Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I would like to know what fellow Aurora shareholders think of Aurora's merger with Vertex.

I am underwhelmed with Vertex as a partner for Aurora. It's true that Vertex is philosophically committed to rapid drug development, and so might make a logical partner for a company like Aurora that has such awesome library-screening technology and wants to get into the drug-development action. But Aurora is a star in its field, and Vertex strikes me as a mediocre partner.

I also wonder whether the Vertex alliance will hamper Aurora's ability to work with other pharmaceutical and biotech partners, who may not want to entrust their data to a subsidiary of a competitor.

One potentially interesting explanation for the merger: Aurora may be so confident in the efficacy of its screening technology, and impatient with the slow pace of its contracts relative to that technology's potential, that it feels it _can't wait_ to get into the drug development action itself.

But I'm bummed that Vertex gets to have Aurora so cheap. Assuming I'm adding this up correctly, Aurora shareholders will have something like 20 percent of the shares in the new company, even though Aurora will provide about 75 percent of the merged company's revenue. I think Vertex is taking advantage of the fact that platform companies (like Aurora) are currently undervalued.

Aurora's shareholders, many of whom believed in the company's awesome growth potential and thus held on during the stock's stomach-churning drop, now see the company's low valuation frozen in by the terms of this merger into a larger company. That's a disappointment.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement