Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19219  
Subject: Re: Vermont IS a nice place to retire! Date: 1/11/2012 8:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Vermonter:"How many people do you know who RETIRE with taxable income at $57,650 -- or who have taxable income "up to" $174,400? Not many people here in VT make that kind of money in RETIREMENT."

Oh, I'd bet a lot of folks here make $30,000-$40,000 easily. Heck, I retired early and my SS alone is over $20K. If I had waited till 66, it would be over 25K a year. If you had a couple who had both worked at good jobs, maybe they'd be raking in $50K in SS alone.

Then add in those with pensions. Heck, if I had stayed at GE, I'd probably be getting $50K/yr pension with 38 years of service.....but I didn't....I just get $4500 a year in a pension.

My nest egg spins off a nice amount of cash.

This year, with WArren Buffet raiding my LZ stock, I have $55K in cap gains and over $7500 in taxes to pay Uncle Sam.

Yeah, I'd be in that 6.8% Vermont tax bracket if I lived there....which is why I don't.

You can be out in the middle of nowhere in TX with no traffic. Doesn't take much. Hundreds of towns where you just live 2 miles outside of them, and avoid all the hassles. Live down in Hill COuntry - real nice.....

No state income taxes at all. Low real estate taxes for a modest house. Heck, get a goat on your couple acres and you're a ranch paying $100/yr in real estate taxes. That's what the rednecks do.

YOu can have VT.....9 months of winter, followed by 'mud month' followed by maybe two months of summer, then back into long cold winter. If you are lucky you have some sugar maples and can make some of your own maple syrup. Oh, you have two weeks of nice leaves before the skiers appear. And the snow mobiles roar.

Glad you like it. Not for me. Nice 60 deg day and sunny all day...beautiful. Did six loads of laundry. let the blue jeans dry outside in the sun.

Tonight the wind howls, the cold front moves through, it goes up to only 40 tomorrow....then by late Friday back to the 60s and sun and warm. I can deal with that.

I do like your long days in the summer time. You get an extra hour of daylight in June..... but winters..well, you get shortchanged.

t.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement