UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Zafkiel Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 571  
Subject: Re: Predestination Date: 10/5/2001 6:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Via Bonhoeffer

God = Good.
Against God = Bad.

Humans have the choice (given us by God) to "choose God" or to "go against God."

God is not directly responsible for the bad things we do; He simply gave us a choice and we often choose to go against Him. Thus we are responsible for the "Bad."

When we "choose God," we are choosing "good." Since God defines and thus is the source of "goodness," He deserves credit for the "good."

Hang on. Foul. Illegal use of words without meaning.

You've defined the problem in to shadows not actually answered or solved it. It's all very nice to say that God=Good, if for whatever reason you choose to make that definition then you have to stop using either God or Good in their traditions meanings.

Upon seeing that statement I know I can use God to mean: 'Competent, skillful' (i.e. 'I'm a pretty God brewer.', 'He's a God Doctor', etc.) That is fine and all but the new definition God says nothing about supernatural creator deities.

In the same sentence you've arbitrarily decided that Against God means bad. (i.e. 'He was an against god boy, he needs to be punished', 'Being shot in the lung is against god'). Again that is fine but you've drained the meaning we normally associate with god from the term. You've turned the term into a value judgment about events.

For the purposes of discussion God can mean either a supernatural creator or good not both. To do otherwise is to hide the real meaning of what you are trying to say. In traditional English good may be used as part of description of God, but they are not synonymous.

It sounds to me you are trying to say that god's nature is good, and you define god's nature to be anything good. a=a doesn't really say much but you hide that simple equation behind words used in strange ways so that no one notices that you aren't saying anything.

--Zafkiel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement