Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Even if you started a non-profit as you describe, deposit the stock into the new account and then sell. Your non-profit will now owe gains taxes and I do not think that this is what you are trying to accomplish because the non-profit will now have less money to give out to the charities, plus taxes to pay. And, in some states you will still owe franchise taxes....and the inevitable IRS will want their share too unless you can qualify as a 501(c) organization.

It is better all around to get the certificates issued to you and you pass them on to the charity of your choice. Even then, only charities that qualify as 501(c) entities can give you the tax benefit you are looking for.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.