Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5037  
Subject: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/6/2008 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
This is off topic, but I did not wish to interrupt Sasha's Politics and Ethics thread. Surprising so many people just answered No. But not surprising, because it is true

Political campaigning has become a large advertising campaign based on selling you the best appearing candidate for the 'job'
It really has little to do with the most Statesmanlike or most capable candidate, but the one who can get the largest advertising budget from the most supporters with the most capable ad team to present the Product to be favorable, preferably enthusiastic supporters, to large sections of the population.

This is a simplistic view, but it covers the major points. In our system, there are some areas of the country that are not worth campaigning in or even proposing favorable legislation.There would not be enough electoral votes to be worth while.

Spin is it. Palin has been presented to to be hard hitting and just/fair. But when you look into the background of the cited events you find a different story. Obama has been presented as an advocate of change. Did you forget he is from Chicago? The Daley City? Find out how he won his first election, he was unopposed. McCain is being presented as a Maverick, a free thinker who does the right thing despite the Party line. This ad campaign started in '97. And his voting record belies the image.
I believe with a spin doctor of Rove or better ability I could make having sex with an underage mentally handicapped child look like a humanitarian gift to the ages. And that is what you should expect from any political campaign.

So no, I don't see anything ethical about politics. I keep forgetting it, but this year I suddenly woke up and remembered. The idea to present the candidate in the most Holy Light, his achievements to akin to the Way of the Cross while always working for the Greater Good (yours) and his future time in office to be like getting Manna from Heaven in a Land of Milk and Honey.

There have been some good presidents. Most of the ones remembered as Good had a tremendous opposition during the time they were in office, but left policies or programs behind that made them memorable. I have changed my mind over the years of who was great and who was not. Because History has much less spin.

jC

suffering from Ring Around the Collar
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2379 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/7/2008 2:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
well said, joe.
and thanks.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2380 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/7/2008 5:46 PM
jC

I can't vote for Tide, it makes me itch:)

LWW

Author: jdgee2 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2381 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/7/2008 6:57 PM
Recommendations: 0
What comes to my mind, when hearing this, or similar topics being discussed, is that our government is representative of the people who voted the politicians into office.

Best Wishes, Jon

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2382 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/7/2008 8:31 PM
LWW,

I an currently vetting 2 new candidates, Wisk and Ivory.

Do you have a preference? Or perhaps some dirt on one or the other?

jC ;-)

Author: XWordPhile Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2383 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/7/2008 8:39 PM
What comes to my mind, when hearing this, or similar topics being discussed, is that our government is representative of the people who voted the politicians into office.

Who was it who said we get the government we deserve?

The average American is reallyx10 stupid. I don't know who said this, but "think how stupid the average American is. Now remember, half are even dumber than this."
(we, on this board, are far, far above average, of course :-))

I am also sick of hearing that tired old lie that "My vote counts!" B*llsh!t! Of all the offices I've voted on, from village idiot to Idiot-in-Chief, there are exactly *two* candidates in office that I voted for. And then there are the propositions. Yeah...my vote counts...NOT!

You can tell me it's my duty to vote. I'll certainly buy that. But please don't tell me my vote counts. No one believes that--that's the real reason voter turnout is so low.

The three biggest lies:

1. Of course I'll still respect you in the morning.
2. The check is in the mail.
3. Your vote counts!

Author: jdgee2 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2384 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/7/2008 8:53 PM
Hey XWordPhile - Your vote counts !

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2385 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/7/2008 10:36 PM
our government is representative of the people who voted the politicians into office.

I heard this a different way, but yes I think it is true. Idiots and ignoramus' are allowed, but it is up to the Majority to actually listen to what is being presented and make a rational Judgment on it.

If we do not act intelligently we will not get an intelligent representative.

I have met a lot of people recently who are going to vote for their imagination instead of Who they are.

Case in point: A black man is voting for Obama.
jC: Why?
BM: because he is Black!

So I should vote for McCain because he is Irish?
I much prefer you listen to some campaign rhetoric ... I mean speeches, and Judge the candidate against your own personal Values. I am having a difficult time of doing it this year, so I listen more. just so I can make an informed decision.

jC

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2386 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 10:18 AM

Do you have a preference? Or perhaps some dirt on one or the other?

I don't have any dirt on Wisk, however, I have it on good authority that Ivory is 99.9% pure. Pure what, I have no idea:)

LWW

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2387 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 11:04 AM
I haven't used Wisk since the 1970s because of their obnoxious "Ring around the collar" commercials. The commercials were always about some woman being mortified in public because "dear hubby" had a ring of dirt around his collar. If she had used Wisk, there wouldn't have been a ring.

