UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14985  
Subject: Vitamin D and depression Date: 9/1/2012 9:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This week my husband and I had our physicals. We've both been feelin kinda down amd it turns out our vitamin D levels are very low. NOrmal range is 30-80, and mine was 30, hubs was 31...last year, we were 31 and 32. We get outside, often without sunblock, and take over 2,000 IU of D per day. Doc says some people are resistant to it(?).

Anyway, two of the symptoms of D deficiency are fatigue and depression. My huband used to be one of those irrationally optimistic people, and is no longer. I was more neutral on the optimism/pessimism spectrum, but am more down now. Perhaps this is why. Aging doesn't help either, apparently most seniors are deficient in D--many younger folk, too. Anyway, we're moving up to 5,000 IU supplement/day. I hope-hope-hope it helps us both!

My cholesterol isn't so hot, although it's been improving every year lately, and my blood sugar is rising--not to the type II diabetes point, but high enough to take diet and exercise measures. I already eat a lot of vegetables, but will have to reduce the carbs...no more popcorn evenings or chippy afternoons. More crustless quiche breakfasts, less cereal, toast, pancakes. I think I've been self-medicating with carbs.

In better news, everything else was good. I thought I must've put 10 lbs back on after losing 35 in 2011, but I had put on only 2 lbs. Less guilt/easier to get back on track! And that's another thing...moving from the Plus dept to regular women's XL and L should've had me doing Happy Dances, not feeling low.

Anyway, those of you who are or think you might be clinicly depressed, please consider getting your blood tested for Vitamin D, or even just start taking vitamin D. Be sure it's D3, not D2--D3 is absorbed better and high doses are far less likely to lead to toxicity. Also, someone on the Health & Nutrition board said that D is absorbed better from softgels than tablets/capsules.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement