to, as long as you are doing so to commit fraud.

Missed the Preview button... that should have said NOT doing it to commit fraud....

:o

More MuddleHeaded than usual, but still a Fool!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement