No. of Recommendations: 6
Vermont tried that calculation not long ago

"The Daily Beast said Shumlin dropped single-payer after an estimate said it would cost $4.3 billion a year, almost the size of the state’s entire $4.9 billion budget.
The Washington Post reported that Shumlin said he could not "responsibly support" an 11.5 percent payroll tax hike on all Vermont businesses and an income tax hike of up to 9.5 percent that his administration said would be required."

Ok, let's take a real-life example that we have in the US. MassHealth, the "model" for the ObamaCare, and one of the reasons Romney was such a miserable choice as candidate against Obama, has had financial issues all along and has had to reduce eligibility repeatedly over the years. My mom lived in Massachusetts and when she was on it, the limits were around $1000 a month. Now it is down to $522. To give you an idea of how low that is, the Poverty Level Threshold in the US is $12,752 a year for a single person over 65, and $11,756 for a single person under 65 - almost double the level on the threshold on MassHealth. So basically, half the people living in poverty make too much to be fully covered by MassHealth.

Ajax, tell me again how well this works because I am not seeing it.

Kathleen
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement