Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: chrisbridges Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124933  
Subject: Voluntary Separation and 401K? Date: 1/4/2008 11:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

I monitor this board almost daily, but have not posted until now. My husband accepted a voluntary separation arrangement (an "early-out") with his employer last January. Under the terms of the agreement he was to cease active employment but would be considered an "employee-consultant" for the next two years. As an "employee-consultant" he would be eligible to continue participating in the employer's 401K plan, "to the extent permitted by applicable law and regulation." The other day we were notified that his 2008 contributions to the plan, both regular and catch-up, had been zeroed out. When he called HR to ask why, he was told that "the IRS had changed the rules."

Does anyone know of a recent IRS ruling that might be applicable to the situation I have described? Thanks!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.