Dear hubby can wash his own darned shirts!

Love
Loving

Author: lovingrose Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2388 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 11:06 AM
I have met a lot of people recently who are going to vote for their imagination instead of Who they are.

Case in point: A black man is voting for Obama.
jC: Why?
BM: because he is Black!
I've met some women recently who are insinuating they'll be voting for Palin for the same reason.

Palin scares me. Those women scare me even more.

Love
Loving

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2389 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 3
I haven't used Wisk since the 1970s because of their obnoxious "Ring around the collar" commercials.

Ah, but as my father the ad-man used to say -- you're remembering the product.

btw, I agree with you.

<>i>Dear hubby can wash his own darned shirts!

Many years ago, one of Oh Doc's aunts gave him a pile of shirts her son no longer wore. She told me that they were all cotton so I'd need to iron them.

The whole set of inlaws was appalled when I replied,

"They're his shirts. He can iron them."

~~ Alison, bad inlaw

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2390 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 12:51 PM
Loving,
Palin scares me. Those women scare me even more.

Palin was a good choice for McCain. She appeals to the independent in complete control of their lives manager type women while at the same time doing the men /sports things like hunting and fishing and gutting moose.

My surprise was a Hillary fan who declared she would not vote Republican Because of Palin.
I don't understand, but I am glad she is looking at the candidate and not just a female candidate.

As you are.

jC

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2391 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 1:02 PM
Ah, but as my father the ad-man used to say -- you're remembering the product.

Just what the candidates are doing.

Create an image, saturate the media with the selected image, refer to the image in every speech, the image becomes the man (or woman) .

McCain has done it with his veteran status and Maverick image. Obama has done it with his Change, not-the-same-old-thing image.

You should interview your father about advertising techniques and see how relevant is is to political campaigning.

jC

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2392 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 1:53 PM
You should interview your father about advertising techniques and see how relevant is is to political campaigning.

That could be very interesting. He's been out of the business for some time, but he say many changes over the years. They did book advertising, and when he started, it was very much more "publishing" rather than "marketing."

~~ Alison

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2393 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 4:00 PM
jc: you dont understand why some woman wont vote republican because of
palin???? even some republicans are against her stand on abortion......
s

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2394 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 5:48 PM
jc: you dont understand why some woman wont vote republican because of
palin???? even some republicans are against her stand on abortion......
s

Her personal stand on the issue isn't so relevant as whether or not she is willing to back the law of the land. I hear a lot about many candidates who have personal beliefs that don't jibe with what the law says. But until the executive branch starts making the laws (we have a legislative branch for that) I don't think it's something that could be a deal breaker. That said, I don't intend to vote for them, but that's more a reflection on McCain than on her.

LWW

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2395 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/8/2008 6:59 PM
you dont understand why some woman wont vote republican because of
palin????

From a womans point of view, I see Palin as having a husband.
She goes out hunting, tracks muddy boots across the floor, lets You take care of the kids, gone for days campaigning, btiches when dinner is not ready when she gets home, .... I would not be surprised if she drinks beer in front of the TV.

A husband with boobs AND she leaves the seat down.

Since that is what a lot of women have, How could you object to it?

jC

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2396 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 1:55 PM
Recommendations: 4
jC:

i doubt most voters reflect as much as you do..........we HEAR all the
things she is RABIDLY against, and i strongly doubt that all the people
who are AGAINST WHAT SHE'S AGAINST, stop to think about the law......and it's not so hard to repeall or change a law.....it happens all
the time........all it takes is a change in the majority.

roe vs wade is in great jeopardy....one more republican appointed supreme
and reversing that law can happen.......her opinions on most social issues
are extremely scary..........maybe EVEN TO SOME REPUBLICAN WOMEN....... in my opinion,

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2397 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 2:00 PM
and jC........with all due respect, you cant have a woman 's point of view.
there is no such thing.........

you can have the point view of SOME women........perhaps.

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2398 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 3:18 PM
Recommendations: 4
i doubt most voters reflect as much as you do..........
That is probably my biggest personal failing.
I think. And I don't have a box.

.....and it's not so hard to repeal or change a law.....
Really? I think it takes a concerted effort over a period of time, including stacking the deck in the Supreme Court
RvsW was made by a unique Court that, I believe, had only one lawyer or judge on it. We will not see that again, perhaps ever. And there are a lot of openings comming up

roe vs wade is in great jeopardy....

Much more is at risk. One law passed by Bush (W) made the issue of unsecured home loans possible. (guess who was a supporter?) The industry ran with it, slowly, until you could get a no doc loan. And a sub prime mortgage crisis
Your phone can be tapped. Because the White House said so. No law was passed, and it is a question if one was broken. (mine too, I called Norway last year) It is inches away from monitoring your web habits, but there are no lawsuits on that yet.
Reagan, Nixon and both Bushes have created a lot more power in the Presidency than ever existed before. I think it is time to change that. Or perhaps too late.
Find a country that interferes with the US ideals? Bomb them. Pre Eisenhower the President had to have Congress vote on an Act of War.

Do you have cable TV? In 2 years there will be no "free" TV. Digital does not broadcast well. Radio will be the next to be pay only. Since you are 'subscribed' and digitized everyone can be monitored by Nielson ratings, even if you mute commercials, it's recorded. In a time of war we will have CB radio, that's it.

Sasha, I Fear McCain. I Fear Obama. I Never Trusted Hillary. Palin scares the krap out of me like looking down the barrel of a 12 gage.

I watch and listen to people talking about their 'preferred candidate' and wonder Why? He won't help you. He is Not like you unless you went to Harvard or Yale, got a law degree and make a million $ each year.

I want a Lincoln or perhaps a Washington to vote for. Not the guys who the S&P 500 support. I want a Ghandi or a Martin L King. I want to TRUST my president.

jC, stepping off his personalized soap box

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2399 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 3:40 PM
"you cant have a woman 's point of view."

I sit corrected.
jC

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2400 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 4:17 PM
I want a Lincoln or perhaps a Washington to vote for. Not the guys who the S&P 500 support. I want a Ghandi or a Martin L King. I want to TRUST my president.

Sadly, jC, that's something we'd all like to have, but I don't think it will ever happen. Years ago, when we didn't have a media that monitored our every move, presidents and other heads of state were off limits for anything but good press. When the person was running, you could have mudslinging, but you'd better be sure you could back up what you said. Once they were elected, it was hands off. It's now common knowledge that FDR and JFK both had mistresses while in office, but during the time they were actually in office, not a word was breathed to the press. Think of the uproar there would be if it was leaked that our president today (no matter which person that may be) was contemplating ending a war by dropping atomic bombs over the country we were at war with, and that there was no way to predict what the fall out might be. We'd be outraged! We'd demand that innocent men, women and children not be killed. But that's how we ended the war in the Pacific during WWII and no one in the general public had a clue until it was a done deal. These days any possible skeleton is dragged out and paraded in front of the country should any decent citizen decide to run for office. The mudslinging knows no end, and rumor and innuendo has become accepted as truth. What's the end result? Good upstanding people aren't willing to subject their families and themselves to the harsh treatment and so the only ones who end up running are those who are able to stoop to new lows even as they dodge the mud sent their way.

LWW

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2401 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 7:52 PM
Years ago, when we didn't have a media that monitored our Their,every move,
I think the Nixon tapes was the turn about. The way W runs his office shows a similarity to him.

you could have mudslinging, but you'd better be sure you could back up what you said.
Pre and post Civil War the thing was to make egregious accusations on Mon and print a retraction on Thurs .... on page 9

FDR and JFK both had mistresses while in office,
I forget the exact number but I believe 6 presidents had affairs or hookers while in office. But divorce was death, and we had just one unmarried President.

our president today (no matter which person that may be) was contemplating ending a war by dropping atomic bombs
uuuh, that was a Declared War, as Commander in Chief he had that right. And he Did take a lot of bad press for months. (speak to a Japanese today, they still hate him)

These days any possible skeleton is dragged out and paraded in front of the country should any decent citizen decide to run for office.
Which is why I want a Ghandi. Or a priest. Or at least Jesus.

innuendo has become accepted as truth.
The Power of the Internet? I think they use that old trick, insert a link to the correction on page 9
I feel both ways on blogs and the Net. Speed is good and bad, Accuracy is Required

those who are able to stoop to new lows even as they dodge the mud sent their way.
It's also who has the time and the money as well as experienced liars. My Mayor owns 12 houses and a business. He has done some borderline stuff but got away with it because his opponent had only hearsay, no video.
But you are right, only the "select few" even Want to run for office.

jC

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2402 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 10:03 PM
ocd.........<<all it takes is a majority...>>
should have read
'all it takes is a majority of one in the supreme court...'

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2403 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 10:31 PM
uuuh, that was a Declared War, as Commander in Chief he had that right. And he Did take a lot of bad press for months. (speak to a Japanese today, they still hate him)

I'm not questioning his right as Commander in Chief, and he certainly had bad press afterwards, I'm saying that had the newspapers reported before the fact that he intended to do that, people would not stand for it.

LWW

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2404 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/9/2008 11:42 PM
innuendo has become accepted as truth.
The Power of the Internet? I think they use that old trick, insert a link to the correction on page 9
I feel both ways on blogs and the Net. Speed is good and bad, Accuracy is Required

Political Language --
Guaranteed Effective All-Occasion Non-Slanderous Political Smear Speech:

http://www.mendosa.com/politics.html

scroll down to a description of the 1950 Florida campaign

~~ Alison

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2405 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 12:02 AM
LWW,

I'm saying that had the newspapers reported before the fact that he intended to do that, people would not stand for it.

Oh. ooops.

So suppose we are in a World War with [China?] [Iraq?] and we have txt, phone message, interned etc and we wanted to drop ..... oh a Neutron* bomb. The war is 3 years on, one faction has given up. Six million 'enemy' are still fighting, fiercely. Peace is not likely.

You have ONE Week to vote, one vote per person.      Vote.

jC

*Neutron bombs destroy all Life but leave structures intact. The half life of a Neutrino is days, so in 3-4 months it would not be hazardous to life at all.

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2406 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 9:28 AM
Allison,

Dam that's GOOD!

I think if I put that up at work they would make me take it down for obscenity. Or defamation. Or incongruity. Or because they don't f'n understand Engrish!

jC

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2407 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 9:34 AM
*Neutron bombs destroy all Life but leave structures intact. The half life of a Neutrino is days, so in 3-4 months it would not be hazardous to life at all.

I still don't think that people in this country would agree to wiping out all the citizens in a country, just to end a war. It's one thing to wipe out an army, it's another to take out innocent men, women and children. And once the people are wiped out, who would be living in the structures left behind? Keep in mind that when the first atomic bomb was dropped no one knew exactly how well it was going to work or what the fall out would be. I still remember seeing old films of people getting doused with radioactive dust after the "tests" were run in the South Pacific and the American deserts and salt flats. Aren't there still islands in the South Pacific that are no longer inhabitable because of the testing of the atomic bombs? I think I'd have to vote no.

LWW

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2408 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 9:56 AM
I think I'd have to vote no.

I think everyone would. Personally I oppose all wars.

But countless presidents, kings, ministers etc have made the choice to send young soldiers to war with the full knowledge that most of them will not come back. And in the action of the war there will be a lot of collateral damage, a euphemism for killing innocent civilians, destroying historic buildings and artifacts and laying waste to the land.

Balancing the Greater Good of killing thousands for the sake of millions seems to have some logic, but then you have to realize that thousands died, at your hand.

I don't see a need for war. But if the decision is made to war, I follow McCain's idea, go in with sufficient force to overwhelm them quickly and don't leave until the opposition is vanquished. Then get out.

We don't fight wars like that anymore. We have idealistic plans that are not well defined so you never know when you have won. So it never ends.

jC

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2409 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 10:41 AM
We don't fight wars like that anymore. We have idealistic plans that are not well defined so you never know when you have won. So it never ends.

I read somewhere that the rules of war changed when we fought the first one in Southeast Asia. Having to fight in jungles and never knowing where your enemy might be hiding, changed the way wars have been fought ever since. The first Gulf war was a get in/hit hard/get out. I think we got spoiled with how well it went. Then when we got into the mess we're in now, the leaders were shocked that it didn't work the same way.

Someday, I'd like to see the US not insist on being the watchdog for the world.

LWW

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2410 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 10:48 AM
The first Gulf war was a get in/hit hard/get out.

Ah, but see, that's because Daddy Bush, having actually some knowledge of international politics, unlike Shrub, had a PLAN. There was a clearly defined GOAL (get the Iraqis out of Kuwait). With a clearly defined goal, and nearly unanimous international support, it's easy to get in and out!

Shrub never had a real plan or goal or international support.

Ishtar

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2411 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 11:24 AM
that's GOOD!

Glad you enjoyed it!

Or because they don't f'n understand Engrish!

Did you ever hear about the DC brouhaha over the word "niggardly" some time ago?

http://www.adversity.net/special/niggardly.htm

~~ Alison

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2412 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 11:28 AM
Shrub never had a real plan or goal or international support.

So sad, and yet so true.

LWW

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2413 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 12:50 PM
Having to fight in jungles and never knowing where your enemy might be hiding, changed the way wars have been fought ever since.

Like the American revolutionaries against the British? Four snipers can cause a lot of terror in an organized force and pick up and vanish. Just like they are doing in Iraq with roadside bombs.

Rumsfeld had changed the way American troops fought to a quick attack force. It is efficient and effective as Rommel proved in Africa, easy to supply and cheap because you don't need food and shelters as an occupation army does.

Really a matter of choosing the correct technique. Air attacks were very effective for factories and do not work on troops. But a single Predator R/C can effectively attack a car convoy successfully.

Someday, I'd like to see the US not insist on being the watchdog for the world.

That's the WHOLE answer. We $upport different countries for political reasons and interfere with those of idealogical differences. Time to stop wasting millions and pave the roads and educate the kids.

jC

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2414 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 1:01 PM
the DC brouhaha over the word "niggardly"

I got in trouble with my boss for using that word correctly. His ignorance of the language is his own problem.

Recently I was called down for using "tar and feathered" because it had a black racial connotation. It does not. I spent a lot of time on google to see it is early Christian, colonist, Irish and religious in origin and was rarely practiced in the South.

I get annoyed when PC interferes with intelligent conversation.

jC

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2415 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 1:36 PM
i got fa'd for using the word niggardly.....
i also got fa'd for telling a poster he had a waspish tone.......
waspish, as any dictionary will tell you, means 'stinging'....not w.a.s.p.....

nanny-fool needs a thesaurus......

s.

hmm: wonder if this post will sticki........t...

oh yeah......a couple of threads back we were using the term:
pussyfooting around....i, in my wisdom, separated
the 2 words...ie: pu--y footing, and was cited for using a bad
word.

what if someone's name was pu--y, or the nickname for richard??.

Author: mycache101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2416 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 1:53 PM
LOL Sasha!

From the time I was 4 yrs old I had a string boyfriends named Richard. Some of them were Dick's, other's were Rich.
I know a guy whose last name was Head. He waited for the day a police officer asked him for his full name...

Julie

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2417 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 2:07 PM
Time to stop wasting millions and pave the roads and educate the kids.

You got that right!

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2418 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 4:13 PM
You mean like Pu**y Galore from the 007 films, or D1ck Dasterdly from the...dang! I can't remember which show he was on. Maybe a cartoon from the 70s?

LWW

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2419 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 4:24 PM
Recently I was called down for using "tar and feathered" because it had a black racial connotation. It does not. I spent a lot of time on google to see it is early Christian, colonist, Irish and religious in origin and was rarely practiced in the South.

I get annoyed when PC interferes with intelligent conversation.

It does make for some interestingly censored conversations. We have a lot of phrases we use in the South that are absolutely not used north of the Mason Dixon as they would have the wrong connotation.

And while I'm thinking about it, what's with the gender-biased packaging on Orbit bubblemint gum? My package has a circle with an arrow coming out of it, pointing to the lid flap. Clearly an indication that the gum is male:)

LWW
way too much time on my hands today

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2421 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 4:42 PM
also got fa'd for telling a poster he had a waspish tone.......

"If I be waspish, best beware my sting!"

Katherine, uh, I mean

Ishtar

Author: sashamore Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2422 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/10/2008 4:54 PM
lol julie,,,, re yer friend, richard....
i too have a friend named ricchard.. richard small. he calls himself
rick because of the way most applications, etc. request the last
name fist.......small rick tends to sound better.

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2430 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/11/2008 2:26 PM
We $upport different countries for political reasons and interfere with those of ideological differences.

I'm in the midst of reading Tim Weiner's "Legacy of Ashes: The History of the CIA" -- Some of what's written just keeps me shaking my head in disbelief. I find some of it pretty frightening too.

http://tinyurl.com/6yce5r

(link to Amazon)

~~ Alison

Author: anuvaka Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2434 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/11/2008 3:22 PM
Alison
Please stop reading about 6 PM. I don.t want you to have bad dreams.

jC

Author: AlisonWonderland Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2435 of 5037
Subject: Re: Vote for Tide! Date: 9/11/2008 5:29 PM
Please stop reading about 6 PM. I don.t want you to have bad dreams.

Thanks, jC. I guess I'd better not share any excerpts (unless asked, of course!) -- I don't want anyone else to have bad dreams.

;^D

~~ Alison

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement