UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 15005  
Subject: Vitamin D and depression Date: 9/1/2012 9:26 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This week my husband and I had our physicals. We've both been feelin kinda down amd it turns out our vitamin D levels are very low. NOrmal range is 30-80, and mine was 30, hubs was 31...last year, we were 31 and 32. We get outside, often without sunblock, and take over 2,000 IU of D per day. Doc says some people are resistant to it(?).

Anyway, two of the symptoms of D deficiency are fatigue and depression. My huband used to be one of those irrationally optimistic people, and is no longer. I was more neutral on the optimism/pessimism spectrum, but am more down now. Perhaps this is why. Aging doesn't help either, apparently most seniors are deficient in D--many younger folk, too. Anyway, we're moving up to 5,000 IU supplement/day. I hope-hope-hope it helps us both!

My cholesterol isn't so hot, although it's been improving every year lately, and my blood sugar is rising--not to the type II diabetes point, but high enough to take diet and exercise measures. I already eat a lot of vegetables, but will have to reduce the carbs...no more popcorn evenings or chippy afternoons. More crustless quiche breakfasts, less cereal, toast, pancakes. I think I've been self-medicating with carbs.

In better news, everything else was good. I thought I must've put 10 lbs back on after losing 35 in 2011, but I had put on only 2 lbs. Less guilt/easier to get back on track! And that's another thing...moving from the Plus dept to regular women's XL and L should've had me doing Happy Dances, not feeling low.

Anyway, those of you who are or think you might be clinicly depressed, please consider getting your blood tested for Vitamin D, or even just start taking vitamin D. Be sure it's D3, not D2--D3 is absorbed better and high doses are far less likely to lead to toxicity. Also, someone on the Health & Nutrition board said that D is absorbed better from softgels than tablets/capsules.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14881 of 15005
Subject: Re: Vitamin D and depression Date: 9/13/2012 9:37 AM
Recommendations: 1
NOrmal range is 30-80, and mine was 30, hubs was 31...

a few months ago mine was 22 (have not yet had a retest)

we're moving up to 5,000 IU supplement/day...D3 is absorbed better and high doses are far less likely to lead to toxicity... D is absorbed better from softgels than tablets/capsules.

Most of any supplement is delivery mechanism/filler (the pill, the capsule, the oil) there are some liquid versions - where 1 drop =2000 IU

this makes it not only easy to digest/absorb but significantly reduces the cost-per-dose.

peace & my 2 cents
t

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14882 of 15005
Subject: Re: Vitamin D and depression Date: 9/13/2012 10:57 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thanks for your info.

a few months ago mine was 22

Do you mind sharing if you experienced symptoms of D deficiency or was this a surprise discovered during a routine physical?

(have not yet had a retest)
liquid...makes it not only easy to digest/absorb but significantly reduces the cost-per-dose.

Please post about your retest here--I'd like to know if your regimen raises your D level. What brand of liquid D are you taking, and is it prescription or OTC?

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14883 of 15005
Subject: Re: Vitamin D and depression Date: 9/13/2012 3:01 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hard to say if I had symptoms or not. (long scrolly answer follows)

I am tired A LOT.
Have been for years
but I also spend (on average) 16 hours a week on airplanes.
WHen I am not spending hat much time on a plane, I am often on a 6 hour time zone difference (from home) in 2-4 week rotations.
I also work 10-14 hours a day (which is another issue)
I don't eat properly - due to work/travel/bad habits - too much crunch & water (celery, lettuce, etc) not enough protein...

Until quite recently, aside from riding my bike to work & walking dogs, I don't exercise or spend enough time in the sun.
I live in New England (when i am home) and the sun there is less than intense.
Roll it all together and i was pretty sure I was deficient, just did not know how much of my general fatigue was related to the D.

I was not tested during a physical, but had a whole battery of tests done - Vitamin/mineral/thyroid/bloodwork... partly due to just fatigue and partly to have a baseline.

WHen I retest I will post results (since you asked)
the D3 I take is OTC - and it is this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003800UXG/ref=oh_details_o...
but there are plenty of others in this form if you google around.
Because of the aforementioned travel, this is a good compact method for transporting as well.

I should be taking an iron supplement as well, but am not.

I will also take a moment to throw out a plug for HealthCheckUsa.com
A low cost testing center for pretty much anything, no prescription needed and your results come to YOU in email. You can have then also sent to a doctor, but having your own results is good for research.

peace & D3
t

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement