UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883676  
Subject: Re: Poll: cataract surgery now or after age 65? Date: 10/9/2012 9:38 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Vision is priceless. At least do the bad eye now. Especially if you intend to keep driving.

Yes, BUT. My vision isn't that bad. And I drive only a few thousand miles a year, about a third as much as the average person, including summer driving of a couple thousand miles (we tow my car on RV trips)--and my eyes will be fixed by next trip. The attitude among the ophthalmologist's staff seems more, "of course you want to be free of your glasses!" (um, no, I like my glasses), and when I scheduled the surgery, "aren't you excited?!" Er, no. I'm scared. It's surgery, for goodness sake, lasers cutting on my eyeball and a hunk of plastic being inserted--not to mention that I'll be numbed and sedated, not put to sleep :-( No, I am most definitely not excited. But I hope I will be afterwards.

The only thing I notice that's different when I drive lately is that I can't read signs from as far away--it isn't like I don't see stop signs or traffic lights or cars on the road. I just can't read small print on signs, and all print is small from far enough away. But that doesn't stop me from seeing and reacting to a red octagonal sign or traffic light from just as far away. When driving somewhere unfamiliar, I just need to be a little closer to street signs and exit numbers/names to read them. Not a problem--as of today, I'm not going anywhere unfamiliar, and I'm able to avoid rush hour as a retiree anyway. Not to mention that DH doesn't need to go more than about 1/4 mile out of his way on the way home from work to stop at any of our usual stores should my eye get worse before surgery. I don't really need to drive at all outside of driving to may favorite walking places (the beach and county park, about 10 minutes each way) and to appointments (which are slowing down following a spate of medical, dental, and vision apptmts). I do have house guests coming soon that I will drive around, but just to my usual stomping grounds, and they will be here only 4 days--and I'm sure would be willing to drive if necessary.

PS-- Reading is still perfect online--OK, so I magnify TMF 3 times and brighten the screen--but then it's perfect. I've always magnified it 2 times till recently anyhow.

Reading paper can be a problem because the lettering can be too small for me, but my husband has always been able to read finer print as well as see greater distances and see much better in dim light, whereas I can discriminate colors much better.

We stopped subscribing to paper magazines and newspapers several years ago as a money-saving measure and both read them online now anyway. Since I got an iPad, I've switched almost entirely to reading books online. When necessary--maybe once or twice a month, I ask my husband to read something to me. None of this is a big deal--I don't feel like I have a severe vision problem, and neither did the ophthalmologist.

I've worn glasses for 23 years and have no problem with it other than occasional sore marks on the sides of my nose. The first thing I do when I wake up is put on my glasses, likewise the last thing I do when I go to sleep. I've never hated wearing glasses and am not excited by being able to do without them--just want to fix the cataract-caused blind spot on the inner side of my left eye, and fixing the astigmatism and distance vision is a nice plus (for which I will pay). I've always enjoyed picking out new frames every couple of years, just hate the expense--with my astigmatism, prismatic correction and "tri"-focals, my lenses are pricy even though the prescription isn't that strong (doesn't help that I tend to prefer pricier, lighter-weight frames with flexible hinges-). I will be able to switch to cheap drugstore reading glasses when both eyes are done. heh--I wonder how long I'll have to live to reach break-even on the expense of the surgery against the cost of new annual lenses and biennial frames ;-)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (36) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement