Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19021  
Subject: Re: Retirees Doing What? Date: 11/9/2013 8:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
vermonter:"What do YOU do in retirement?"

Well, I retired about 13 years ago..come December.....

The first three years I was on the road 1/3rd the time....trips to Europe...to see some museums and things I wanted to see in England....trips to Thailand...one for the north part of the country, another trip for the south part of the country. Then trips to HI and AK and Costa Rica (twice) and a major DX pedition effort to a remote Pacific Island. Also hit half a dozen Caribbean Islands with my friend Sue for 7-10 day trips.

My main hobbies are ham radio and accordion playing.

I went off to accordion camp twice (Button Box) up in the Sierras in CA for a week each time. there's the annual National Accordion convention held here in Dallas every year and we have monthly meetings (twice a month). I got involved with the World Button Accordion Association and was President for 3 years and on the board for five years. done with that for now.

The other main hobby is ham radio - and we have lots of county hunting activity many days a week. I've been in every county in the US with my ham radio and still keep going places. we have a national convention every year. Last year was in Deadwood, SD. Year before was in WA state. Next year in CA. I make it a 2-3 week trip. There are 'hamfests' all the time in various locations.

Went to Vietnam and used a 'rent a station' there to make lots of contacts. Same for Guadeloupe in the Caribbean. And one in Costa Rica.

This winter I might get back to HI to run the counties there again, and next summer it is off to Alaska again.

I eat out 3-5 times a week....Mon night is China Buffet. Wed night is turkey night at Chubby's Family restaurant. Thursday night is Lasagna night at Joe's Pasta and Pizza.... Sunday breakfast at Denny's while reading the big Dallas paper end to end.

In my spare time I write a monthly county hunting newsletter.

And I spend maybe 3 hours a day on the internet....some days less...some days more..depending what's going on ....

I go to the gym 2-3 times a week....it's only a 8 minute drive door to door....less if the light is green....

t
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

The American Energy Revolution
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement