UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 737225  
Subject: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 11:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1QGIv5/www.gillesvidal.com/blo...

Not Paris, Texas. I just saved you a bunch of money for airfare and hotel accomodations. You're welcome.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533345 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 11:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Wow, you guys really owe me now, i may have saved you from extreme violence too:

http://no-pasaran.blogspot.com/2010/10/precisely-because-of-...

It would seem that the new generation of gangsters in the Lyon area have not heard that violence only occurs in America (aka the land of the nutty gun-lovers). Indeed, the — very young — criminals, who seem to come from la banlieue and who seem to base their attacks on the video games that they play, writes Richard Schittly in Le Monde, are multiplying hold-ups with an extreme violence. It is precisely for that reason, we learn, moreover, that the police will not intervene during the hold-up of a bank or a jewelry shop.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533357 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 12:35 PM
Recommendations: 0
Richard Schittly ? How'd you get that past the TMF censors?

arrete

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533388 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 4:25 PM
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1QGIv5/www.gillesvidal.com/blo......

Not Paris, Texas. I just saved you a bunch of money for airfare and hotel accomodations. You're welcome. - 2828

I wish it was Paris, Texas. It would be a whole lot more interesting to me.

I hate big cities and Paris just looks like another big city to me. Like a big nasty infection upon the land.

Artie

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533392 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 4:40 PM
Recommendations: 2

I hate big cities and Paris just looks like another big city to me. Like a big nasty infection upon the land.

Artie
-----------------------------------------------
Wow, that's exactly the way i feel. When i go to Italy i would much rather stay in the mountains where my dad grew up than go to cities like Florence and Rome, i don't know why it just doesn't really appeal to me all that much. Big cities in general are a turn-off for me, i'm a country mouse.

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533395 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 4:48 PM

There's also a small Texas town called Palestine as well. Well, not too many rocket launchers there. But plenty of shotguns and pickup trucks, though. ;-)

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533397 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 6:55 PM
There's also a small Texas town called Palestine as well. Well, not too many rocket launchers there. But plenty of shotguns and pickup trucks, though.

Even better, Palestine (pronounced Pal-es-steen) is one of the terminals of the Texas State Railroad, which operates as a tourist line these days. A fun day outing from Houston or DFW.

http://www.texasstaterr.com/

G.F.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533401 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 7:26 PM
Even better, Palestine (pronounced Pal-es-steen) is one of the terminals of the Texas State Railroad, which operates as a tourist line these days. A fun day outing from Houston or DFW.

http://www.texasstaterr.com/

G.F.

-----------------------

Way to go GF. I was going to post the same thing. So let me add the the other end of the Texas state railroad is at Rusk. I stayed at the campground in Rusk and we road the steam train on its 60 miles round trip to Palestine and back. Very nostalgic. The windows in the passenger car slid down and you could stick you arms out. You could feel the the cinders from the engine pelting you.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533408 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 8:43 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Wow, that's exactly the way i feel. When i go to Italy i would much rather stay in the mountains where my dad grew up than go to cities like Florence and Rome, i don't know why it just doesn't really appeal to me all that much. Big cities in general are a turn-off for me, i'm a country mouse." - 2828
---------------------

I had a meeting for a week one time in Denver, Colorado. The highlight of the trip was we took Wednesday off and a group of us rented a car and drove to Estes Park, Coloradao which is this beautiful wilderness area. We saw Elk and mountain sheep just walking around. It really was spectacular. I enjoyed that way more than staying in the city of Denver.

Here's a picture:

http://www.rockymtnrefl.com/tworiverslake.jpg

We also drove through Golden, Colorado and toured the Coors Brewery on the way to Estes Park which was also kind of interesting.

Art

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533411 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 8:50 PM
"There's also a small Texas town called Palestine as well. Well, not too many rocket launchers there. But plenty of shotguns and pickup trucks, though. ;-)" - AOLFoolman

The little Texas town that Ziggy#29 lives in sounds interesting to me. I think I'd like the Texas hill country except for the relentless heat in the summer, although we had a pretty brutal summer here in middle Tennessee this year. I'm a fan of small towns. A place where people know each other. I long ago lost any interest in large cities at all and I've lived in both Los Angeles, California and Atlanta, Georgia. I have no interest in going to Europe at all. I'd a whole lot rather re-visit the California redwoods and the coastal areas of Oregon and hunt for gooey-duck clams.

Artie

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533414 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/9/2010 9:11 PM
They sure could have picked a better day for that video.

I did visit Paris - in France - once...courtesy of a vendor trying to sell my company lots of stuff.

Got to go up the Eiffel Tower.....and enjoy the view......took nice dinner cruise on the Seine......past Notre Dame and other landmarks.....saw the palace at Versaille......ate at expensive restaurant....pigged out on seafood of all sorts.... (I'd bet they dropped $800 for dinner for 8 - I didn't drink the wine, the rest did).....

Met with French engineers who smoked like chimneys..everyone seems to smoke in Europe and the horrible cigs, too.

Rode a Paris subway. Got stuck in Paris traffic.....

Bugged out..stopped at the island of Jersey on the way to England. Got passport stamped.....then went on to merry olde England.....

Fun trip...about 9 days total......company/vendor paid for it all other than souvenirs.

....that was one of the few perks I got.....while working. Usually trips were to exciting places like Washington DC for day and a half, where you didn't have more than 2 hours free time the whole trip. And you spent a lot of your own time traveling - 18 hour days.

Oh...music.....good accordion tune...played in 'musette'....Under Paris Skies....

t

Author: AOLFoolman100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533423 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 1:15 AM
They sure could have picked a better day for that video.

I did visit Paris - in France - once...courtesy of a vendor trying to sell my company lots of stuff.

Got to go up the Eiffel Tower.....and enjoy the view......took nice dinner cruise on the Seine......past Notre Dame and other landmarks.....saw the palace at Versaille......ate at expensive restaurant....pigged out on seafood of all sorts.... (I'd bet they dropped $800 for dinner for 8 - I didn't drink the wine, the rest did).....

I visited Paris almost 5 years ago (also Barcelona and Rome), which I posted about here on this board. Yeah, guys....that's how long (actually longer) I've been posting here. My god, you guys on this board are almost like my childhood buddies.

2828 I think remember the hairy French chick I swam with in the Seine River, right by the Notre Dame Cathedral. <g>

I remember how 2828 and maybe even Fleg gave me hell for liking Paris so much. LOL.

Sorry, I call them as I see them. I really liked Barcelona as well (Rome was the sh*ts.....other than historical curiosity).

London was really cool too...but that was more like 10 years ago.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533452 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 1:52 PM
The highlight of the trip was we took Wednesday off and a group of us rented a car and drove to Estes Park, Coloradao which is this beautiful wilderness area.
------------

Hey Art. When DH came back from SEA after being gone for a year, we went to Estes Park by ourselves (no kids!) and it was absolutely wonderful. It was just what he needed.

arrete

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533471 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 5:02 PM
Recommendations: 5
"Hey Art. When DH came back from SEA after being gone for a year, we went to Estes Park by ourselves (no kids!) and it was absolutely wonderful. It was just what he needed." - arrete

And when you did decide to have kids you could afford them and retire early too. You weren't working at a pizza parlor and talking about having retiring early and having kids I'm betting.

That's all I'm saying. I'm irritated. I can't believe Wolverine's post got 7 rec's and mine got none and here's this kid that can barely afford to support himself and he's talking about retiring early and having kids and he's working at a pizza parlor.

Ya'll talk about being libertarians and how people should be able to afford to take care of themselves before making babies and you're encouraging this kid to have children and he doesn't have a pot to pee in and he's saying he wants to retire early.

Rather illogical isn't it. Putting the cart before the horse. Before he talks about having children he should have a good high paying job first and then he can start daydreaming about both retiring early and having children.

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533472 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 5:25 PM
Two months ago, I decided to head to the mountains of COLO.

SPent 3 days down in Durango...then moved up to Frisco, CO...and took the loop through Rocky Mountain National Park. Nice...even nicer with a Senior Pass that lets you in free to all the parks!......

Just a bit of snow left in the shade up at 13000 feet.

Had fun...was chilly in the mornings but delightful during the day. That was end of August....or was it Sept? I forget...

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533474 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 5:41 PM
"
Rather illogical isn't it. Putting the cart before the horse. Before he talks about having children he should have a good high paying job first and then he can start daydreaming about both retiring early and having children. "

He might be a 'reformed' muslim, but his wife will probably have family pressure to have 4 or 5 or 7 kids.......in Canada, the health care is mostly free..but those kids will eat a lot of food....and go through lots of kiddie stuff fom diapers to furniture.....

His wife might not be a frugal as he is, and 3 or 5 in a family won't fit in a $400 apartment.

He never mentioned utilities. No cellphone? NO internet? NO telephone? no cable? No iPhone?

Somehow, this just doesn't seem like it is going to work on $2k/month income for long.

And that car lease is going to expire, then what? BUy newer car? or used car? Cash down?

I didn't see any car maintenance in there either. Or furniture budget.....or gifts for family and wife......

Or money set aside for a wedding......and honeymoon...and of course, wedding ring....

t.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533487 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 7:29 PM
Recommendations: 3
That's all I'm saying. I'm irritated. I can't believe Wolverine's post got 7 rec's and mine got none and here's this kid that can barely afford to support himself and he's talking about retiring early and having kids and he's working at a pizza parlor.
-------------------------------------------------------------
......and then it dawned on him, duality was an inescapable quality of the universe <g>.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533494 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 7:57 PM
what the heck post is artimus referring to? i know i've been gone all day but give me a clue...please. :)

LD

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533495 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 8:05 PM
never mind i did find it......

the newb's expectations sound fantastical, is that a word? The Edward Jones broker is a sure sign of trouble and high fees, sharia law adds more complications......all i can say is good luck and god bless, you'll find your way, just keep searching and working hard.

LD

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 533503 of 737225
Subject: Re: Visit Paris Date: 10/10/2010 8:36 PM
"......and then it dawned on him, duality was an inescapable quality of the universe <g>." - 2828

Duality and separation. It's the separation that's the important lesson. Can't learn it there so it has to be learned here. It's a holographic universe thing. The laws of physics on the other side are very different from this side.

"If this doesn’t blow your socks off, then Hogan, who has just been appointed director of Fermilab’s Center for Particle Astrophysics, has an even bigger shock in store: ‘If the GEO600 result is what I suspect it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram.’"

http://blogs.monografias.com/sistema-limbico-neurociencias/2...

Artie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement