UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Fedvarian70 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 12880  
Subject: Volcanos and other Natural Disasters Date: 2/28/2000 2:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
It seems the previous post, Dogs of the NOW, has generated some Massive spewing and rumbling. Also given the defensive nature of the TMF response and we might just have a new mountain where none existed before! But steping back and looking at the posts - is it really a mountain, a molehill, a crack in the ground, or a mirage? Will it grow, shrink, or just fade away? This wanderer has a few comments of his own to share...

It seems the raw nerve that has got everyone so, well, hot headed is the proposed selling of premium research. With the well documented firebombs to the Wise, it seems just a bit on the hypicritical side. The MAJOR difference, the difference that all in this wonderful kingdom seem to be missing, is that the Wise TELL you what to think and the Fools, well, don't.

I think that point is so important that I'm going to state it again:

The MAJOR difference is that the Wise TELL you what to think and the Fools don't.

Fools only present you with information and knowledge. TMF Brothers have gone way out of the main stream path to interject humor, fun, and a bit of ego bursting darts at those who would claim to possess more smarts than you - our faithful wanderers. The Wise want you to believe you CAN NOT invest without them. The Wise spend more time (and therefore money!) selling you ignorance and hocus-pocus than actual, hard, fun, intense, humourous, serious, and wacky information so that you can thrive, THRIVE!!!!! in the investment world.

Lords and Ladies of the Foolsih Kingdom.... what again was the problem? Where have we seen in this format or in any other a TMF subject TELL us what to purchase, what to sell, what to hold and WHAT TO THINK?!?! Indeed, if you read carefully, most of the commentary is punching holes in the inflated egos of those Wise induhviduals (sorry Dilbert). TMF portfolios have done well, done poorly, done just about everything else in between. They are running experiments. Lab work. Tests of the Greater Theory that you as an individual investor can outperform EVERY MONEY MANAGER, INCLUDING TMF, using your brain and your heart and your soul to choose what will be right for you.

How is this any kinda volcano? From whence doth the hot lava of rhetoric come from? TMF's decision to charge for additional research and analysis for individual companies? How can this be compared to the Wise? Where does the cynical, "You can't POSSIBLY succeed with out this vital information, HAHAHA!" message lie in this format or any other? How is it Wise?

I feel the mountain is really just a brief crack under the feet of those who believe that Everything the Brothers know and possess should be free. There is enough information to allow newbies, like myself, to focus on our goals and needs. There is enough attention to nuture our trampled intellect back to health, (run over by those Wise ones who need us down to survive). If, after mastering and thriving on the basics you want to receive further instruction in this school of Fools - well - the Brothers decided.

TMF - thank you for providing this format. Thank you for showing us that humor and fun are necessary ingrediants for success. Thank you for allowing critism and commentary on YOUR space for yourself and others. Thank you for the wisdom to allow all of us brief wanderes to become - FOOLS!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Princes One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4081 of 12880
Subject: Re: Volcanos and other Natural Disasters Date: 2/28/2000 2:48 PM
Recommendations: 0
I would have never invested a dime in the market if I had not had a forum like this to begin. I always felt imtimidated by what I didn't know.

I had always let someone else manage my money and I now feel empowered by all I have learned' both here and from all of the individuals I have corresponded with over the past few months.

I was and still am grateful to have somewhere I can ask a question and not feel stupid or get ostracized for it.

I don't have a problem with anyone making money. I see way too many people come here and buy stock based on what they read on a message board, rather than doing their own DD. I am encouraged that the research is available for those individuals. I prefer to do my own.

I am sorry to see people so bitter over this. Don't sweat the small stuff, it really isn't worth it. In the scheme of things, this really isn't that big a deal.

Fool on everyone.....

Author: JJinLA Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4082 of 12880
Subject: Re: Volcanos and other Natural Disasters Date: 2/28/2000 4:10 PM
Recommendations: 17
Massive spewing and rumbling

Indeed.

The MAJOR difference is that the Wise TELL you what to think and the Fools don't.

In your zeal to laud the Brothers Gardner, you seem to have missed the whole point of the original post. That selling "premium research" comes perilously close to replicating the methods of the "Wise" which the Fool has built its reputation derogating. The label "premium" implies that the research has value and content beyond that which the individual can create for him or herself. There was a time when the Fool mocked the entire concept -- telling you which stock you ought to buy, for a price -- which the very scheme embodies. There is a contradiction in embracing the disparaged methods of your competitors, and from the point of view of the writer -- an appreciative and long-time Fool -- a contradiction which the Fool ought not to embrace.

The original post did not denigrate the efforts of the Fool or the Gardners to encourage others to do so. The question isn't really who loves the Fool the most -- you can declare yourself the winner -- but does the new direction the Fool is taking undermine the community that their innovative approach and contrarian marketing plan has fostered?

Author: Fedvarian70 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4093 of 12880
Subject: Re: Volcanos and other Natural Disasters Date: 2/29/2000 9:11 AM
Recommendations: 0
There is a contradiction in embracing the disparaged methods of your competitors, and from the point of view of the writer -- an appreciative and long-time Fool -- a contradiction which the Fool ought not to embrace.

The methods, as you so carefully point out in your second sentance, are "perilously close" to the Wise. But are they? Really?

The offering of the "premium research" I feel is misunderstood. The Wise might, again I say, MIGHT also sell you that research, but most likely wouldn't. Why put in the hands of the investor, the same investor you are trying so diligently to convince CAN NOT invest with out the Wisdom of the Wise, the tools allowing the investor the clarity to see that you Don't need the Wise? The Wise sell ignorance. The Wise sell insecurity. The Wise sell games and mirrors to get you to hand over the keys to your future, (at handsome commissions).

The label "premium" implies that the research has value and content beyond that which the individual can create for him or herself

I disagree entirely!. Perhaps the value is in the lenght of time required to acquire that very research, time some of those Fools traversing this broad Earth do not possess. Research does not in any way: [tell] you which stock you ought to buy, for a price. It is simply another piece, granted a large piece, of the great puzzle each individual must put together to come to the decision point, yea or nea.

If some of the Fools find value in ADDITIONAL tools, then by all means, place value on it. Basic Economics 100. The Brothers charge for the seminars. They charge for their books. They now charge for "premium research". If they weren't "perilously close" before, charging for the others, they shouldn't be considered so now.

Indeed, everyone has a comfortable level from whence trust wells up. And this new product seems to strike within that space, enough to rumble. The innovative approach hasn't changed. My brief travels in this kingdom have enlightened me into my own abilities. No Wise one ever tried to foster and nurture that. Indeed, NO ONE at the Fool will benefit one cent from any investment decision I make. No Wise ever took on that contrarian marketing plan.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement