UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: tipiper Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35367  
Subject: Re: tips pricing chart Date: 3/8/2009 10:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Vicki, Junkman, I chart tips data by hand, with a Sengbusch dip pen and Noddler's Ink in an Esterbrook inkwell. A dip pen is like a fountain pen but with no 'fountain', better than a Speedball type nib cause it has a feed. The feed holds enough ink so you can write six or seven sentences without re-dipping. Gold plated nib, so you can keep it in the inkwell without corrosion, and an iridium tip, which writes smoothly and does not wear down on paper.

All in all, the exact opposite of the computerized charts and data I use to follow my other stuff. I buy dip pen stuff as new old stock (1930s), on ebay, ten bucks for the pen, ten bucks for the inkwell. The ink is new stuff, Noodlers does not smear after it dries on paper (it mates with the cellulose instead of just drying). To write with pen and ink is graceful.

Tips are the only position I have that I can not instantly chart with my laptop. While I could 'strip' the daily principal changes from the fedsite, as Junkman said, this is not the price data I want to follow. I follow the market price to watch how the market prices tips as things change in other markets, bond currency commode markets stock and attitude markets.

The market priced tips in an 'off' way last year and I bought a bunch. Explained as a 'dump' move by owners (hedge funds?) who needed to sell them to raise cash, the 'mispricing' was off enough to bring it to the attention of this site, and to Metar, and I looked, and bought at a price which has since grown by ten percent (unrealized capital gain).

I can study stuff without owning it, but without ownership I miss something in the study, so, since I did not understand this 'miss' in tips pricing, I bought a bunch. In fact, I did not understand tips at all, and in my education I found out that many do not understand tips.

I now understand some of the mechanics of tips, but I still do not understand the market pricing of tips, this is my continued interest (an unintended pun!).

If my tips positions drop back in price I will look to sell. If not, I'll keep collecting the coupon dividends on the changing principals. Or not. In this market I'm just a trader with undefined time horizons, I've held for part of a day, weeks, months, I've held for years.

Ti (was no-bonds and all commodes and ags, got out without too much of burn, now mostly tips and MMF with a bit of uranium natgas crude miners and gold-silver)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement