Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SirTas Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: Volunteer work Date: 11/8/2005 9:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm not retired yet, but I plan to be retired within 8 years. I was thinking about doing some sort of volunteer work in retirement. What sort of national or international organizations organize that?

I seem to remember reading about a person Who did volunteer work overseas for part of the year and lived here in the US for part of the year. Is that right? Is it possible?

Is there something like VISTA or the Peace Corps. for retirees?

--SirTas

Print the post Back To Top
Author: jtmitch Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10198 of 19380
Subject: Re: Volunteer work Date: 11/8/2005 9:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm not retired yet, but I plan to be retired within 8 years. I was thinking about doing some sort of volunteer work in retirement. What sort of national or international organizations organize that?

Two organizations that serve as "clearing houses" for retired volunteers are:

- RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program). I think they are located in many communities; I first heard about them when I recently moved to VT.
- ILVC (Ignatian Lay Volunteer Corps). This would not be for everybody. Volunteer opportunities are focused strictly on the poor and the organization (but not necessarily the volunteer jobs) has a heaviy religious (i.e., Catholic/Jesuit) flavor.

In both cases, the organizations maintain lists of volunteer opportunities and put you in touch with the (mostly nonprofit) organizations who have them.

Hope this helps get you started.

jtmitch

Author: TangoDude One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10199 of 19380
Subject: Re: Volunteer work Date: 11/8/2005 9:40 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm a former Peace Corps Volunteer. I went through part of my training with a retired couple in their sixties. A long time after returning home I met a another retired couple who had done two stints with the Peace Corps and later did a third when they were around 70. As far as I know, if you are qualified for the job and are healthy, you will be accepted. Perhaps the most well known "older" retired volunteer was Jimmy Carter's mother Lillian.

Give it a try if it seems to fit. It was a very rich experience for me.

TD

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10200 of 19380
Subject: Re: Volunteer work Date: 11/8/2005 10:13 PM
I was thinking about doing some sort of volunteer work in retirement. What sort of national or international organizations organize that?

If you've been involved in entrepreneurship at all, SBA has a program which provides mentors for small businesses.

Phil

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10201 of 19380
Subject: Re: Volunteer work Date: 11/9/2005 11:10 AM
Don't overlook local service organizations like Kiwanis or Rotary. They always need members and they do a lot for the community. Plus you meet some really nice people and hear some interesting programs at the weekly meetings.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement