Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Virtually everything I've seen indicates you can fund it up through the tax filing deadline (i.e. 4/15/2008 for the 2007 tax year). I haven't seen anything "official" in an IRS document, though.

It may not be feasible in your case (and it's pretty late in the year for it now), but anyone who can fund their HSA through pre-tax deductions in a qualified Section 125 cafeteria plan can avoid paying Social Security and Medicare taxes on their HSA contribution by having the contributions withheld from the paycheck (i.e. those taxes will not be withheld for the amount contributed). Any out-of-pocket funding you make outside of such a qualified pre-tax payroll deduction will allow you to eventually exclude the contribution amount from your 1040 taxable income, but you will have to pay it with money that has already been taxed for the 7.65% you pay to Social Security and Medicare.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.