UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: path40a Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5806  
Subject: Re: Where would you live Date: 12/11/2002 7:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Very good post, I would add:

9. Excellent health care available and conveniently nearby

unless you intended on including this in your number 2. You can never underestimate this, IMNSHO. I've had two personal experiences which reinforce this. One is referred to in my TMF interview, the other involved my Dad who almost died of a heart attack in a suburb of Dallas only to be saved by (my brother who did CPR, his wife who called 911 and) an EMS team that was there in under 6 minutes.

With regards to Atlanta, I've lived here for 23 years now and can provide some additional information to your post. When you said:

Atlanta is one of the only (if not THE only) major metropolitan area where blacks outnumber whites

This is true if you are speaking of the city ONLY, not the Metropolitan area. Of course, if you include only the city, you could probably say that Detroit, Washington DC and other places are similarly populated. The city of Atlanta has less than 500,000 people whereas the metro area numbers more than 3,000,000 ("whites" far outnumber "blacks" in the suburbs). However, you are right in that Atlanta is very diverse including a large Asian population and a growing Hispanic community.

The cost of living is extremely reasonable ...

Yes, in fact I just paid $1.05/gallon to fill my car's tank because of the lowest state taxes on gasoline. However, you do NOT want to live in the City of Atlanta which has some of the highest city taxes in the the country.

If you're a sports fan, there are the Falcons and Braves and Hawks.

Don't forget Georgia Tech and the University of Georgia, especially in you like ACC basketball and/or SEC football.

The things I'll miss when I do move there are beaches, mountains

You would be only a five hour drive (or a shorter flight;-) from a beach on either the Atlantic ocean or the Gulf of Mexico - very nice. And, although I wouldn't recommend them for skiing, you are within 90 minutes from the Appalachian trail and mountains from almost anywhere you might live in the Atlanta area (perhaps 2 1/2 hours from the heart of the Smokies;-)

Atlanta's weather is very...blah. Not as bad as Dallas, TX, but pretty bad.

Unfortunately, the humidity in the Summer is one of our biggest liabilities (and the mosquitos!), though I'm from St. Louis originally and their summer's are far worse (ever been to a Cardinals game in August?).

Atlanta is also somewhat "Bible Belt"

Yes, and Ralph Reed (former head of the Christian Coalition) is the chairman of the Georgia Republican party which helped unseat Senator Max Cleland and instill the first Republican Governor here since the Civil War this past election day.

I love it here though, and I wouldn't change a thing. Hartfield International Airport is our greatest asset (if only the City of Atlanta would allow it to be privatized!).
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement