Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PVFOOL Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Viatical Settlements Date: 7/18/1999 2:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone out there have any viatical settlements? 14% return relatively risk-free sounds too good to be true. What's wrong?

(OK. Viatical settlements are where you buy a life-insurance policy from someone who is dying and needs money now instead os waiting until they decease. When they pass on you are the beneficiary. Sounds strange at first, but I see it as helping someone who needs money while I make a satisfactory return on my investment.)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 662 of 19257
Subject: Re: Viatical Settlements Date: 7/18/1999 11:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
14% return relatively risk-free sounds too good to be true. What's wrong?

It's not risk free at all. With all the recent medical advances, such as AIDS treatments, etc., the sickly are not cooperating so well. They are living too long and then you will not get your "risk free" return. What if <gasp> they should miraculously recover and live to a ripe old age? You'd never collect on the policy.

Not only is it not risk free, IMHO, it's ghoulish and not Foolish.

Carol

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 663 of 19257
Subject: Re: Viatical Settlements Date: 7/19/1999 2:01 PM
Below is an explanation we ran in our weekly newspaper feature (for more info on how to get it in your local paper:
http://www.fool.com/Specials/1999/sp990409Newsprint.htm)

Selena

Q. What do you think of viaticals as investments?

A. Viatical settlements have grown in popularity in recent years. But they're not without risk and they may make some people uncomfortable.

Viatical settlements are when a terminally ill person sells his or her life insurance policy to someone else. Imagine John, stricken with a fatal form of cancer. He's 36 and is expected to live only three more years. If he needs cash to pay for medical bills or just to spend and enjoy, he might sell his life insurance policy to Jane. If it's set to pay $100,000 on his death, Jane might pay $66,000 for it. That way he gets a lot of cash now and Jane expects to get the $100,000 in about three years. At that rate, she'd be earning roughly a 15 percent annual return.

There are many risks, though. John may hang on for seven years, significantly reducing Jane's return. Indeed, a cure for his cancer might be discovered. John may even outlive Jane! It's true that these settlements can provide a service for sick people, but they're not necessarily win-win. The middlemen arranging these settlements take cuts. Also, if John lives, he's without his life insurance policy and few insurers will want to insure him, as he's been so sick recently.

We're uneasy about investing in something that has us rooting for speedy deaths and against medical breakthroughs. Also, there have been many instances of fraud with viaticals. For more info online, visit www.viatical-expert.net.

Author: Retired121 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671 of 19257
Subject: Re: Viatical Settlements Date: 7/26/1999 10:50 AM
In todays (July 26) Wall Street Journal there is an article stating that government regulators are investigating Viatical Settlements. They are focusing on two of the major companies who put these plans together. Just another piece of information on the subject.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement