UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mikeg1382 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76395  
Subject: VGENX in an IRA Date: 4/26/2002 1:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have 30+ years 'till retirement, and right now all I have is the S&P 500 index fund in my Vanguard Roth. I wanted to get some type of growth fund in there, but I am not sure what. I was looking a little harder at VGENX, Vanguard's energy fund, which seems to me to be a good up-and-coming industry (as far as new energy sources are concerned) but I was wondering if anyone here holds that fund, and if they are happy with it. Also, any other advice or ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance,

Mike in NJ
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Brett257 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34391 of 76395
Subject: Re: VGENX in an IRA Date: 4/29/2002 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
You and my bro are very interested in that fund. But what he didn't realize is that VGENX is an admiral share that requires a $250,000 minimum initial investment. If you want something growth consider something small cap like NAESX or VISVX. Just something to think about.

Brett

Author: mikeg1382 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34392 of 76395
Subject: Re: VGENX in an IRA Date: 4/29/2002 1:29 PM
VGENX has admiral shares available for this fund that require a $250,000 initial investment, but they also have regular investor shares that only require $1000 initial investment in an IRA, or $3000 in a taxable account. You can go here to check it out, just scroll down the menu of funds 'till you see the Energy Fund under "Industry Specific Funds":

http://flagship4.vanguard.com/VGApp/hnw/FundsByFundType

Thanks for the info, though! I always appreciate any thoughts on the subject....

Mike in NJ

Author: WPatch Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34401 of 76395
Subject: Re: VGENX in an IRA Date: 4/30/2002 5:09 PM
The admiral share(with its high balance requirements has the ticker VGELX. VGENX is a normal Vanguard size fund(minimum $3,000, IRA minimum $1,000).

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement