Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: awiseowl Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 44390  
Subject: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 12:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Folks,

There's some talk on another board that TMF is doing more layoffs. Perhaps not by coincidence, I found the dreaded red "inactive profile" text here:

http://boards.fool.com/Profile.asp?uid=8098859

Any info? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

awiseowl

Print the post Back To Top
Author: MsVeeDub Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28593 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 12:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
I'm in no way speaking for TMF, but yep, it looks like 2.0.

Our TMF regulars will be back I can guarantee, but I just want them to know how much they're appreciated.

Former VW

Author: awiseowl Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28594 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 12:53 PM
Recommendations: 3
I'm in no way speaking for TMF...

The Gardners, however, are. There's a new Letter to the Community in the Fool Community area announcing the elimination of 45 more positions. (Sorry, I didn't copy the link.)

After the other layoffs, there was some talk of TMF starting to charge subscription fees. Has anyone at or close to the Fool heard any more about this? Geez, I'd quite willingly pay a couple of bucks per month to get as much as I do from this site.

VW's sentiment bears repeating: Fool staffers deserve high praise and accolades for the job they do- y'all have made life a little better for all of us who hang around here. Thanks to ya.

awiseowl
bummed out again

Author: cMozart Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28595 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 1:12 PM
Recommendations: 4
The Gardners, however, are. There's a new Letter to the Community in the Fool Community area announcing the elimination of 45 more positions. (Sorry, I didn't copy the link.)

http://www.fool.com/press/2001/letter010607.htm

I want to be at Murphy's. With all of them. But I can't. Not yet. So, here's a big hug to everyone there.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Celia

Author: catdaddy1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28596 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 1:25 PM
Recommendations: 8
Our TMF regulars will be back I can guarantee, but I just want them to know how much they're appreciated.

Along these lines, I'd like our most recent group of former TMFers to take a nice long look at the likes of VW, Jedi, Mozart, Chorizo, et.al. and keep in mind that not only does life go on, but you ARE still part of this community and we definately don't want to lose your part here.

I wish you the best.

catdaddy

Author: Snickmonsta Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28597 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 1:27 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hmmm.... someone give my brudder a hug for me. I notice his profile has changed...

Wish I could be there for him.. maybe a trip to DC is in order this weekend...?

Juli

Author: VodounGroove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28598 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 1:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
I want to be at Murphy's. With all of them. But I can't. Not yet. So, here's a big hug to everyone there.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I SECOND THAT!

Kaiti
*and third, for that matter*
*wishing I had more sick time so I could suddenly get a migraine*

Author: scotaku Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28599 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 1:30 PM
I don't understand... how is it that this company can be growing so rapidly and in such solid avenues and have to lay off so many people? Were the Fool publicly held, I'd seriously want to see their numbers.

The UK and Japan sites aren't even a year old and there -has- to be a need for new texts addressing the unique markets and vehicles those cultures abide in. And that's just the overseas stuff... the tax laws are changing here. Who will interpret them at the Fool? Am I totally off my nut? Did they really have three people filling the coffee pot and need to cut back so seemingly deep?

There's just got to be a reason... and I know Chorizo's argument but I can't see it all stemming from there.

- Sco

My deepest sympathy to you, Kelly. Please let it not have touched anyone else.

Author: DMBgal Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28600 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 1:53 PM

---

You don't know how hard it is to sit here at work only a block away from Murphy's. If I had more sick time, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

V

Author: catdaddy1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28601 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 2:01 PM
someone give my brudder a hug for me.

Juli, last time I did this, he almost punched me out. Of course, maybe that is because I kissed him too...

Joking aside, Tim is certainly on our minds right now. I hope everything works out for him.

cd

Author: GlasMenagerie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28602 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 2:10 PM
Recommendations: 49
Hey Folks. Yeah, 45 of us left today. Version 2 is not as large as its predecessor, but Murphy's tonight will be a solemn affair once again.

First: An apology for the length of this post.

Your sentiments are greatly and sincerely appreciated. My main faith is that things work out. As today, not always in the manner which you may hope, but things work out. With the right attitude, and with an eye open to the opportunities out there, things work out for the best.

My year at TMF was a grand affair. I was blissfully unaware of what I was getting myself into when I applied last February. With uncharacteristic glibness I had a lot of fun with my application. My personal statement bordered on absurd. When I realized the opportunity before me, I glommed on to it and have been fortunate enough to stay with it for 15 months.

TMF is a great company, and the concept behind it is even greater. To be a part of an organization founded so overtly on virtues such as honesty and self reliance has been a true pleasure. That the very founders are down-to-earth enough even now to play on the softball team or join their staff for impromptu games of paintball (the means by which I came to know Tom, and to a lesser extent David) helped to show to me that those virtues were more innate extensions of the founders as opposed to constructs in the name of "spin" or "marketability." I was privileged to be a part of the company and am happy that it exists.

Thanks to you all for your friendship and camaraderie within this forum. It will continue. I expressed the same sentiment earlier today to the more internal forums, and again, it will continue. What I can say is something I hope can be said for each of you. I was educated. I was certainly amused. I have been greatly enriched.

Cheers,
Tim Glas (GlasMenagerie)

Author: MsVeeDub Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28604 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 2:17 PM
I just came from Murphy's where, among others, I hugged our own Zafkiel. I also arranged for a good couple hours' worth of Guinni to come his way. A short-term yet beautifully effective way to soothe our philospher.

I suspect Tim is at VBC (unfortunately I did not have time to poke my head in there). Kelly's probably home by now, working on her next massage therapy client and taking everything in stride. Everybody seems to be taking things in stride...then gain, the afternoon is young.

Sigh.

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28605 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 2:21 PM
Recommendations: 6
Hugz to all of you. If you need me just call.

AC *Geez, what is it about Thursdays? :0(*

Author: Snickmonsta Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28606 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 2:40 PM
Juli, last time I did this, he almost punched me out. Of course, maybe that is because I kissed him too...

Well.. he was an english major you know...

Heh.. long story. Have him tell you that story after he's raised a few tonight.

He'll be fine, fabulous even. He always is... It's not I that kept winning the slots in Vegas.

Juli

Author: NeedAName Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28607 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 2:40 PM
Recommendations: 4

http://www.fool.com/press/2001/letter010607.htm

And thanks to the Gardners for being so prompt with the letter this time around. Much nicer than waiting and wondering through all the chaos without having any idea about their rationale.

-Scott

Author: scotaku Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28608 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 2:41 PM
Gotta take the Lady to the airport (BWI) at 7, but I'm there with you in spirit. Here's to an absense of reporters, but I'll hope Cindy is there just in case.

- Sco

Author: Burgshous Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 28618 of 44390
Subject: Re: Version 2.0?? Date: 6/7/2001 7:16 PM
There's a new Letter to the Community in the Fool Community area announcing the elimination of 45 more positions.

Damn! Not again!

This neighborhood just ain't what it used to be.

{{Hugz}} to all the TMF's, past and present, and good luck everyone.

Mike

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement