Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Edlbym One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121568  
Subject: Very basic Roth questions Date: 1/9/2010 6:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is a very basic Roth question which is probably answered online in scores of places but rather than try to google I thoughts I'd ask it here. Roth withdrawals, once you are of age, are untaxable. But how are they treated as part of the overall package? To make things simple, let's suppose one will withdraw $17k from Roth and $17k from taxable..for a total of 34k..now 34k would normally put you in the 25% bracket (I'm cheating since I haven't included deductibles etc..I'll address those separately so let's pretend 25% marginal applies to total income rather than to 'adjusted gross income') Would your 17k from the taxable fund be taxed at 25% marginally? At 15% marginally?

Second basic question, suppose one would like to pay 10% in federal tax..the current cut-off is $8,350...

Now adding the current exemption for 2010 of 3650 and 5700 for single one gets (ignoring or pretending there are no other source to adjust the figure with) a total of 17,700..so normally one can make 17,700 or less and pay 10% on one's adjusted gross..if one withdraws also from Roth is the Roth income not only untaxed but what we might call 'completely invisible'? So that if one takes 17,700 from taxable and another $x from Roth no matter the amount, one stays in the 10% bracket?

Thanks in advance for help with these two newbie Roth questions,
edlbym
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement