UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Markzj23 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128073  
Subject: Vonage Date: 12/26/2006 7:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thanks to Verizon, I have been without phone service since Friday afternoon! They were suppose to come this afternoon and are still not here.

Does anyone use or have Vonage as their phone provider?

Can you tell me the pros and cons of this service?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Print the post Back To Top
Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84540 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/26/2006 10:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I just recently got sunrocket and am extremely satisifed with everything, especially the voice quality, so far. My brother has been using vonage for a few months and is reasonably satisified, but has to reset the PAP2 box every few days or his voice quality deteriorates.

Pros - less expensive, all features included, lots and lots of features, voicemail on computer or email, can take box with you and connect to any broadband connection and take your phone service with you wherever you go.

Cons - when electric power goes away, no phone service, when cable/DSL is down, no phone service.

Author: psutey One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84541 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/26/2006 11:05 PM
We've had Vonage for over a year. No problems, unless power goes down. We have cell phones as back-up. When power goes out (rarely and briefly) we are more annoyed about losing computer connectivity than phone.

I like being able to foward the calls to my cell easily and even from work if I forget...just log on to the Vonage website to make the change. I can listen to voicemail via the computer as well.

We have the lowest cost plan and have never gone over our alloted out-going calls (we use our cell phones to call family plan members).

Our number ported over from our original Verizon land-line plan with Vonage doing all the work as I remember.

Set up was easy, maintenance has been minimal (knock on wood).

Pam

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84543 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/26/2006 11:32 PM
I also use SunRocket.

I had been with SBC (now AT&T) when I switched. Mine phone number switched over without any problem. I hooked it up to my house phone wiring, so all my phone jacks are live.

I'd say that for most calls, the voice quality is indistinguishable from SBC.

The main difference is this:
With SBC. 99.9% of calls had excellent sound quality, and 99.9% of the time calls went through on the first try.

With SunRocket, about 95% of calls have excellent sound quality, and about 97% of calls go through the time.

On the other hand, my phone bill dropped by $600/year, so it's worth it for the minor inconvenience.

Author: RkeFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84574 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/27/2006 1:54 PM
Does anyone use or have Vonage as their phone provider?

Not Vonage, but I do have Packet8 for a second line for the small business I run out of a home office.... http://www.packet8.net/

I've only had them for about 1 1/2 months, but I haven't had any major problems with them. (The only issue I had was with voicemail, and that was a little undocumented "feature" I found by accident that they easily fixed.) :)

RkeFool

Author: bankingintern Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84575 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/27/2006 1:58 PM
I have sun rocket. The service is great!

The real reason I use sun rocket is that I pay $199 for two years of service. They run this deal from time to time, or you can get it if you ask for it. That is $8.30 per month for all local, long distance, and $3 per month of international calling which is a HUGE price advantage. Plus they don't try and charge you for "caller id" and other items like the local phone company.

I've noticed there are a few times that a phone call will not go through with my Polycom Soundstation speaker phone. But every other phone doesn't have this problem.
Another Neat feature is that you can take your "gizmo" box with you and have your phone work if you plug into a eithernet plug. This is a nice feature if you travel a lot.

If you have some form of broadband internet I would say based on price alone almost everyone should switch. I have the FIOS fiber optic service, so I don't lose my internet connection when the power is out because it has a battery backup.

Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84648 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/28/2006 10:23 PM
We got Vonage about a month ago in preparation of moving. One call I had (a long distance call) had somewhat iffy quality, all else have been fine.

What I like best (other than the low cost) - Voice mails are emailed to me. I just love listening to them without having to call in for messages.

What I like least - when the cable internet went out briefly there went Vonage (not a big deal though since I still had cell phone)

Author: Leana Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84656 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/29/2006 10:26 AM
bankingintern,

You said you had and liked Sun Rocket.

Did you have to do anything special to get Sun Rocket to work on all the phones in your house?

Is it just as easy as plugging the "gizmo" into the phone system and then you have access at each phone or is there more to it?

The reason I'm asking is that some of the Internet phones I've looked into give all sorts of dire warnings about not being able to use the existing phone system, some say it may or may not work, and some don't mention it at all.

Thanks,

Leana

Author: Bonhoeffer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84658 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/29/2006 10:33 AM
Recommendations: 1
All the phone wiring in your house branches off of one cable that goes out to your local telephone company's pedistal somewhere outside your house. If you continue to have any service from your local phone company, your house's wiring is "hot" with the signal from the phone company. Plugging any VOIP device into a hot phone jack risks damaging the "gizmo" with the voltage from the phone company.

However, if you order a complete disconnect of service from your local phone company, then the wiring is "dead." They unplug the wires at the CO that ultimately send service to your house. At which point the phone wiring in your house is just dark copper. It is safe to plug a VOIP gizmo into that dead wiring, which then pumps your VOIP phone signal to all the phone jacks in your house.

Doesn't matter which VOIP service provider you use, this is a general rule.

Author: Leana Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84659 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/29/2006 10:37 AM
All the phone wiring in your house branches off of one cable that goes out to your local telephone company's pedistal somewhere outside your house.
However, if you order a complete disconnect of service from your local phone company, then the wiring is "dead." They unplug the wires at the CO that ultimately send service to your house. At which point the phone wiring in your house is just dark copper. It is safe to plug a VOIP gizmo into that dead wiring, which then pumps your VOIP phone signal to all the phone jacks in your house.

So I could just unplug the wires that come in the box at the back of my house. (I know I can do this, because I've messed with them before to re-route one of the two lines.) Then I could plug in the converter box and should have service at all the phones.

Leana

Author: bankingintern Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84660 of 128073
Subject: Re: Vonage Date: 12/29/2006 10:47 AM
What I like least - when the cable internet went out briefly there went Vonage (not a big deal though since I still had cell phone)

Actually one thing I LOVE about my VOIP is the ability to have it ring both my home number and cell phone at the same time. Sunrocket lets you do this with up to 5 numbers. I do both my cell phone and my wife's in addition to the home number.

If the power cuts out, no big deal because all my home calls can be answered by my cell phone anyway. Not at the house because I'm on vacation, no big deal. At the grocery store, I can still answer the home number.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement