No. of Recommendations: 0
Voting is one avenue, but it is severely restricted.

In the last presidential election Dole and Clinton refused to even permit the other candidates to participate in a debate. What kind of democracy is that?

Two presidential elections ago Perot, bless his pretty little charts and graphs, at least got this country focused on paying down the national debt regardless of how many of his screws may be loose. And if you remember the percentage of participating voters was much higher than usual.

In order for voting to work as an accountability process our political system needs to be opened up. I would hope for the day that anybody that got their name on the ballot in 35 or more states would be included as an equal in things like federal funding, free air time in debates, etc.

There is more diversity of opinion on this website than there is in our political process. That is unfortunate.

As an example, there are a number of stores that I do not visit. The reason is not because of my apathy. It is because I do not want their products. No one has been forced to use the Internet. Hundreds of millions people use it because it provides information and services they want!

Personally I think it is gross voter irresponsibility to vote for the better of to evils. You are only condoning the current set of social misfits, felons and megalomaniacs that have risen to the top of our political system. Unless there is a candidate I am willing to follow, who I want to govern me, I will not vote for them. I do however regularly vote against every tax measure that comes up on a ballot.

Later
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement