UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189601  
Subject: Video call help Date: 1/1/2013 2:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DW got a Logitech camera and I installed it and it works using Logitech's own connection software which they call Logitech Vid. DW was able to take a guitar lesson using this setup. But it was slow and choppy with a bunch of lags. So she installed Google Voice and Video in the hope of getting a better connection. But it doesn't seem to be working.

When we open the Logitech Webcam Software window, it shows Logitech Vid and Windows Live Messenger as choices for making video calls, and now the Google icon is present as well, labeled as Gmail. When we click on the other two icons, windows pop up for initiating calls. When we click on the Google icon, it goes to gmail instead of Google's video application.

Is there a step we missed in installing the Google Voice and Video or something else we have to do to get functionality?

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183196 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/1/2013 2:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Try SKYPE, but I'd bet the problem is the connection at one end or the other.

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183198 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/1/2013 2:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
Check your bandwidth. SpeedTest.net Compare the results with what Logitech says is needed.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183214 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/1/2013 9:56 PM
Check your bandwidth. SpeedTest.net Compare the results with what Logitech says is needed.

I just did that. It shows 29.37 Mbps downloading and 4.74 uploading. I don't know if that's good or not (we have Comcast's allegedly fast internet as part of our bundle). The directions that came with the camera don't specify a minimum bandwidth. I'll have to search online for that later when I feel like it.

And we just installed Skype.

And I uninstalled Google video and reinstalled it myself in case DW had made a mistake. Nope. Both times it put a Gmail button in the Logitech window, a button that links to gmail, not to video. Buncha bastards.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--fleg

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183215 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/1/2013 10:26 PM
So how did Skype work out?

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183223 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/2/2013 2:28 AM
So how did Skype work out?

She didn't actually made a video call yet but was able to easily add her guitar teacher as a contact. Lesson is tomorrow so we'll find out soon enough.

--fleg

Author: ukgold Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183237 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/3/2013 4:21 AM
so all she needs now is to be able to play "Smoke on the water" & "Stairway to heaven" & maybe "Layla" & a little "Santana" then just roll on the good times... have fun

Alan

Author: chasb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183246 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/5/2013 7:18 PM
Don't forget Lynrd Skynrd's Free Bird. There's a workout!

Charlie Brown

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183247 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/5/2013 8:37 PM
"Don't forget Lynrd Skynrd's Free Bird."

I got to seem them at Winterland in the 70s and Free Bird was on the menu :-)

I seem to recall a strange aroma in the air...

Take care,

Ken

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183252 of 189601
Subject: Re: Video call help Date: 1/6/2013 2:27 PM
"I got to seem them at Winterland in the 70s and Free Bird was on the menu :-)
I seem to recall a strange aroma in the air..."

Saw em this last May at the Indy 500 on carb day - the strange (expected) aroma was in the air & stranger people enjoying the retro showing. As for the music - note for note was there but not quite the same wow as whe I was a kid in late 70's and finding it then had a novel anthemic appeal - yes, is clearly cliche' hasbeen rocker fare for nearly 3 decades. Confession: for my own amusement I still intentioanlly play Stairway' in music stores when trying out an axe/amp - I love beating a good joke to death.

As for the OP's problem - the camera I rec'd had inherent H.264 compression to take load off the local system bandwidth need. I still think that, esp when using applications on each end that work with H.264, worth a few more bucks for smoother real time performance.
B

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement